General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Triathlon Freestyle Swimming Training Videos Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-02 8:50 AM

User image

Calgary, Alberta
Subject: Best Triathlon Freestyle Swimming Training Videos
Hey!

I'm a novice to maybe even intermediate level swimmer. I'm looking for the best triathlon freestyle self coaching videos out there. When I google search, "total immersion" seems to be popular. Would their videos be the best choice?

I'm looking at the self help option because I decided to join a masters swim and it's really not working out. I can keep up with the workouts but basically the only direction given is what he writes on the board for the day. During rest periods I try to ask questions about technique correction and he isn't helpful at all. Responses like "ya breathing on both sides is just harder to do". Needless to say I'm frustrated. I didn't join a masters swim to continue muscling through the water.

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

2014-10-02 9:01 AM
in reply to: jperchard

Subject: RE: Best Triathlon Freestyle Swimming Training Videos
If this is like other forums then it's likely there will be a big argument about whether TI is good or not. Personally, even from a swimming background, I have made great gains using the Swim Smooth site. It's not really a style that you adopt as such as it tries to recognise swim types based on your background an habits and then works to improve.

They have loads of great free info on their site www.swimsmooth.com and I'd say it is well worth checking out.
2014-10-02 10:06 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

There are a variety of methods out there, but it you look below the surface (pun intended), there's a lot of commonality in the fundamentals.  Things like reducing drag, head alignment, generating power from the core, early catch, etc.

I was a competitve swimming in my youth, focusing in sprint races where I could muscle my way through it.  My challenge in triathlon has been learning how to transform myself into a more efficient long distance swimmer.

I wasn't sold on TI at first, but have become more of the fan of it over the last few years. (I'm on my third copy of the TI book - I loaned my first two copies to other triathletes and never got them back.  I figure that's an endorsement of sorts.)  

But I've also picked up things from Swimsmooth, Sheila Taormina, Gary Hall, Dr. G, and others.  There's lots of videos out there on YouTube.  My suggestion would be to watch a few and see if any particular teaching methodology resonates with you.

I did a TI program led by Coach Suzanne Atkinson (aka AdventureBear here on BT) this summer and it was very helpful, most through helping me with my mental focus. 

Sorry you had a bad experience with your masters group, unfortunately that's a common complaint.  Objective input is always helpful. I've been lucky to have some friends who are accomplished swimmers who I can ask for occasional feedback on my stroke.

Good luck

2014-10-02 10:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
I was a swimmer in high school many moons ago and the swimming community focused on a very different stroke than that which is focused on now (or at least my coach did). So although I was a strong swimmer, I have seen a lot of gains by adjusting my stroke to more of the new school approach. i.e. The way I was taught was to always focus on grabbing "new" water. So we'd have these over-exaggerated outside to inside arcs and most of the focus was on the first half of the stroke, and the end was forgotten. Anyway, by changing this, I have seen easy gains.

Now, more to your question is the "how". The number one most helpful thing for me was to film myself while swimming at different angles then compare that to youtube videos. I then made adjustments, then taped again and compared again. What you think you are doing, as far as stroke, and what you are actually doing are two TOTALLY different things, just due to your physical perspective. So having the video really helped me.

You don't have to have a $400 GoPro either. I have a $40 action camera I bought from Walmart and it works just fine (I call it a GoPo). Came with a suction cup attachment that I can stick to either the pool floor or the wall. It works great. I moved the camera between each set and I had a really good group of videos to see what I was doing right and wrong. Here is an example of what I had. One thing you'll notice is that my left arm is crossing the middle line of my body in this video. I have since remedied that, but would have had no idea if it were not for this camera.

http://youtu.be/yubBFeI1WyU

You can watch all the videos you want, but without seeing yourself swimming from all angles, I can't see how you can make improvements. If you don't have a coach that does, then this is the next best thing.

Edited by 3mar 2014-10-02 10:27 AM
2014-10-02 11:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
I have been helped by 2 books: Swim Speed Secrets and Swim Smooth. Lots of youtube stuff on these as well.
2014-10-02 11:57 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Lots of good videos available on Gary Hall's web site linked below:

http://www.theraceclub.com/category/videos/

2014-10-02 11:45 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I think TI is pretty helpful.

Self - coaching from ANY source is always difficult though. Sounds like you don't have a lot of support. The most recent TI DVD is the 10 Lesson Series, plus Terry has some new ebooks that are more up to date than the "Yellow & Blue" TI book.

I've ready all the other books mentioned here too and many more as well...but see my sig for my bias.
2014-10-04 1:29 AM
in reply to: g_shotts

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Originally posted by g_shotts

Lots of good videos available on Gary Hall's web site linked below:

http://www.theraceclub.com/category/videos/

Gary SR is a great resource.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Triathlon Freestyle Swimming Training Videos Rss Feed