General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's going to be your focus this winter? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-01 12:34 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: What's going to be your focus this winter?
I was going to say "offseason" rather than "winter", but changed it at the last second. For some, there's not really an offseason.

Anyways, what's the plan this coming winter? Are you finally going to become that fishie? Are you going to dust off the trainer and really hit it hard? Half marathon or full?

I'm going to really hammer the bike again this winter. Using Trainerroad + Sufferfest really helped my cycling and I feel another winter of focused, high intensity training will yield good results for the next year.

2014-10-01 12:37 PM
in reply to: d00d

User image

Subject: RE: What's going to be your focus this winter?
I just picked up a used powertap, and I hope to get in some good trainer sessions this winter. What kind of investment did you make in trainer road & sufferfest? What frequency did you do sufferfest?

Alternatively to sufferfest, I am considering buying an "outseason" plan.
2014-10-01 12:57 PM
in reply to: GeekByExample

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Not sure d00d. Maybe prep for a March marathon...or just continue as I have been the past few months- some running, some swimming, some biking. I hate the trainer but love running in the crisp NC winters, so the marry planning sounds good. I am thinking of a short course tri season next year so not sure how marathon training fits with that but we'll see. If I do the marry plan I am looking forward to lots of snarky comments from you d00d!
2014-10-01 1:41 PM
in reply to: GeekByExample

User image

Elite
Originally posted by GeekByExample

I just picked up a used powertap, and I hope to get in some good trainer sessions this winter. What kind of investment did you make in trainer road & sufferfest? What frequency did you do sufferfest?

Alternatively to sufferfest, I am considering buying an "outseason" plan.

I was doing 4-5 sessions a week (aimed for 6 hours), with each session in the 60-90 min range. Let me tell you that those are some serious workouts. You'll suffer, you'll sweat, and you'll be uncomfortable. My legs were wobbly when I was done. That being said, they work.

One caveat...I did get fatigued (pretty severely) during a stretch b/c those workouts are intense. I didn't back down and tried to just train through the fatigue and it made it worse. You will probably want to build up to the longer weeks and not dive in headfirst into a 6+ hour week.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
2014-10-01 7:26 PM
in reply to: #5055820

User image

, North Carolina
Try to get balanced. Need to bike way more. Hopefully get a trainer and start riding it 2x a week and maybe get out on a weekend ride. Would also love to get to 20 miles a week running.
2014-10-02 8:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Originally posted by louiskie

Not sure d00d. Maybe prep for a March marathon...or just continue as I have been the past few months- some running, some swimming, some biking. I hate the trainer but love running in the crisp NC winters, so the marry planning sounds good. I am thinking of a short course tri season next year so not sure how marathon training fits with that but we'll see. If I do the marry plan I am looking forward to lots of snarky comments from you d00d!

This post ^^^^^^^^ might inspire me.

I might now get on this site more than once per month just so I can come throw in some snarky comments.I say sign up for a marathon, I need some inspiration.

Oh and I thought you were married to B----. Why are you going to do another marry. I say just do a MARATHON.

Edited by qrkid 2014-10-02 8:18 AM

2014-10-02 10:46 AM
in reply to: qrkid

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Originally posted by qrkid

I might now get on this site more than once per month just so I can come throw in some snarky comments.I say sign up for a marathon, I need some inspiration.

Oh and I thought you were married to B----. Why are you going to do another marry. I say just do a MARATHON.

LOL qrkid...funny guy. Now if my signing up for a MARATHON would get you off your rear and running again, I would do it! Deal? And then we can both post snarky comments. I enjoy trash talking someone who can run under 75 mins for a half marathon!
2014-10-03 2:36 PM
in reply to: louiskie

User image

Elite

Originally posted by qrkid

LOL qrkid...funny guy. Now if my signing up for a MARATHON would get you off your rear and running again, I would do it! Deal? And then we can both post snarky comments. I enjoy trash talking someone who can run under 75 mins for a half marathon!

This is not called the "snarky" thread, it's called the "what's going to be your focus this winter?" thread...
If you weren't so snarky all the time, you'd have more time to train...

2014-10-06 8:02 PM
in reply to: d00d

User image

Extreme Veteran
They are forecasting a very cold and wet winter in the NC mtns and I despise the trainer, so Nov - Jan I want to build a good base by running 5x wk. (2x3, 2x6, 1x9-10). Going to Florida for the month of February and intend to ride 5 x week and 2-3 runs @ 6 miles.
2014-10-07 8:34 AM
in reply to: #5055820

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well, I really want to better my swim, and have been trying, but two months of swim clinic and comcentrating on my elusive "catch " have left me slower....seems ignoring the swim gets me the fastest race results.

okay, vent over. What I'll really be doing - ultras! I'm in for the MT. Mitchell Challenge, and before that I'm doing the Battle for Black Rock thirty six miler (on my thirty sixth birthday! ). So in addition to lots of trail running, I want to up the strength training come November.

But first, B2B!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's going to be your focus this winter? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

LBS in Charlotte with MTB focus?

Started by copro
Views: 952 Posts: 5

2013-03-20 8:32 PM jtopham1

winter clothes for biking

Started by frm-fat-2<fat
Views: 861 Posts: 7

2011-10-04 5:18 PM gts

Winter cycling in NC?

Started by trinado
Views: 1979 Posts: 10

2010-09-30 5:46 PM jmkizer

umstead run Sun. AM

Started by spot
Views: 869 Posts: 1

2007-07-27 7:49 AM spot

What's wrong with you people???? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by sunburnin
Views: 1917 Posts: 58

2007-06-18 3:05 PM excited2tri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 0
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.

date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.
date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training

date : November 23, 2010
I want to follow the Winter Maintenance-Run Focus program (8 weeks), but don't know when to start. I also want to do the Intermediate Sprint-12 week program before my first race.
date : December 8, 2006
author : acbadger
This is the time of year where you focus on your ‘weakest’ event and practice your drills, techniques, form, etc. Here I list some BT training plan options to get you through the off-season.

date : October 23, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their run. The athlete must be able to run for at least 1 hour and should be able to complete 4 weekly run sessions.
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their bike. The athlete must be able to bike for at least 1:30 hours and should be able to complete 4-5 weekly bike sessions.

This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their swim. The athlete must be able to swim at least 2,500 yards and at a pace of better than 2:15 per 100.