General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For the older ladies - Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-03 8:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Goodyear
Subject: For the older ladies -
Hello,

My name is Tracy and I have entered the stages of declining hormone changes. My symptoms just get worse and they are not fun. I finally broke down and went to Vitality Bioidentical Hormones for Women in Scottsdale. Had blood panel done. I decided to take the Testosterone pellet because I had no Testosterone and women need some Testosterone. Since I am not on the pill (Estrogen) they gave me Spironolact to take once a day for any signs of acne break outs. The medication is used off label for women/men who have over active serum that produces to much. The medication is a potassuim-sparing diuretic to help reduce swelling/fluid retention.

My question is if there is any triathletes out there taking this medication and doing hormone treatments?

My night sweats and hot flashes are gone!

Edited by Triacy 2014-10-03 8:25 PM

2014-10-04 9:16 AM
in reply to: Triacy

User image

Veteran
Goodyear
Subject: RE: For the older ladies -
Gezzz!!! Okay. Hot flashes and night sweat not gone!!!!
2014-10-04 1:17 PM
in reply to: 0

New user
Key West
I feel for you and have been post-menopausal since 1999. However, I had a complete hysterectomy at that time and took estrogen for about 8 years after. So, initially, I had none of the symptoms you are going through. But then I let a doctor talk me into stopping despite my concerns with going from havin osteopenia to osteoporosis and generally rapid aging concerns. Well, sure enough, after being off of any type of hormone and having no ovaries, within a few years I had osteoporosis, very low energy, terrible night sweats and my skin was aging rapidly. So, about a year and a half ago I went to a local women's clinic (was going to the VA before but they are, to say the least, not very progressive with womens' medical issues), that prescribes bio-identical hormones and was started on a regimen that includes a very low does of testosterone, estrogens, progresterone, etc., since I measured absolutely zero for any of those hormones.

My symptoms have all improved dramatically, including many less night sweats (although still a few if I drink alcohol), and overall more energy and slowing of the inevitable aging process. So, I am a firm believer. However, it takes a while to get the dosage right and I use the cream and not pills since it doesn't effect the liver, etc., as much. I also do a 24 hour urine test for my levels instead of a blood test, since it is more accurate. But anyway, if you have someone who knows what they are doing, it should be better in the long run.

BTW, I am 60

Edited by topolina 2014-10-04 1:18 PM
2014-10-04 1:54 PM
in reply to: topolina

User image

Veteran
Goodyear
Thank you so much for sharing. The Doctor does say it takes a week or two to feel better.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For the older ladies - Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bisters in the nether regions...ladies.

Started by tri-chic
Views: 912 Posts: 1

2009-09-01 7:06 PM tri-chic

Ladies Only..Can you help?

Started by Angel76
Views: 2014 Posts: 15

2008-07-09 8:17 AM jldicarlo

Ladies..Has this happened to you?

Started by Angel76
Views: 1247 Posts: 5

2008-04-22 9:06 PM Afletcher

Yeast infection??.....ladies only, unless you dare

Started by runner
Views: 1485 Posts: 16

2008-04-09 4:52 PM runner

Ladies, I need advice (Guys, you may want to stay out)

Started by runner
Views: 1187 Posts: 15

2006-08-09 8:02 PM runner
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 27, 2011
author : Trmlo
comments : 10
At 66 years old, I completed my first sprint triathlon!

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : October 2, 2005
author : writers2
comments : 20
My First Half Ironman Experience-A Slow, Fat, Old Triathlete. Here is my story of my first, and probably only Half Ironman. I’m an almost 52 year old, VERY Athena triathlete.

date : September 3, 2005
author : trad_it
comments : 0
Now, for the last 20 years I’ve always though that jogging seemed about as interesting as watching paint dry, and you know what? That’s how it turned out to be.
date : July 17, 2005
author : ChiRunning
Running does not cause injury. Poor running form does. Running is more enjoyable, and safer if you know what you’re doing. And yes, even old dogs can learn new tricks.

date : October 12, 2004
author : robinskj
A busy, fat lady gets hooked on Tri's. You can too!
date : September 19, 2004
author : malvey
The next time you see one of your kids or grandkids, look deep into their eyes and know that they would give anything to have you around for five, ten fifteen, or even twenty more years.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.