General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How much do you guys sleep? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-11-11 7:50 AM
in reply to: Martine1975

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: How much do you guys sleep?

in my 20s--no problem with 5 hours. I was training an hour a day, in college, also teaching riding lessons, and riding. Go go go go.  Now I'm a teacher, 40, still try to train an average of 1.5 hours a day I'd say for the year (off season 5-7 hours, in season about 10-15 hours), riding my horse twice a week, tutoring after school twice a week. Its tough.  I have to plan my races to be in the summer or close to end of the summer when I can, so the bulk of my training can be done then. I won't be doing IMCDA or IMTX any time soon, mainly b/c its just too hard to get in the hours in May.

2014-11-11 1:43 PM
in reply to: TriMike

Ardmore
Subject: RE: How much do you guys sleep?

I'm wondering the same thing.  I'm fit, and not even close to obese although my BMI is higher because of muscle mass.

I have some other medical stuff going on and one of the Dr.'s has requested my sleep study results as he openly questions how they arrived at sleep apnea.  He said something about whether it was organic ???  

I'm in next on the 12th and am quite interested to hear his review.

I have severe obstructive sleep apnea, wake up approximately 75 times an hour without my CPAP and my oxygen levels drop to 64%. Using the CPAP, I only have about 35 interruptions an hour and my oxygen levels are at 97%.

You don't need to be obese to have apnea. My father, who is just under 5'8 and not heavy in the least, thin neck build etc, is just as bad as mine.

I also had rapid leg movements that were interrupting my sleep as well. I was on medication for the leg movements but had issues with some of the side affects. I didn't notice any difference between the meds and not taking the meds. I opted to no longer take them.

To answer the OP: I typically get 7 hours of sleep and most of my workouts are after the kids are in bed. I get ready to head out by 8 pm and usually home by 9:30. In the warmer months, I'm up at 4:30 for my bike rides.

junr
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How much do you guys sleep? Rss Feed  

of 4