General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New Guy Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-02 9:24 PM

Austin, Texas
Subject: New Guy
Hey everyone! Glad to have found this site and seems like there will be a lot of great support here! I'm not new to forums, but new here so figured this was the appropriate place to make a first post

My name is Travis and I'm in Austin, TX (which, from lurking a little bit, seems to have some solid representation here).
I've never done a triathlon before, but am excited to do my first one!

A bit about myself, I'm a law student at UT (hence my username) and coming from a background of working a lot while being in school I needed a new hobby. I have a friend who is a triathlete who convinced me to consider it, and now here I am about 2 months after starting considering it and have finally decided on pursuing a race next year.

Currently I'm working on cycling and running. I'm not much of a swimmer, but as it gets cold I'm not so sure about tackling that currently, although I may revisit that idea now that I know I have pool access on campus to indoor pools during the winter. I'm currently running at a 5K distance, and have previously done 10Ks so working to get back to that. I bike primarily on weekends and am currently riding 40-50 miles per session.

Other than this adventure and law school, I also like to jump out of airplanes for fun so it is interesting to have a hobby that keeps me so close to the ground!

Hope to be around the boards a bit and get some great advice!

Best,
Lawhorn

2014-10-02 9:34 PM
in reply to: #5056373

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: New Guy
Welcome. Sounds like you have a solid plan. However, you need to start swimming as much as possible.
2014-10-02 9:35 PM
in reply to: 0

Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: New Guy
That's the plan. I'm slightly hesitant, just because I don't want to do too much all at once and overload myself. My plan, and this may be quite misguided, is to finish getting more used to biking and running this month and start swimming come Nov. 1 so as to prevent possible burnout as I'm starting off. If this is wrong or misguided, please let me know as I don't want to approach this incorrectly.

Edited by Lawhorn 2014-10-02 9:36 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New Guy Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New guy

Started by tboepple
Views: 1031 Posts: 5

2004-01-12 7:45 AM malvey

New guy here....

Started by RunTexas
Views: 1205 Posts: 7

2004-01-02 10:00 PM Michael

Just another new guy

Started by Tribble
Views: 1129 Posts: 4

2003-12-20 9:03 AM Michael

The New Guy

Started by jcovington
Views: 1142 Posts: 2

2003-09-30 1:57 PM Ron

New Guy

Started by mgpman
Views: 2077 Posts: 6

2021-05-27 8:20 AM Proyachts
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.