General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should I run sore when transitionning to minimalist? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-01 4:33 PM

Subject: Should I run sore when transitionning to minimalist?
I am currently switching to minimalists. (Merrell Bare Acces: 0 drop, 8mm padding, very light)

One thing I noticed since I switched is the pain I had in my foot is almost completely gone. (looked like plantar fasciitis + maybe a little Lenoir spur) I just feel much better running in those shoes. With the pain gone, the confidence is building back up and so is my capacity at pushing a little harder/faster.

However, I get sore much faster in the calf. Add to that stair training (I run with a group)...

So, with all those articles around telling us how the transition must be slow, how the risk are high and so forth, I must ask. What kind of injuries do people get when transitioning to minimalist? Should I abstain from running as soon as I am sore, take more rest days?

I suspect a lot of posters will tell me to go super slow/easy. If so, any suggestion/explanations on how to speed up transition or why not attempting it would be appreciated.

I am a fairly new runner and it is by far my slowest discipline. The triathlon season is also over and I plan on participating in a few running events during winter/ fall season.

2014-10-01 5:14 PM
in reply to: Antoine tri

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Should I run sore when transitionning to minimalist?
What heel-to-toe drop shoes did you used to wear? You can gradually transition into a minimalist (0 mm drop) shoes instead of going full out. Make sure you stretch your calf muscles a lot, as they'll probably be pretty tight. If you're not careful you might trade plantar fasciitis for peroneal tendonitis.
2014-10-01 5:17 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
When I transitioned to flat shoes (I have since regressed back up to 4mm drop), I had calf soreness as well. Well, nearly everyone does. Just run a few days in your old shoes to give those tissues a break. Once the calfs feel good again, try the flats again. Better yet, if you know they will be sore at 3 miles, switch shoes 2.5 miles in. That will get you there the soonest.

FWIW...my general plan was adding about a mile per week to run distance in them. I had to spend a couple weeks each at 6+. I would also only run one run a week in them to start and add in another per week about every 3 weeks.

Basically, it took me 3 months before I could run 10+ will no discomfort. So, yeah, go slow.

I hope the result is better for you than it was for me. I could run 2 hours just fine and then that single 1cm piece of gravel right in the arch ruins my day.
2014-10-01 5:27 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by Antoine tri

I am currently switching to minimalists. (Merrell Bare Acces: 0 drop, 8mm padding, very light)

One thing I noticed since I switched is the pain I had in my foot is almost completely gone. (looked like plantar fasciitis + maybe a little Lenoir spur) I just feel much better running in those shoes. With the pain gone, the confidence is building back up and so is my capacity at pushing a little harder/faster.

However, I get sore much faster in the calf. Add to that stair training (I run with a group)...

So, with all those articles around telling us how the transition must be slow, how the risk are high and so forth, I must ask. What kind of injuries do people get when transitioning to minimalist? Should I abstain from running as soon as I am sore, take more rest days?

I suspect a lot of posters will tell me to go super slow/easy. If so, any suggestion/explanations on how to speed up transition or why not attempting it would be appreciated.

I am a fairly new runner and it is by far my slowest discipline. The triathlon season is also over and I plan on participating in a few running events during winter/ fall season.

achilles & calf soreness & injuries are most common with this transition. You are trading one stress for another. Was the PF the reason for your switch?

Slow means slow. 2 years even. Not that you can't run, but if you grew up wearing shoes with any lift, and still spend your non-runnign time in shoes with any lift your transition will and must be slow.

When I transitioned, I did the opposite...I started living more of my daily life in zero drop shoes (or barefoot in the house as much as possible). After a year or so of that ... using zero dro pshoes for my everyday shoes, I began adding back in runnign again. I had achilles tightness for 1 -2 years even at that. nothing approaching an injury but the potential will be there unless you have lived your whole life without shoes.

Some folks feel comfortable in a few months but honestly your body has lived with a radically different shoe configuration for XX years (how old are you?) don't demand that it change quickly .

FWIW, the Trigger Point achillies roller/block is a GREAT combo for you
2014-10-01 6:36 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

To answer a few questions. I have only been running for 2 years. The first year I ran maybe half the year while the last year has been more regular. You can say that my whole running life was defined by heavily padded 8mm drop shoes. You can however also say my running life is very short. The previous pair of shoes was Saucony pro guide with 8mm drop. I am nearing the 40 years old (sigh!). I also used to walk with heavily padded, high drop shoes but I realise lately that those also hurt while the flatter ones don't. Nobody asked but I am a tad heavy, 205 pounds for 5 foot 8. I like and I do improve but so far I am amongst the people receiving the largest amount of applause and encouragements, meaning I am part of the slowests.

For the reason why I transition to minimalist, I tried it because my running and biking coach, who is also a kynesiologist, suggested I change shoes for more minimalists. I initially bought them thinking I would give it a try and revert back if it did not work. Under the supervision of a physio working for the shop where I bought my shoes, I tried multiple models including some in-betweens. I did feel that the more heavily padded shoes where stopping my foot on the ground impacting the ankle, knee, etc. So I ended up choosing shoes nearer to the minimalist spectrum. Since then, my foot pain which lasted multiple months has almost disappeared within a month of minimalist, So, having almost no pain before,after and during races lends me to believe I am better off with minimalists.

finally, I have been working on the forefoot landing since the beginning of summer which coincide my joining a triathlon club . Before that, I was doing heel strike which is probably the reason I got hurt in the first place.
2014-10-01 6:42 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

About the gravel, the current shoes have 8mm soles which is not that bad. I did run on gravel. It was surprising but not really painful. I still am very careful as I am in the learning process and don't want to do costly mistakes.

2014-10-01 7:00 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

I keep reading to bring the old shoes and run part of the run or some days with them. Does that make any sense if the old shoes tend to amplify the pain?

Reading AdventureBear's post a second time, I must say that I started walking in shoes with lesser drop since a while already and also walk barefoot while at home. I'll make sure to continue to help with the transition.
2014-10-01 10:29 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by Antoine tri

I keep reading to bring the old shoes and run part of the run or some days with them. Does that make any sense if the old shoes tend to amplify the pain?

Reading AdventureBear's post a second time, I must say that I started walking in shoes with lesser drop since a while already and also walk barefoot while at home. I'll make sure to continue to help with the transition.

If the new shoes cuase less pain than the old shoes, then don't worry about it. But it is a change and will take time. Even if your "running" career is only 2 years old, you've been a biped your whole life.

Sounds like you are on a good path.
2014-10-02 9:18 AM

User image

The coaches and more experienced runners will give you a better detailed explanation of how and why to be careful. I will add just be careful because you asked about running sore. My experience with zero drops was great until I got hurt. I tried to run through tight calves and tore a tendon in my calf. Then came back and tried to fight through more pain which turned into or turned out was achillies tendinitis. Not saying it was strictly from switching to zero drops but your thread title made me nervous for you.
2014-10-02 10:04 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

Thank you, I will go slow. I will also not run with calf soreness neither since the most frequent injuries are apparently related to the calf and it's tendons. So better to be fresh when I run to be able to figure out unusual pains and risk of injuries.

I am very grateful for people who posted a few of the symptoms I can get. Reading about peritonitis tendinitis, Achilles' and the common calf soreness allows me to be more informed.

If there are other things to watch for, I would gladly hear about it as well...

Thank you all!
2014-10-03 3:27 AM

Regular
West Texas
It took me a year to fully transition to zero drop shoes. I had no issues. My advice is to not get in a hurry and go back to the old shoes or something in between if you have any pain. When I really started listening to my body I stopped having issues.

2014-10-03 8:22 PM

Originally posted by AdventureBear
Originally posted by Antoine tri I am currently switching to minimalists. (Merrell Bare Acces: 0 drop, 8mm padding, very light) One thing I noticed since I switched is the pain I had in my foot is almost completely gone. (looked like plantar fasciitis + maybe a little Lenoir spur) I just feel much better running in those shoes. With the pain gone, the confidence is building back up and so is my capacity at pushing a little harder/faster. However, I get sore much faster in the calf. Add to that stair training (I run with a group)... So, with all those articles around telling us how the transition must be slow, how the risk are high and so forth, I must ask. What kind of injuries do people get when transitioning to minimalist? Should I abstain from running as soon as I am sore, take more rest days? I suspect a lot of posters will tell me to go super slow/easy. If so, any suggestion/explanations on how to speed up transition or why not attempting it would be appreciated. I am a fairly new runner and it is by far my slowest discipline. The triathlon season is also over and I plan on participating in a few running events during winter/ fall season.
achilles & calf soreness & injuries are most common with this transition. You are trading one stress for another. Was the PF the reason for your switch? Slow means slow. 2 years even. Not that you can't run, but if you grew up wearing shoes with any lift, and still spend your non-runnign time in shoes with any lift your transition will and must be slow. When I transitioned, I did the opposite...I started living more of my daily life in zero drop shoes (or barefoot in the house as much as possible). After a year or so of that ... using zero dro pshoes for my everyday shoes, I began adding back in runnign again. I had achilles tightness for 1 -2 years even at that. nothing approaching an injury but the potential will be there unless you have lived your whole life without shoes. Some folks feel comfortable in a few months but honestly your body has lived with a radically different shoe configuration for XX years (how old are you?) don't demand that it change quickly . FWIW, the Trigger Point achillies roller/block is a GREAT combo for you

I will echo what AdventureBear has commented on. 

I went minimal several years ago, but went straight from a hugely supportive shoe to something like a Nike Free (note, do not do this, the Frees are a gym shoe not a running shoe for high milage). While it felt good, my feet were not muscularly ready yet. Sore calves, sore feet, and a stress fracture after a couple of weeks (which leads to delay in training). Your feet have basically been in a 'cast' for however many years in supported and lifted shoes (if you don't normally walk/trot around the house barefoot), and if you were to transition drastically to minimal support you are whacking your somewhat frail feet against concrete and blacktop (read: Ouch, unless you are lucky enough to live near soft paths).  Basically what others are saying too- go easy, wear around the house/during the day and gradually use for training and harder running depending how you adapt. I've tried the Merrells, but now wear Skora Core, little pricey but love them). Good to read you are transitioning to minimal, you'll be stronger for it! 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should I run sore when transitionning to minimalist? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Running: How sore is TOO sore?

Started by mcstrangelove
Views: 2433 Posts: 21

2010-10-09 6:43 AM newbz

Sockless, Minimalist Running Shoe Recommendations

Started by Motivated
Views: 5718 Posts: 24

2010-07-04 7:56 AM TracyV

Starting over with running/minimalist shoes

Started by TritoTeach
Views: 2083 Posts: 17

2009-12-22 11:01 AM Gritty

Which minimalist/forefoot running shoes?

Started by Cubby
Views: 15502 Posts: 21

2009-10-08 4:37 PM saling4

minimalist running Pages: 1 2

Started by goobergirl98
Views: 2991 Posts: 29

2009-10-06 1:35 PM thatsmybike
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 5, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
So, since my beloved go-to shoe brand has changed its shoe, after reading the bruhaha about the minimalist shoe, I decided to give it a try. Now I have a foot issue with my arch area.

date : May 2, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you
date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.

date : November 2, 2011
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries
date : October 4, 2011
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running

date : November 12, 2008
I have a sore muscle or nerve on the front of my right leg, from above my knee to waist area, with most of the pain in the middle of my leg. After a run or long walk it starts getting sore.
date : September 3, 2006
Near the end of one of my long runs, I noticed my left hip aching. There was a slight pop with each step. The hip was sore for 2 days after the run.

date : October 2, 2005
author : acbadger
I recognize that my 45 minute jog Wednesday night does not really count as a ”long” run, but for me it was! Yesterday I felt fine…but man, today the legs are SORE.