Other Resources Challenge Me! » October PEACH Challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2014-10-06 3:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: October PEACH Challenge
Many of us are starting our off season while others are going strong. We need to keep up our motivation. Okay, I need to keep up my motivation.
Do something, anything everyday. Activity must be for at least 15 minutes. Log your daily workout for a peachy month.

Who's with me?

2014-10-08 10:32 AM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: October PEACH Challenge

I'm in again. I already missed a couple of days already because I really really needed them after vacation (and crashing on my commute to work - my elbow still hurts) but i think i am good to go the rest of the month.

It should work out well. My week, I am hoping will look like this:

M: swim with swim club

T: interval run (10k training plan)

w: swim with swim club

T: Tempo run (per plan)

F: lunch time yoga at studio across the street

S: TBD - ideally trainer time 

S: Long run per the plan

And bike commuting to work as the weather allows. 

2014-10-08 12:33 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Originally posted by juniperjen

I'm in again. I already missed a couple of days already because I really really needed them after vacation (and crashing on my commute to work - my elbow still hurts) but i think i am good to go the rest of the month.

Looks good. Is your yoga day your "rest day"?
2014-10-08 11:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
You've been with me, now I'll be with you from this point forward
2014-10-09 10:03 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by Lovey

Looks good. Is your yoga day your "rest day"?

Yes, like saturday, maybe my unstructured day - but i do think i need yoga since I am doing more intense running for a while. Gotta do something to keep injuries at bay

2014-10-09 10:04 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

So, how's it going? Keeping it peachy?

Rode to work this morning so i have my minimum to peach - but planning a tempo run later tonight.  Motivation to get out is getting harder as the temperatures drop and the darkness sets in earlier and earlier. 

2014-10-09 12:05 PM

User image

I've missed a few days... but I'd like to join in for the rest of the month!

I've been making excuses not to do this. The primary excuse being that I usually set aside my training on the weekends for family, BUT if I get up an hour earlier I think I can make it work. The shorter days and darkness might be a challenge. Has anyone ever ran with a headlamp?

Today my legs were sore, so I ran on some nearby grass fields. It felt great!
2014-10-09 12:22 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

You've been with me, now I'll be with you from this point forward

always great to have you coach.
2014-10-09 12:29 PM
in reply to: cassowary

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Originally posted by cassowary

I've missed a few days... but I'd like to join in for the rest of the month!

I've been making excuses not to do this. The primary excuse being that I usually set aside my training on the weekends for family, BUT if I get up an hour earlier I think I can make it work. The shorter days and darkness might be a challenge. Has anyone ever ran with a headlamp?

Today my legs were sore, so I ran on some nearby grass fields. It felt great!

Great to have you.

Tuesday and Wednesday, I putting the minimum due work schedule and kids.
I agree the shorter days and darkness does make it a challenge. Don't forget about the cold.

I use two different lamps, both can be found at a running store or a Walmart.

The first is what I call a cap light. It clips onto the front end of a baseball cap. The light can be tilted down towards the ground, turn red or flashing.
I wear these on the days where it's not cold enough for a winter hat.

The second is a coal miner's headlamp. It straps around your head like a head band. The light can be low or high, some flashes and also tilt up or down. I wear this with a winter running hat. It can be worn with a cap but I find the bill of the cap blocks a lot of the light.

they are comfortable to wear and you might even forget you have it on.
2014-10-10 7:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

I did a swim workout followed by pull-ups earlier in the week, and today my left shoulder blade and neck are in great pain. Luckily I have a standing desk, because sitting is a bit uncomfortable this morning. I 'll need to replace my next couple of workouts with some long walks.

My gym offers two 530 AM spin classes per week. I've never gotten up so early to workout before, but I'm going to give it a try next week. Seems like a good alternative to running in the dark.

Edited by cassowary 2014-10-10 7:49 AM
2014-10-10 8:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I did a swim workout followed by pull-ups earlier in the week, and today my left shoulder blade and neck are in great pain. Luckily I have a standing desk, because sitting is a bit uncomfortable this morning. I 'll need to replace my next couple of workouts with some long walks.

My gym offers two 530 AM spin classes per week. I've never gotten up so early to workout before, but I'm going to give it a try next week. Seems like a good alternative to running in the dark.

And a heck of a cardio workout.

2014-10-13 7:40 AM

User image

Made it to the 530 AM spin class! I might become a big fan of the early morning workouts. Let's see how the rest of my day goes...

Over the weekend I included my little girls in the workouts. I walked with Molly (1 year old) on my shoulders one day, and jogged with Nora (5 year old) in the stroller the next day.
2014-10-13 10:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well between work, prep for daughter's party, and hunting trip, I think it's gonna be November before I can truly make a peachy run with yall. I've not only done a bad job of getting in workouts but when I do, I forget / don't log them. I'm setting my sites on the 1st and hopefully I will get back on track then.
2014-10-13 10:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
So far this month is going well. Even a 15 minute walk or stretching makes me feel like I did something.

We have to do what we can when we can when life gets in the way.
2014-10-14 11:15 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by cassowary Made it to the 530 AM spin class! I might become a big fan of the early morning workouts. Let's see how the rest of my day goes... Over the weekend I included my little girls in the workouts. I walked with Molly (1 year old) on my shoulders one day, and jogged with Nora (5 year old) in the stroller the next day.

That is a sure-fire way to get them in! Great job!

I have a one year old (well, 16-months) at home as well and I counted her little intro to swim class as a workout this weekend. It normally wouldn't be but i do have to be in with her and help her - and it is so great to be active together! Plus, it is ridiculously cute. 

2014-10-14 11:16 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by Lovey So far this month is going well. Even a 15 minute walk or stretching makes me feel like I did something. We have to do what we can when we can when life gets in the way.

Exactly! 

I also have a fitbit which I am finding motivating. It's not exactly the best for really tracking workouts but making sure I get in 10,000 steps a day is pretty good! The days i run it's a piece of cake but super helpful for the days I don't really have anything planned. 

2014-10-14 1:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area

Originally posted by Lovey So far this month is going well. Even a 15 minute walk or stretching makes me feel like I did something. We have to do what we can when we can when life gets in the way.

Exactly! 

I also have a fitbit which I am finding motivating. It's not exactly the best for really tracking workouts but making sure I get in 10,000 steps a day is pretty good! The days i run it's a piece of cake but super helpful for the days I don't really have anything planned. 

I am thinking of getting a fitbit.
My job has a program where we get 50% off. It seems like it counts steps just by swinging your arm.
2014-10-14 5:14 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I've been a peach challenge lurker because every time I officially join I jinx myself and immediately miss a day or two for some obscure reason.  I did miss one day early in the month the day after a marathon but there's got to be some kind of free pass for that. 

You all have been doing a great job.  I've been enjoying reading your dedication.

2014-10-16 7:14 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

The 500 AM wake-up and workout routine is going really well for me and it's having a positive effect on my entire day. It feels like a switch was turned and I now feel more energized, more motivated, and more calm throughout the day - it's awesome. The biggest reward might be that I now have enough time to make a delicious breakfast every day instead of the usual bowl of cereal. My oldest daughter is also getting up a little earlier because she hears me making breakfast and we get to hang out and talk more as the day starts.

Popsracer - keep up the solid training routine!

2014-10-16 11:19 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by Lovey

Exactly! 

I am thinking of getting a fitbit. My job has a program where we get 50% off. It seems like it counts steps just by swinging your arm.

You do wear it on your arm so arm activity counts I guess - but there must be more - because you would think swimming  would register more then but for me it really falls down with swimming and biking. Like last night, i did a hard swim with my group but it doesn't pick up a swim as hard effort - the dashboard shows 'very active minutes' - now if you take a brisk walk that might show up there. 

anyway, i understand the limitations and i have a training log but it's good for the rest of the day and quite motivating to use the dashboard and make sure that I get whatever its definition of 10,000 steps a day is. 

2014-10-20 10:07 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Fell off the peach wagon a bit last week.  Feeling tired.  Not a good reason, I know.  But i have to own those days.  And to be fair, i do have a one-year old at home and her sleeping has been off so mine is as well.  And when I don't sleep well workouts (and work, eeps!) will suffer! 

Anyway, prioritizing my run/swim training this week over bike commutes so at least I have the energy for those.  

I have an aggressive goal for a 10k run at the beginning of December so i need to prioritize that! 

2014-10-20 10:20 AM

User image

I continued the early morning wake-up and work-up routine through the weekend. The spin classes are really great. My body is definitively adjusting to the increased work-out schedule, which is about double the amount of time I was doing previously. For instance, I usually run at about an 8:30 min/mi pace or faster, but my last four runs clocked in closer to 9:30 min/mi. I like this change of pace because I know it's the result of pushing my body harder then I have in a long time.

I didn't swim last week due to a shoulder injury, but I feel better now and I'm looking forward to returning to the pool and giving my legs a break. I've got a 5K at the end of the month. I'm curious to see how my training pace will adjust before the race. Since it will likely be my last race of the year, I would LOVE to set a PR.

How is everyone else doing?
2014-10-22 7:48 AM

User image

Got a swim in yesterday, which gave my legs a good rest. Today I felt like I had a lot more energy and ran at an 7.5 min/mi pace for a couple miles. Finished with a set of sprint intervals. Tomorrow will either be another swim or strength training.
2014-10-27 10:14 AM

User image

While it looks like all of our peaches have a few small holes, overall we're doing great. Especially during the darkest days of the year. Keep it up everyone.

This morning I had my 5:30 AM spin class. Tomorrow I plan to swim or strength train.
2014-10-27 1:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area

While it looks like all of our peaches have a few small holes, overall we're doing great. Especially during the darkest days of the year. Keep it up everyone.

This morning I had my 5:30 AM spin class. Tomorrow I plan to swim or strength train.

I would agree. I will skip my run to go to my son's game but I have swimming later tonight in the famous wetsuit pool (yes, it is that cold!)

The rest of the month looks like this:

Mon - PM swim
Tues - AM run
Wed - AM spin, PM bike (30 minutes)
Thurs - AM run
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » October PEACH Challenge Rss Feed  

of 1

RELATED POSTS

October Peach Challenge Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by juniperjen
Views: 8768 Posts: 118

2012-10-31 11:52 AM Pink Socks

OCTOBER Peach Challenge Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by AbbieR
Views: 8297 Posts: 87

2010-10-31 11:36 PM AbbieR

October Peach Challenge!! Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7

Started by AbbieR
Views: 8527 Posts: 155

2009-11-01 12:57 AM d2lock

January Peach Challenge Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by AbbieR
Views: 24082 Posts: 562

2009-02-01 10:38 AM LSU25

October Peach Challenge Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15

Started by AbbieR
Views: 19525 Posts: 363

2008-11-01 5:06 AM Shermbelle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 14, 2008
author : dr_forbush
comments : 0
In addition to writing your race number on each upper arm, they also wrote your age on your calf. This allowed me to see who was passing me by in the bike section of this race.

date : November 28, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Question and answers on swimming strength challenges, is kicking important, 'runners kick' with ankle inflexibility and the usefulness of fins, pool buoys and paddles.
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : January 7, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 4
We were all there once, a beginner. Time to take the challenge and help a beginner triathlete!

date : January 29, 2006
author : lv2teach
comments : 1
It’s a challenge to push yourself a little harder and a little further. Be proud of every workout that is accomplished and every step-even the baby ones-that you take on this course to the finishline.
date : November 27, 2005
author : AMSSM
Try to view your injury as another athletic challenge and an opportunity for personal learning and growth. Identify the skills that help you succeed as an athlete.

date : September 3, 2005
author : infosteward
The Boulder Peak bike course is legendary. It is, literally and named as such, one of the toughest bike legs in the country.