General Discussion Triathlon Talk » the need to run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-30 2:59 PM

User image

Los Angeles, California
Subject: the need to run
ok, I don't think I'll write anything like this since till recently I absolutely hated running but ever since I got into triathlons my addiction runninng/swimming/biking grows. Due to work schedule bike has to wait till weekends but swimming/running became a huge part of my everyday life. and all of this is awesome except for the fact that last week I was getting progressively more tired to the point where yesterday I had to cut my run short as it felt like there was no energy left in my body.

problem is it looks like my body needs a break while my mind is craving more. While an avid hiker/mountaineer and what not I'm very new to the actual sport training and was wondering if this is normal and what do you seasoned people do in situations like this. I tried taking it easier and slower and taking more breaks but while my body is probably most appreciative of the fact my mind is not. after cutting the run short yesterday I was itching to run for the rest of the day and today in the office all I can think of is running even though I'm almost sure my body still needs more rest.

Its a very new experience to me craving a workout that bad and was wondering if it's a normal thing and how do you guys take your mind off of it. over the course of the week I tried to switch gears to stretching, doing some tai chi, reading up more on technique, lifting some weights to take my mind off running but it doesn't seem to work all that well. Unless I run (and at least some of it fast) I just don't have any peace of mind.

I'm not looking forward to injury or developing any long term issues due to overtraining so any words of wisdom are much appreciated.

2014-09-30 10:38 PM
in reply to: #5055508

User image

New user
Sanford, Florida
Subject: RE: the need to run
Wauw, I really recognize myself in here. I've been like you and always pushed the limit to the point where I got an injury and pushed even further and then I had to stop running.

Got depressed over that bla bla bla.......

Every 2 to 3 weeks your body needs a recovery week. There are plenty of good schedules on this website that only allow you to increase 10 % per week.

Stick to that rule.
2014-10-01 6:34 AM
in reply to: woosh

New user
Key West
Well, having been a runner for over 33 years, I can testify to the fact that it can indeed become an addiction. In my mind, a positive addiction, but an addiction none the less. But, in any event, if you are fatigued or injured you need to recognize that and cut back or slow down. It doesn't always mean you have to stop, unless you have a serious injury, but respect the signals your body sends and dial it down. That might be an extra day off (yes, you might be a little grumpy), slowing your pace, or shortening your run.
2014-10-01 11:58 AM
in reply to: topolina

User image

Los Angeles, California
thanks for the replies guys! looks like no shortcuts here.. the hard lesson I'm learning over and over is that it's mind more than body that needs training. I guess I'll be doing patience workouts on my rest day
2014-10-01 12:09 PM
in reply to: 0

There are exceptions, but I can almost guarantee that you still are not running enough for substantive improvement. If you fill us in on your run background if any, and current mpw or weekly training structure, it'll clarify a lot. 

Even if you're new to running and thus can't actually run 4+ days per week without injury, you can still walk on the days you still feel the urge to run, and yes, it will build injury resistance. If you're already running, even running super slow 14+minute miles on the nonkey days will help for running - there are no such things as junk miles in running if you do it slowly and carefully. 

Overtraining is actually pretty hard to do as an AGer. It takes weeks, if not months, of serious beat-down. One or two weeks of toughing out is not overtraining -that's adapting to training load. You are supposed to feel beaten down once in awhile - that's good. (Beaten down for 3-4 weeks, not good.)

Edited by yazmaster 2014-10-01 12:11 PM
2014-10-01 2:53 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Los Angeles, California
thanks Yaz! I'm very new to consistently training for sport events hence I am yet to learn the difference between good tired and bad tired. I have zero background in running and in fact hated running all my life till a couple of months ago. and you are probably right in saying I might not be training enough for good improvement but I'm finally learning the lesson on not going in too fast too soon into something new which caused a lot of injuries throughout my life before. so I'm testing the waters for that balance between too much and not enough.

the whole thing started as a fun project to see what my body can do so I don't have a plan yet and just do whatever makes me pleasantly tired. I'm running during my lunch break on weekdays so I don't push myself to the point of total exhaustion since I still need a productive half a day in the office after the run. at this point I run 5-6 times a week, 5-10 miles each time depending on the day. I'm obviously on the slow side so I set myself a goal of running 3-4 7min miles with short breaks in between and the rest depending on how I feel and the time remaning. That was hitting a sweet spot in terms of run time / fatigue level by the end of the workout. I do some 6min/mile bursts for a minute or so occasionally just for fun to feel what it is and just how much room for improvement there is.

good to hear that it's hard to overtrain. I usually have a tendency of overdoing things so it's good to know you can't kill yourself in a few days

and yes, I ended up logging in slow miles still yesterday, it's just not as satisfying as running fast and it doesn't help with the craving to run. I guess that's just an overzealous noob in me

2014-10-01 3:57 PM

That's actually a very decent training load even for a regular runner - good work there! 

I'm not recommending you dramatically change anything you're doing, but the most important thing for running is to keep the BIG picture in mind. 1, 2, even 3 weeks of abnormally high run volume from overeagerness can do more harm than good. (It can also help give a good training stimulus, but you should be aware that it's a risk and do it knowingly.

It may be helpful for you to document your current run volume, and then sit down and use your excited mental energy to map out a progressive run plan that will take you to your next goal, be it speed or volume, for the next 2-3 months. It doesn' thave to be complicated - it can even be more of the same for now, but committing to REGULAR training for the long haul is what will make the difference.

It's easy to put up 'big training' numbers for a week, or even two. It's much harder (and much more effective) to put up 'decent' training numbers for 4 months with great consistency.

2014-10-01 5:35 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Los Angeles, California
yeah, looks like I'll have to slow down for a few days do some adjustments to my "plan" and expectations thanks for the all the feedback though, it actually provided a lot of food for thought.
2014-10-02 2:52 PM

Veteran
41° 4' 36" N 71° 56' 10" W
Maybe you need your fix, but there's always stairs and a stionary bike, right?
2014-10-02 6:19 PM
in reply to: JohnP_NY

User image

Los Angeles, California
tru dat but there's just something magical about running fast, nothing else comes close to it for me. swimming is second best but I am so bad at it I'm reluctant to make a switch till I sign up for some lessons and start learning technique. So slow miles/low volume for me this week. will probably have some fun outdoors on the weekend. actually now that I've forced myself to slow down for a few days the urge is not as strong and kinda manageable. even though I still can't wait to get back
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » the need to run Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

To Run Fast, You Need To Run Fast Pages: 1 2

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 4671 Posts: 41

2013-10-25 10:47 AM Tryrn

I need to run faster....

Started by Cando
Views: 1576 Posts: 14

2007-05-22 4:03 PM agaliza

Need some run advice......

Started by Little Tom
Views: 736 Posts: 5

2006-01-29 6:43 AM KenMierke

Need good running shoe store in Colorado

Started by macaco
Views: 910 Posts: 9

2005-02-16 11:18 AM Cuda

need a run work out or two

Started by lilbear7
Views: 642 Posts: 7

2004-05-28 4:56 AM Flyboy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 22, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Confused about how much protein you need, when you need it, and the best kinds of protein? The following article answers some of the questions active people commonly ask about protein.

date : July 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
Third in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : May 19, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
First in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : February 22, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on caloric needs for weightloss and workouts plus whole wheat breads.
date : November 11, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Sleep is one of your answers to keep the doctor away. But how much is enough sleep? We'll discuss the benefits of getting a proper amount of sleep and the risks of not getting enough.

date : March 4, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on wide feet, Ironman nutrition and it's importance, the use of fins in swimming, transition mistakes, special needs bags and running sockless.
date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?

date : June 17, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Is it a good idea to wear winter training clothing while training in 70 degree weather in an attempt to artificially mimic warmer weather similiar to my race?