General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Trainer or Find a Way to Match? TrainerRoad. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-05 11:05 AM

User image

Delco, PA
Subject: New Trainer or Find a Way to Match? TrainerRoad.

I've just started using TrainerRoad and unfortunately, my trainer isn't compatible with the VirtualPower feature, so I'm doing the workouts based off of just heart rate.

My trainer, a Sunlite Forza F-1 (http://www.amazon.com/Forza-F-1-Trainer-with-Remote/dp/B000YO5RHI), is a magnetic one that you just turn the dial on to add resistance.  It doesn't go off of levels.

I contacted TrainerRoad (who had excellent, quick service by the way), and they tried contacting Sunlite for a power curve with no response.  What they suggested was to possibly try to match-up with another magnetic trainer that is similar and try to get the power curve close to the same.  I have no clue where to start, though.  Have any of you had any success with this?  

Is it even possible to match-up a similar trainer or will I just need a new one if I want the VirtualPower feature?

2014-10-05 11:12 AM
in reply to: C_Hassard

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: New Trainer or Find a Way to Match? TrainerRoad.

IMHO, check Craigslist for a used CycleOps Fluid 2 or Kurt Kinetic Road trainer.  Both have a very reliable speed/power curve. 

2014-10-05 12:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Delco, PA

Originally posted by Donto

IMHO, check Craigslist for a used CycleOps Fluid 2 or Kurt Kinetic Road trainer.  Both have a very reliable speed/power curve. 

There aren't any relatively close to my area.

I've found a few compatible trainers under $120 on eBay.  If I do need to buy one, I'm trying to stay under $150.

I'd also be able to sell the one I have now for around $70 easily.  Really just looking to stay under $100 in the end.  That is if I need to get a new trainer at all, though.

Edited by C_Hassard 2014-10-05 12:12 PM
2014-10-05 12:18 PM

User image

I think it's worth it to spend a bit more for a fluid trainer like the KK road machine. I bought mine used for $200.
2014-10-05 2:54 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Delco, PA

Originally posted by jennifer_runs I think it's worth it to spend a bit more for a fluid trainer like the KK road machine. I bought mine used for $200.

I'm a bit confused by the progressive resistance when the cadence increases.  I usually ride a high cadence, 95+ most of the time.  If I'm doing a set, for example, of 6 x 1 minute intervals holding 110 cadence w/ 30 second rest in between each one.  Is this possible on a fluid trainer?  How will I be able to ride a high cadence like that if the fluid increases the resistance when cadence goes up?

2014-10-05 3:06 PM

I am in the same boat with my trainer. While not ideal, I have decided to keep what I have and use the same resistance each time (and keep tire the same pressure) and use the gears to change the resistance. While I have no idea how accurate my power is, all I am worried about is if it is improving. By trying to keep everything the same I have a means to measure improvements. Eventually, when I can afford a better trainer or an actual power meter I will know where I am.

By the way, I can't recommend Trainerroad enough. Well worth the $10/month for the disciplined workouts.

2014-10-05 4:04 PM

User image

Originally posted by C_Hassard

Originally posted by jennifer_runs I think it's worth it to spend a bit more for a fluid trainer like the KK road machine. I bought mine used for $200.

I'm a bit confused by the progressive resistance when the cadence increases.  I usually ride a high cadence, 95+ most of the time.  If I'm doing a set, for example, of 6 x 1 minute intervals holding 110 cadence w/ 30 second rest in between each one.  Is this possible on a fluid trainer?  How will I be able to ride a high cadence like that if the fluid increases the resistance when cadence goes up?

I haven't had the chance to use it for this yet, but I had the same question for my friend (who has used one for IM training with trainer road)-- my understanding is you take care of this when shifting to low gear.
2014-10-05 4:24 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jennifer_runs

I haven't had the chance to use it for this yet, but I had the same question for my friend (who has used one for IM training with trainer road)-- my understanding is you take care of this when shifting to low gear.

The resistance goes up as rear wheel speed goes up, not necessarily cadence. You can increase speed by pedaling faster in a given gear or maintaining cadence and shift up a gear.

If you want to hold an exact cadence for a bit, then the power might not be quite as exact as you need, but usually when I do these sorts of things I don't really care as much about power being as perfect. I'll hold well past 110 rpm on the KK fluid trainer for some of these. I just shift down to a very low gear, usually the lowest one.

Edited by brigby1 2014-10-05 4:24 PM
2014-10-05 5:24 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

If your training by VP, you'll be after holding a wattage for x period of time, which translates to a given speed for the x period of time.  E.g. an interval targeting a min of 190w for 5 minutes would mean holding a min of 17.3 mph on the KK trainer for 5 min.  How you hold >= 17.3mph cadence wise depends on the gear you select, just like on the road.

X

2014-10-05 5:42 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

C Hassard, put a watch on this KK fluid trainer on eBay.  Its the old frame color (same resistance unit) and because of that it may not get any bid action. Comes with the front wheel riser and a sweat band for the top tube which is very nice to have!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kinetic-By-Kurt-Road-Machine-Indoor-Bike-Trainer-/321542717113?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4add707eb9

2014-10-05 5:54 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Delco, PA

Thanks for the explanations, brigby1 and Donto.  That explained it perfectly.

Originally posted by Donto

C Hassard, put a watch on this KK fluid trainer on eBay.  Its the old frame color (same resistance unit) and because of that it may not get any bid action. Comes with the front wheel riser and a sweat band for the top tube which is very nice to have!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kinetic-By-Kurt-Road-Machine-Indoor-Bike-Trainer-/321542717113?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4add707eb9

I definitely will keep an eye on it. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm also looking at the Travel Trac Comp Fluid from Performance Bike.  On sale for $140 down from $200, and I could pick it up in store. 

2014-10-06 9:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
I just got a Kurt Kinetic road machine (fluid) upgrade from my old Blackburn magnetic and it's sooooo much nicer and quieter. I just set up Trainer road this week and works like a charm. I went ahead and got the Kurt Kinetic InRide bluetooth power meter that attaches to the trainer and works seemlessly with KK app on and on TrainerRoad. Reading tons of reviews on the KK road machine, you can't go wrong.
2014-10-07 1:40 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

This brings up a point that I wish TrainerRoad would address, which is the need for better support for Heart Rate based training.

I love TR and use it on every workout, but because I train by HR exclusively, TR is really nothing more than a data collection service and an on-screen reminder of where I'm at in my workout - the fancy workout designs are effectively worthless because they are targeted to a power level that is moot.

It'd be great to see them leverage the existing model they have, but allow you to build and ride workouts based upon HR zones, then let the users self-define the hr ranges of their zones.  You can *kinda* kludge your way through that now... but, "kludge" is a pretty good word for the result.  Clearly, they are power-centric, which is a shame because it isn't the only way to skin a cat.

The funny thing about it is that they completely ignore the notion of training by heart rate while using your heart rate to chase after creating virtual power so that you can train with "power" data that you cannot take with you out on the road (unlike the HR data they're using).  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Trainer or Find a Way to Match? TrainerRoad. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Timex Run Trainer GPS watch wont find satellites

Started by Mattawilley
Views: 9158 Posts: 16

2014-08-12 1:21 PM ChemNerd23

Question on trainer for trainerroad

Started by clgswisher
Views: 2513 Posts: 10

2012-11-17 6:41 PM clgswisher

Best Way To Find Max HR On A Trainer And Treadmill

Started by ENP
Views: 704 Posts: 3

2009-11-14 7:15 AM gsmacleod

STR: Found my new trainer cadence music

Started by kagoscuba
Views: 1363 Posts: 12

2008-09-20 5:40 PM kagoscuba

Small new feature for finding new articles.

Started by Ron
Views: 865 Posts: 3

2004-11-15 2:29 PM infosteward
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 25, 2012
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
This article will discuss the differences between TrainerRoad and PowerTap's power numbers and how to best use each of them.

date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
comments : 0
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.
date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.