General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How are you liking your Hoka Clifton's? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-05 11:08 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: How are you liking your Hoka Clifton's?

Both myself and my wife are thinking of trying the Hoka Clifton's for a lightweight, max cushioned shoe.  For those using it how are you liking the Clifton's? 

Edited by Donto 2014-10-05 11:08 AM

2014-10-05 1:07 PM
in reply to: Donto

Subject: RE: How are you liking your Hoka Clifton's?
Loving mine, for comparison I also wear the Bondi 2 & 3. First off it felt odd and light. Also the rocker seemed a little more present in the cliftons than the bondi 3. Fit is awesome and breaking in nicely now that I know how much tension to lace up

I did 28 miles this am in them around Reno/Sparks and I feel like these are going to be my go to shoe. Just enough cushion but not to much and the ride is dialed in great, perfect for my stride and foot placement.

I think I have about 100 miles on mine so far.
2014-10-05 7:01 PM
in reply to: Susie F.

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Susie, thanks for the feedback.  Was the sizing true for you?

2014-10-05 7:50 PM

Probably my favorite shoes ever.

Nice and light, great on the roads. I do feel their "lightness" off road. Good for hard packed dirt trails and grass, however, I do feel rocks and roots when things get a bit more rough. I do realize they are not intended to be a trail shoe, but I do try to get off road when I can, and I like to take my shoes with me.

I'd say anything over 20 miles off road and I'd have to go with a different model. I've never worn the Hoka trail shoes, but I find the Bondi and the Stinson Tarmac (I think they changed these to the Stinson Lite) will hold up to just about anything I put them up against, even though they also are not trail shoes.

That said, the Cliftons still hold up pretty good, especially considered how lightweight they are. I wear a size 10, and they fit great.

I am running the NYC marathon in a month and will be wearing them. I'm also doing my first 50 mile ultra in 7 weeks and am ordering a pair of Huaka's to work in over the next few weeks and hopefully that will be my shoe for that.

My only criticism would be the price, but even that I am mostly ok with since I know I am spending on a quality product. I've put at least two pairs over 1k miles.

2014-10-06 12:04 AM

Yes and no on the sizing. I had issues with the Hoka Bondi 3. The sizing ran wonky on them. I though for sure they had went back to the unisex sizing when I got mine. As a note I am a 8.5 in my Brooks (Glycerin and Pure Flow). The Bondi 3 I ended up in the size 7 as they ran really long and very very wide.

In the Clifton I am perfect fitting 8. Which is consistent with other of the Hokas (Conquest and Tarmac).

I found these to run a little longer than my other running shoes which are almost all usually 8.5

-S
2014-10-06 7:54 AM
in reply to: Susie F.

I love mine, but I will agree with the previous poster that mine feel a little long. They are so light, and still have the great cushion which helps my feet feel good after long runs. I wear Men's size 12, and I wonder if I might have been able to go down 1/2 size. No regrets on the purchase though. I also have the Stinson Tarmac, which I feel like are more true to size.

2014-10-06 11:27 AM

User image

Elite

I LOVED them, was using bondis and the cliftons fit me better and are so much lighter. But I was having some toe pain since I jammed my toe and I found I needed the added cushion of the Bondis.  Now that my toe has finally healed, I"m going to try to go back to the Cliftons post my marathon (since I can't afford another pair right now!)

2014-10-06 1:39 PM
in reply to: turtlegirl

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I had been mildly curious about the Hoka's but couldn't get past the bulkiness of them until this summer while doing an ultra I saw many folks wearing the Cliftons.  I talked to a few and all I heard was how much they loved them.  I decided to get a pair but the local running shoe store had my size on back order until later in the Fall.  I am loyal to the shop so went with an Asics GEL 33 (I wanted a softer riding shoe) to get me through a few more months.

I did buy my wife a pair and she is still getting used to them.  I thought she would love them but she is still lukewarm on them.  Maybe when she gets a few more miles in them.

2014-10-07 1:24 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Denver, CO

Popsracer, I got my first pair of Hokas a few weeks ago.  They're Bondi 2s.  I have lots of back and hip issues and I love that with all the cushioning and stability, I can comfortably use them on pavement or dirt.  Even though the Bondis are bulkier, they're still lighter than the Nike Vomeros I was wearing before I got the Hokas. 

The LRS just happened to have a pair in my size, majorly discounted because they're discontinued.  I like them so much I bought another pair.  I've looked around online and can't find them anywhere so I got really lucky.  Haven't tried the other Hoka models but I think I'm a solid convert at this point.  Nothing else I've tried even comes close.

One thing I've heard though is that when they die, it's pretty sudden so it's good to have some back-up shoes already in the picture.

2014-10-07 11:14 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

I've been wearing Hoka's for a while, all Bondi 2's with one pair of Speed (I think) thrown in there to try them out. I stuck with the 2's and just recently switched to 3's and got a pair of Clifton's. Love them. The 3s are my everyday shoe and I am doing speedwork/tempo runs in the Clifton's. The Clifton's are definitely lighter and have slightly less cushioning but feel really good. I'm going to stick with the 3's and use Clifton's for speedwork and racing. I have a HM next weekend so we'll see how they fair. So far, so good.
2014-10-08 11:41 AM

User image

Franklin, TN

I just picked up a pair of Clifton's last night.  I wear a 10.5 in the Saucony Ride 6 and the 10.5 in the Clifton worked well.  Ran 3 miles in them when I got home...they do a great job of absorbing the harshness of impact...my feet felt great afterwards.  I think the real benefit of using these will be on runs of 50-60 minutes or more, but I can see these as being nice shorter distance shoes too.

2015-03-20 4:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

For those with men's Cliftons, how many miles do you have on them before they started to break down?

2015-03-20 4:47 PM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by GAUG3

For those with men's Cliftons, how many miles do you have on them before they started to break down?

Popsracer confirmed here (3-05 postthat 200 miles seems to the beginning of the end for them.  That's what I've read too.

2015-03-21 7:45 AM

Originally posted by GAUG3

I either wear down shoes less than average, or go further in them than I should. That said, I have about 500 miles on a pair and I think they are just about (but not quite!) done. I've gotten over 1k miles out of a pair of Hoka Stinson Tarmacs. So my guess is they last about half as long as the more "beefy" Hoka models.

I've run a marathon in them, and a 50 miler and my feet were great. Part of the 50 miler was on a rocky trail and it probably wasn't the best shoe choice for that, but overall they performed very well.
2015-03-22 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
I'm around 500 miles on my first pair - definitely lots is wear on the sole, but still feel fine to me. Ran a half marathon in them last week.

I've worn Kinvaras for years, but plan on making the cliftons my HIM and IM shoe for this season.
2015-03-23 6:58 PM
in reply to: ImSore

User image

New user
Kingston, Ontario
Just got mine in the mail today.. took them on a10km tryout.. very happy with them.. game changer I'm thinking

2015-03-23 7:11 PM

User image

Veteran
I've got about 60 miles on mine. Love them - not going back...
2015-03-24 11:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Orangevale, CA
I have two pairs that I alternate, the first pair has 274 miles on them and the second is up to 166 miles. I switched to them because my knees started giving me issues last year. So far, so good.
2015-08-05 4:44 PM
in reply to: croyston

Hey guys, I'm a little late to the party but I just whipped together a video review of the Hoka One One Cliftons. If you're still looking for info about the Cliftons you can take a look at the video, a lot of my impressions are VERY similar to how everyone else feels about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD-NxgupML0
2015-08-05 5:03 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I've been a Hoka user for a number of years.

Currently running in the Conquest. Good shoe, the new sole material seems to last longer than the Bondi soles.

Pretty sure the Clifton uses the same material.

Overall I like the Hoka's a lot, but it's not all glory for me. I do believe the cushioning puts extra strain on my quads and calves. However, on the "pro" side, I enjoy a fast recovery from long runs and no foot problems. I've done 3 IM's in Hoka's now.

Ps. I do use SuperFeet insoles as well, which help with the support
2015-08-05 9:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Green Bay, WI
Love my Cliftons, true to size. Light. No real break in needed. I'll order another pair soon. 200 miles on these so far. I order 4-5 different Hokas from Running warehouse. Free shipping and return shipping. Can't beat it.

Edited by Nussy 2015-08-05 9:49 PM

2015-08-06 1:40 PM
in reply to: Nussy

User image

Veteran
I"ve got about 75 miles on mine and I like them. However, the toe box definitely needs to be bigger; the bone right before my little toe sort of sticks out. They are probably the most cushioned shoes I've ever worn - they do feel like "pillows". Awesome for recovery runs.

That said there is a feel for the road that I like so my go-to shoe now are the Saucony ISO Zealots.....gawd, I love this shoe.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How are you liking your Hoka Clifton's? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

I'm loving me some Hoka One One's Pages: 1 2

Started by EKH
Views: 7017 Posts: 44

2014-03-31 8:16 AM Meathead

Cheaper alternative to Hoka Bondi B?

Started by WayneMott
Views: 6276 Posts: 18

2013-05-14 12:16 PM Donskiman

Hoka Bondi B

Started by jdotten
Views: 4846 Posts: 20

2013-03-22 8:16 PM BigDH

Anyone familiar with HOKA One One shoes

Started by dsand97
Views: 3575 Posts: 8

2012-12-13 9:48 AM BigDH

Hoka Bondi B shoe

Started by rsmoylan
Views: 812 Posts: 1

2012-05-31 11:24 AM rsmoylan
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.