General Discussion Triathlon Talk » thoughts on gait analysis Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-02 7:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: thoughts on gait analysis
I have been running consistently for 4 years. Volume varied at different times, as the last 2 years were devoted to IM training. It seems that when I hit 30 mpw, I run into issues - like shin splints, this pain above my left ankle (only comes back at this volume), etc. I know I supinate by the wear pattern on my running shoes. I'm coming back from a cycling accident at the moment so really just frequent, short runs for the next month, but I'd really like to do a barryp style run focus Nov-Jan and put in some serious miles. The Cleveland Clinic offers gait analysis at their sports medicine institute.

Would gait analysis be useful for someone like me? General thoughts on if this is helpful for a runner? Or complete waste of time and money?

2014-10-02 1:28 PM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Subject: RE: thoughts on gait analysis
For most people, the information from a gait analysis isn't really actionable. IF they are diagnosed with a funky step and IF they think that changing that would be better for them, they rarely permanently transform their stride and end up regressing back to their original ways. In the mean time, they'll most likely end up with other weird injuries as they are forcing their legs to move in different ways.

I'd say it is a waste of money. The Barry P plan is probably a safer way for you to stack on miles since it does have a lot of slow days which just might work for you.

I've had some weird lingering splints and I've thought about doing as much riding (so little running) as I can until winter hits. My thinking is that those splints may heal up so that once the weather is bad, I can start ramping up a similar high run volume winter. (But, then I signed up for an early November HM, oh well!)
2014-10-02 6:21 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Los Angeles, California
pardon my ignorance, totally new to running but how is gait different from technique and why is it a waste of money?
2014-10-02 6:27 PM
in reply to: woosh

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
gait and technique...pretty much the same thing. Perhaps gait has a more narrow definition of only being the way you move your body, where technique includes pacing modulation.

Its probably a waste of money for the reasons I mentioned before.
2014-10-02 9:43 PM
in reply to: jarvy01

Sorry to hear about your bike accident. Heal up!

Going with that really allow yourself to recover before adding more stress to your body with running. A good short interview reiterating this is form-coach Bobby McGee I believe you are already doing that, but just echoing what you are thinking. Basically, like the professionals who go from race to race rather than injury to injury. I've had to check myself on this as well. 

Gait analysis may be helpful if you are really looking to change things up. Although, keep in mind they may only be able to tell you what is wrong with your gait rather than WHY it is imbalanced/causing issues and HOW to fix them (w/o buying piles of products). 

In my opinion and what I'm doing now is get your form checked and spend the next several months easing back into running that way you have a solid core from solid form for solid longer and harder runs! 

2014-10-02 11:42 PM
in reply to: TreadandButter

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by TreadandButter

Going with that really allow yourself to recover before adding more stress to your body with running. A good short interview reiterating this is form-coach Bobby McGee I believe you are already doing that, but just echoing what you are thinking. Basically, like the professionals who go from race to race rather than injury to injury. I've had to check myself on this as well. 

Gait analysis may be helpful if you are really looking to change things up. Although, keep in mind they may only be able to tell you what is wrong with your gait rather than WHY it is imbalanced/causing issues and HOW to fix them (w/o buying piles of products). 

In my opinion and what I'm doing now is get your form checked and spend the next several months easing back into running that way you have a solid core from solid form for solid longer and harder runs! 

Bobby McGee is among the best in the world at run coaching...both technique and fitness. His approach is comprehensive...range of motion may also be a limiter. A gait analysis can look at factors that contribute to speed as well as impact/injury potential. The question is how qualified/ experienced is the person doing the analysis? What kind of results have their subjects had?

Listen and read anything you can from great run coaches like Bobby McGee, Jay Johnson, etc on form. There are others too.

2014-10-02 11:48 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Pro

Originally posted by AdventureBear

Bobby McGee is among the best in the world at run coaching...both technique and fitness. His approach is comprehensive...range of motion may also be a limiter. A gait analysis can look at factors that contribute to speed as well as impact/injury potential. The question is how qualified/ experienced is the person doing the analysis? What kind of results have their subjects had? Listen and read anything you can from great run coaches like Bobby McGee, Jay Johnson, etc on form. There are others too.

Bingo!

Jr. got three sessions with Bobby McGee last weekend.  Pure gold.

2014-10-02 11:51 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by Left Brain

Lucky Kid! As if he's not fast enough already.
2014-10-03 1:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada

treadandbutter

you gonna link to that SAME website on EVERY post that you make here ??????? You getting paid to send traffic there??????
2014-10-03 5:00 AM
in reply to: 0

Edited by TreadandButter 2014-10-03 5:02 AM
2014-10-03 5:04 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by AdventureBear

Bobby McGee is among the best in the world at run coaching...both technique and fitness. His approach is comprehensive...range of motion may also be a limiter. A gait analysis can look at factors that contribute to speed as well as impact/injury potential. The question is how qualified/ experienced is the person doing the analysis? What kind of results have their subjects had? Listen and read anything you can from great run coaches like Bobby McGee, Jay Johnson, etc on form. There are others too.

Bingo!

No way, awesome!

Go with the flow! 

2014-10-03 5:20 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I don't see how it could do you any harm.  The gait analysis clinics are popping up all over the country.  There is a good one in san Francisco and one in Boston as well.  At medical clinics like CC the typical model is that you are evaluated by a team consisting of physical therapists add sports med docs.  Based on you gait and injury history they will make recommendations regarding strength etc to correct form errors and address anything that may be producing injuries and to prevent injuries.  There have been a couple articles in runners world about them over the last couple years.  Bobby McGee is certainly a world class running coach as well.  I think he is based in Colorado. 

2014-10-03 8:07 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by triosaurus

treadandbutter

you gonna link to that SAME website on EVERY post that you make here ??????? You getting paid to send traffic there??????

The man recognizes good interviews!

Would you criticize someone that links to DC Rainmaker for various products every time?

(Note: I am biased...I interviewed both of the people he has linked to recently). My goal is to simply perform an educational enlightening interview regardless of who is on the show. If you'd like to listen to the content without the ads on the page, go to itunes adn download the entire thing. The guy who runs the Triathlon Research website takes the podcast interviews I do, and breaks them up into nice 5-10 minute topical segments. We hope people use them as treadandbutter does...to point people to specific, relevant information.

Edited by AdventureBear 2014-10-03 8:07 AM
2014-10-03 7:58 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

It's good material. I'm applying and learning from it.  If you have cool content that will help people, I'll link to your page too  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » thoughts on gait analysis Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Gait analysis

Started by StriderArrows
Views: 1210 Posts: 7

2011-10-05 9:38 PM COSkiGirl

Gait Analysis - Is it worth it?

Started by mdliu32
Views: 1519 Posts: 5

2009-09-17 7:40 PM mdliu32

How accurate is a gait analysis?

Started by nscrbug
Views: 1898 Posts: 16

2009-09-13 5:56 PM bruehoyt

Running Gait Analysis After Biking

Started by Bill
Views: 1086 Posts: 7

2008-11-28 8:40 PM JorgeM

Gait analysis report

Started by cobannero
Views: 644 Posts: 4

2006-05-15 9:52 PM mikericci
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 23, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Should I try to shorten my stride to prevent knee pain? Do you have suggestions for making the change stick? It's so hard to remember and be consistent!

date : April 26, 2010
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on swimming with no pool, IM long bike and run scheduling, the importance of base, finding motivation, Zoot shoes and running gait analysis.
date : March 4, 2009
author : jasongootman
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 2
When we do or don’t use the treadmill is not so much the issue as to how we use it. When is it appropriate to use a treadmill for your workouts?
date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?