United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 57m 28s
Overall Rank = 69/158
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 14/25
Pre-race routine:

This race had been on my radar since 2008. I actually signed up in 2009, way back when you had to actually mail in the entry forms - I have a secret to divulge though, I had a friend whose sister lives there and knows the RD, so she dropped off our checks and entry forms at the RD's house to make sure our entries were first in the mail. Only she left them at the wrong house, so we didn't get in at first...... But he eventually relented and let us in.

Even after all that, life conspired against me that year, and I had to cancel all races for about a year. Finally, last October decided that this would be one of the series of my "enjoy the experience" season after last year's IM training slog. So, on Halloween night, I took a break from making S'mores over the fire at a friend's house and made it in, one of only 150 that gets to race it.

We usually try to combine races with some sort of vacation, so we decided to couple this with an east coast trip to DC (neither Wendy nor I had ever been, embarrassingly), then NYC for a couple days, then New Paltz for the race. While DC in August isn't normally the most comfortable place to be, it seemed especially uncomfortable Labor Day weekend, and we weren't amused by all the locals telling us what a great, cool summer they'd had..... right up to that weekend. Three days of 95 ish degree temps with 80% + humidity. Made for some wet morning runs along the mall. As someone who comes back from a run soaking wet in 60 degree weather, I was certain to be soaking. Only here, everyone else was as well.

Despite the heat, we used a hop on/hop off bus to see everything we wanted to see, and interrupting my last run there to ascend the steps of the US Supreme Court, where all those cases I pored over in law school (and not so many since, to be honest), were written. Surprisingly, though the heat was tough (I ran early in the a.m.), it didn't affect me as badly as I thought. I don't know how people run at mid-day though.

From DC we took the train to NYC, where we spent 3 days. Spending the week traipsing around hot and muggy DC and NY was probably not the best way to spend the week before a race with nearly 19 miles of trail running and 2 miles of swimming (following a 30 mile bike). But life goes on and gotta have some fun.

In NYC, more of the same but tried to reduce the walking as the race got closer. A visit to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, where my wife's mother entered the country in the '30s was a highlight. Stayed in a vrbo at 39th and 6th, close to public transport, times square, all the typical tourist trap stuff, but with a great view.

Unfortunately, spent Friday in NY dealing with a minor infection that sent me to an urgent care. I was a bit concerned about the course of antibiotics I was now given and racing, as well as the infection, as I wouldn't be 100% and it hurt to both stretch my arm out straight and bend it. I would have been gutted to miss SOS... again.

Saturday morning things seemed to be improving, but still not great. Train to Newark, picked up the rental and drove the two hour drive up to New Paltz. In looking at hotels I found basically two options: Super 8 at $100-ish or the Mohonk Mountain House at $650. Did a little more searching and found a cabin on a horse farm through VRBO, Mr. Ed's Cabin. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/360768

Very peaceful..... Unfortunately, we didn't get to spend a lot of time there. Arrived about 4, and the pre-race meeting was at 5:00 at SUNY New Paltz, about a :30 minute drive so we had to book. When we arrived, it was still 91 degrees and muggy. It was hard to believe that the next day would have a high of 78 or so. I sure hoped so.

The mandatory meeting did not really tell me anything I didn't know (I tend to obsess on these things and read all the reports I can, plus I know folks that have done it before). It seemed a tradition that everyone wore the various different era shirts from past SOS races, in the last 29 years. Sort of like a WTC IM meeting, questionable pasta and inspiration.

At the meeting, I learned that the Alex was something of a local celeb, past winner of the race, on the race committee, and all around god guy (I mean, who else loans a SRAM Red Allez to a complete stranger?? Only good people). I believed it was good karma. And the bike was no slouch either. Alex even included a flat kit (having not brought the bike, didn't even think of that and had purchased one in NYC). I just brought my race kit, pedals, shoes and helmet. A couple laps around the parking lot and a few saddle height adjustments avoiding the impending thunder storm and we were off for a pre-race sleep, lulled by a steady rain falling on the farm.

Up at 5:30 to get to the start at Ulster County Fairgrounds around 6, race start at 7. Weather was cool and perfect. They have a bike check where mechanics go over the basics... got brakes, got two wheels, got a helmet, looks good. I was glad to have a long sleeve shirt to stay warm, and arm warmers and socks for the bike. But the roads were dry, the air was cool, and the fog that can be typical was not present. Just a beautiful morning.

You could also see the race finish that would take nearly 51 miles to get to, the Skytop tower, off in the distance, a stone tower sitting atop the highest point of the Shawangunks. In fact, since the bike circled nearly the entire circumference of the skytop tower, you could almost see it constantly on your left while biking.

Ready to roll

Event warmup:

Format of the race is very nontraditional - 30 mile bike, 4.5 mile run, 1.1 mile swim, 5.5 mile run, .5 mile swim, 8 mile run, .5 mile swim, .7 mile "sprint" up the hill to skytop. You have to have a crew member meet you at the bike transition with your run and swim gear, and take your bike. After you get off the bike, you finish with everything you start with, running with cap and goggles, and swimming with your run shoes.

I had no idea about the course, and no expectations, other than a vague desire to go sub 6. I'd read reports, and heard stories, but you never know until you actually do it. Turns out I had driven almost all the course getting to the farm, as it was situated smack dab in the middle of the SOS circle, but didn't know it until the race when I recognized certain signs and roads as I rode past. But the runs, and the final 5 mile climb on the bike I had no clue.

Going in, I knew I couldn't use my usual Saucony running shoes as they'd get too heavy when wet, and were too big to stuff in my shorts or top for the swims. Someone recommended Zoot ultra TTs without socks, but I was wary of buying a brand new pair of shoes that might not work. So I found a "slightly used" pair of last year's model on ebay for $40, and those were what I had trained with. They turned out to be the perfect shoe for this race, and were the ones I used to race in, and actually used for the rest of the season, including a HIM. I had also done a few multiple run/swim training sessions and settled on just putting the shoes together and putting them between my legs like a pull buoy. Simple and easy.

Bike
30 Miles
1:46:06

The bike starts out on a quiet country road, with wave starts every minute or so. As such, it was hard not to treat it like a rolling start century out in the countryside. Had to remind myself, "you have a chip.... its a race...." The first few miles roll past farms and huge sunflowers, and it mostly flat. I had no idea who was ahead or behind. I could see a group off in the distance, and passed a few ones and twos, but I guess the really fast 45-49ers were already in their aero tucks speeding away.

I tried to get as aero as possible, forearms resting on the top bar, but it wasn't obviously a TT position. I just needed to stay as aero and as comfortable as possible, so I swapped between the top bars and the drops. Beautiful, rural bike ride to start the race. I don't really recall much in the way of challenges in the first 20 miles, just a nice rolling course. Got passed by a few fast 50-60 year olds, and a few of the faster females (who had started in the last waves) as well. I had nothing to gauge the ride by other than RPE- no power, no HR - and it was honesty kind of nice. Just enjoying the ride. Then again, I didn't know where I could have gone harder. You aren't going to win or lose SOS on the bike, but a TT bike would certainly have been a bit faster. But then again I would have kept my head down and would have missed the scenery.

Because there are only 150 or so racers, there were moments on the bike where I looked ahead, and behind, and saw no one. This would become increasingly common on the run. There were also more marshals, or at least folks on motorbikes, than the last few 70.3s Ive done (or even down in Pemberton at IM Canada where I saw exactly zero marshals). The marshal/racer quota had to be something like 1:20. I didn't see any blatant drafting, a couple questionable events but not bad. The penalty (I read) for drafting was stopping and putting both feet down before continuing (i didn't confirm it but someone told me after the race that actual "stopping" wasn't even required)

At mile 25, on cue, a fast 47 year old female passed me and said "time to start going up." Turned left for the 5 mile climb to the Lake Minnewaska parking lot, the first transition. More like three 1 - 1.5K climbs, broken by a few hundred meters of rollers or even downhills. And the climbs aren't especially steep- until you remember the 19 ish miles on the run to follow.

I'm smiling, not grimacing. I think

The issue here was that I ride a compact crank at home, and the Allez was a standard crank. So I was missing a few of my lower gears. I have no idea what cassette was on there. Add to that, the SRAM groupset is "double tap," meaning you use the same lever to up- and down-shift. An easy click makes it harder. A more substantial click makes it easier. So those times at home when I pressed the lever of my Shimano groupset just once, in that vain search for "just one more low gear? come on, just one more??" only put me into a harder gear instead. From which I had to then downshift.

Soon enough, came around a right hand bend and could hear shouting in the distance and rolled up to the dismount line.

Got off the bike and immediately saw Wendy waiving one of my bright orange Zoot shoes, to get my attention. How much I love that woman, just made me smile. She led me to the transition "spot," or the towel laid out on the ground, with my gear laid out very carefully. It was perfect.

Shed the cycling gear, put a little more vaseline on my toes and heels - was running sockless - grabbed my hat and bottle, put on the shoes, looked up and said "where do I go?"

Seriously, no maps or course recon, it was frankly unclear where to go. But at SOS there is always a volunteer to help with gear, food or just point the way. I heard there were something like 250 volunteers, for a race with 150 people. Met a family of three at the post race dinner that had volunteered 7 years in a row, as the 12 year old daughter said "it's become quite the family tradition." Best volunteer support I've seen at a race.

Run #1
Minnewaska lot to Awosting
4.5 miles
45:37

The first run starts with a gentle incline for about 2.5 miles, and it took that long to get my legs back. This section has a lot of racers and feels "crowded" - as in I probably saw 25-30 people on this run. The run followed a carriage trail up, then veered left into a gulley, and onto Cardiac Hill. I was running at the bottom, but noticed everyone ahead of me walking. It seemed reasonable, so I did as well. I told a woman "I sure hope this hill has a name, because if it doesn't I don't want to meet a named hill." It was steep. She confirmed it was Cardiac Hill. As if on cue, everyone that hit the top began running again.

There is one aid station on this run, near I believe the lake, but cannot recall the specific location other than a right hand bend.

The carriage road hits the near-side of Lake Awosting, where the swim exit is, and skirts the lake to the entrance on the far side. This section of trail was slightly technical, had some rocky sections, and a few mud puddles that racers appeared to be trying to avoid (ironically, as we'd soon jump into the water with our shoes on....) But hearing the splashing of the swimmer going in the opposite direction, knowing you'd soon be in nice cool water, was very cool.

Swim #1 - Awosting
1.1. miles
31:16

Coming around the far side of Awosting, we got to the first run/swim transition. Have to congratulate the RDs for having actual timing mats at every run/swim transition, seemingly way out in the middle of nowhere. Awosting is a "jump in" lake from a few rocks a foot or so above the water's edge. One of the volunteers said "you can transition here [on the trail] or down there [in the water]" I had decided in training to enter the water with my shoes, take them off, put them between my legs as a pull buoy, and at the exit repeat the process. All transition times appear on the swim splits.

I also was wearing a hat and carrying a small had bottle. Although some had advised against carrying anything extra, personally was glad to have the bottle to get a little water whenever I wanted - stashed in the rear pocket of my tri bibs on the swim - and the hat stashed down the front of my tri top while running up to the lake.

The swim was beautiful, and appeared to be a full 1.1 miles. Kayakers on the right kept us safe as we swam across the left shore. I tried to angle the little headlands as well as I could, as a lot of folks seemed to be further out in the middle. Starting a process I'd repeat all day, I passed a number of folks in the water and made up a lot of spots. Had to adjust the shoes once or twice. I figured out in training I could not squeeze very much, or my adductors would pay big time on the later runs

However, every time I brought my right elbow down on the water I felt a bit of pain, where the infection was located. No issues on the run though.

When the water was a little less than waist deep, I stopped, reached down for the shoes, put them on my feet, and as I came out of the water popped off the cap and goggles and pocketed them, and reached down and got my hat. The guy exiting next to me was exclaiming "ouch, ouch, ouch" with every step. Putting your shoes on in the water is a god choice.

Run #2
Awosting to Minnewaska
5.5 miles
55:25

After a quick drink at the swim exit, I took off on the next trail. This run is 2 or so miles up to a gorgeous lookout at Castle Rock, then downhill to the second swim. Not sure if the hill has a name, but the climb is a bit of a challenge. Going up, a woman slowly came up behind me running more or less my speed. "No shortage of uphills here, are there?" I asked. She said a lot of downhill was coming up. People running and riding mountain bikes the opposite way cheered her on, saying she was the third place female. She held that position for a little while, but not much longer, as some fast females soon came by.

There is an aid station at the Castle Rock lookout. Looking over the 'Gunks, there is a lake, way off in the distance. "Is that the lake we just swam across?" Yup, if you look closely you can see the kayaks. Seems so far away.

Sure enough, the rest of the run is a rolling downhill to Lake Minnewaska for the second swim. During this section a guy with "49" on his calf came running easily by. Wait a minute, didn't he pass me already? I passed hm on the swim, as I would on every swim, and he'd pass me back, as he would on every run. There were probably 5-6 people I played this leapfrog game with

All of a sudden I came to a "T" with a volunteer seemingly out in the middle of nowhere pointing me back uphill. Ugh. The race is marked by pink SOS signs with arrows that you can't really see until you are right on them.

A few short switchbacks in the forest of tree, through which you can see the lake down below, and arrived at the Minnewaska swim entrance, which is a wade in lake. Same drill as before.

The trail to Minnewaska

Swim #2 - Minnewaska
  • 5 miles
  • 17:36

This swim was just enough to rest the legs a bit, especially as I was not kicking at all (due to the shoe/pull buoy). There was a rope stretched across the lake supported by big red buoys, so there was nothing to do but swim. Didn't even have to think.

Minnewaska swim course, post race

Minnewaska from above

Minnewaska exit

The swim exit is the only place (other than the start, bike transition and finish) where folks can come see you, and it was great to see Wendy up on the rocks waiting for me. Came out of the water, downed nearly a full bottle of gatorade, grabbed a couple pretzels, kissed Wendy and headed out for 8 more miles of running.

Run #3
    Minnewaska to Lake Mohonk
    8 miles
    1:21:20

This run starts out with a little climb followed by a tough, a steep pavement downhill to the entrance of the Mohonk Preserve. In wet feet, after 10 miles of running already, the quads screamed out with every pounding step, and I tried to get down as gracefully as possible. At the bottom of the hill, near the gate, we turned right back onto carriage trails, and more downhill.

One of my leapfroggers came by and said "man, I never thought I'd wish for uphill...." As he ran ahead of me, he turned to the left and said "wow," I followed his gaze to the 65 foot Awosting Falls, which was running lightly but still beautiful.

The trail leveled out a bit, but we soon popped out onto the only buzzkill part of the course, where it parallels highway 44/55, on which a lot of the support crews were now driving to the finish, so it was pretty busy and loud. We had left the serenity of the forest, and although the trail veered away eventually you could hear it for quite a while.

Miles 4 and 5 of this run were my best. I was able to run 8:30 something and 8:40 something, which was good for me given I had 13 miles in my legs in uncushioned zoots and no socks on trails. But about the 4 mile mark, near Trapps Bridge, started to fade quite a bit. This section runs along an outcropping of the Shawangunks that is very popular with climbers, and it seemed to never end. There was a guy, far off in the distance, in a blue and white top. I had seen him before, and got a little closer, and then further, for the last couple runs, but could not catch him. But he never got too far away.

There were a lot of sections of this run where I saw absolutely no other racers. But I knew this run had the other hill steep enough to warrant a name, Godzilla. I had no idea where it was though, and as the miles counted down, I knew it had to be somewhere close. I got to the last aid station, near 6 miles in (there are 3 aid stations on this run, more or less at 2, 4 and 6), I said "where's godzilla," they said "turn the corner." Sure enough, a right hand turn, a look up, and I literally said "holy shit." Take the mile 4 Wildflower hill, tip it up a little more, and put it at mile 17 of a trail run. I was all alone on godzilla, but I pretty much knew that most everyone else was not running this thing. I walked the entire thing and didn't see another soul.

About a 1/4 mile up there's a sign that says "the steep part is over!" Although it continues up at a shallower grade, I "ran" the rest (well, shuffled). The thing I am most proud of from this race is that I ran the entire run other than Cardiac and Godzilla. This was partly driven from the fact that I had a running clock and had a shot at sub 6, but had to keep moving.

Another half mile or so, a little old lady in a folding chair sitting in the middle of the trail said, "you're nearly there, go that way," pointing into the woods. "Oh, and watch the roots!" Barely a trail there. Eventually a corner of Lake Mohonk comes into view. A sharp left, and a climb OVER a split rail fence and then DOWN a steep dirt path - "You can hold onto that branch there if you need to." Trying not to allow the legs to cramp. Slip into the water, off with the shoes.

Swim #3
    Lake Mohonk
  • 5 miles
  • 14:03

Lake Mohonk isn't really a full .5 miles, and I knew this from looking at prior results - everyone is several minutes faster here than at Minnewaska. I entered the water with about 5:37 or so, so knew I had some time, and that the swim wouldn't take that long. But then there was the last uphill "run."

This swim is marked by large buoys along the right shore, personally set by Alex.

From on high

It's a gorgeous glacier formed lake (well, they all are), with an amazing hotel on the far shore (the aforementioned $650 /night lodging). I breathe to the right, but made a point of breathing left a few times to try to get a view.

Followed the line of buoys, but still even just offshore wasn't really sure where to exit. I stopped and looked up and the volunteers just yelled "over here"! Ah.

Bit of an underwater ledge that I sat on to get the shoes on. A bit of a scramble up some rocks, then up to skytop....

Run #4
    Skytop
  • 7 miles
  • 6:08

I ran as well I could up this section. Ironically, I placed better on this leg overall (38) than any other leg. Just kept going up and up and up, but you can hear the crowd at the top.

I looked up and saw guy-in-white-and-blue-top walking a couple hundred yards ahead of me. I slowly gained on him, and it was clear he wasn't going to run. I came by him. He said "you got me. After all that... you got me." I don't know if he knew I had been stalking him, but it seemed appropriate and, yeah, I did get him. Never give up!! LOL

There's a bit of a fire bucket brigade when you get near the top.
    "What's your number?" (asked at all transitions by the way).
    "206"
    Yells up "206 coming!!'
    Another "206" from higher up.
    Someone looking at a sheet with numbers, and yelling through a megaphone to announce the finish. "206, Maurice Frankenbottom coming to the finish!!!"

Wait.. what? I called to the first volunteer, "that's not my name" (mind you I can barely breathe).
    "huh? what?"
    "That's not [umph] my name!"
    "That's not his name!"
    "What?"
    "that's not his name!".... and so on.

They finally got it right but the confusion made Wendy miss a photo of me coming toward the finish

Up the last few steps, several local kids start running with me to the finish chute, then send me on my way. Clock says 6:00, with the wave start offset I made it.

OA time 5:57:28
    69/153 OA
    14/25 AG

At the finish they gave out a medal, finishers.. I mean survivors.... shirt, a towel and a drawstring bag (and later, at the buffet, a handmade finishers plaque... I'd never gotten so much finishers stuff from one race!)

Trust me, the plaque is much nicer than my crappy iPhone camera gives it credit for

Award winner for worst post race photo ever. And kinda fugly purple color..... But I proudly wore it.

About midway through the Awosting swim I passed a guy with a go pro strapped to his chest. He passed me back about mile 4 of the Minnewaska-Mohonk run. It's a little jumpy and bouncy, and shouldn't be watched if you are drunk, but he posted it here. He catches me about 8:30 in at the aid station.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC7c8uXFo_A

Got a quick massage, changed, then headed slowly back downhill and hung out on rocking chairs overlooking the lake acting like rich folk until it was time to go to the legendary (and rightly so) post-race buffet.

At the buffet I worked mighty hard to put back in all the calories I'd lost during the race and, if I don't say so myself, I did a damn fine job of it. We stayed for the awards to take care of getting some equipment back to Alex (who was also, it turned out, the announcer for the awards). Listening to the stories, it was very clear what a close knit community this is, and what the race -- and the folks that have put it on for nearly 3 decades - means to everyone. It really seems to be one of the fabrics that holds this community together

Don Davis, the original RD, hand picked Jon Stern to take over RD duties and to continue the tradition. This is, by far, the best race I've done in 10 years of racing, and hope that they can keep holding it every year. Really is a race unlike any other.

Special thanks to my wife, sherpa, traveling partner, historian, photographer... Wendy, couldn't do it without her. And coach Shane MacLeod of Scotia Multipsports who got me here uninjured and ready to go, despite a crazy season
    Swim
    • 00m
    • 3700 yards
    • / 100 yards
    Transition 1
    • 00m
    Bike
    • 00m
    • 30 miles
    • 0.00 mile/hr
    Transition 2
    • 00m
    Run
    • 00m
    • 18.7 miles
    •  min/mile
    Post race

Last updated: 2013-11-07 12:00 AM
    Swimming
    00:00:00 | 3700 yards | / 100yards
    Age Group: 0/25
    Overall: 0/158
    Performance:
    Suit:
    Course:
    Start type: Plus:
    Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
    200M Perf. Remainder:
    Breathing: Drafting:
    Waves: Navigation:
    Rounding:
    T1
    Time: 00:00
    Performance:
    Cap removal: Helmet on/
    Suit off:
    Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
    Jump on bike:
    Getting up to speed:
    Biking
    00:00:00 | 30 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
    Performance:
    Wind:
    Course:
    Road:   Cadence:
    Turns: Cornering:
    Gear changes: Hills:
    Race pace: Drinks:
    T2
    Time: 00:00
    Overall:
    Riding w/ feet on shoes
    Jumping off bike
    Running with bike
    Racking bike
    Shoe and helmet removal
    Running
    00:00:00 | 18.7 miles |  min/mile
    Performance:
    Course:
    Keeping cool Drinking
    Post race
    Weight change: %
    Overall:
    Mental exertion [1-5]
    Physical exertion [1-5]
    Good race?
    Evaluation
    Course challenge
    Organized?
    Events on-time?
    Lots of volunteers?
    Plenty of drinks?
    Post race activities:
    Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
    2014-10-07 1:56 AM

User image

Subject: SOS - Survival of the Shawangunks

2014-10-07 3:43 AM
    in reply to: #5057410

User image

Champion
    Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
    Subject: RE: SOS - Survival of the Shawangunks
    Awesome race and report Chris! Congratulations!

Shane
    2014-10-07 3:53 AM

User image

Elite
    PEI, Canada

That was a great report Chris!  Sounds like an amazing race, definitely something to do someday.

Congratulations on a well executed race!

2014-10-07 8:30 AM
    in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Gold member
    I was hoping you'd do a small write-up so I could live vicariously but the final product is one of the best RR's I've ever read...nice.

SoS has been on my radar since I got into tri 12 years ago(I worked at Mohonk Mtn House one summer) so you can imagine my disappointment at getting in and then having to make the decision that the running just wasn't realistic for 2014. Your RR makes me even more determined to compete there...

Congrats on your day and great RR - I felt like I was there.
    2014-10-07 10:21 AM

User image

Master
    ...at home in The ATL
    Now THAT is how you write a race report, Chris - well worth the wait! This has been on my list for a very long time as well - I was just beside myself when I heard you actually got in. What a great way to end the season and to get a little motivation back for next year. Congratulations on executing such a great race plan and hitting your targets all along the way - very, very inspiring!
    2014-10-07 10:27 AM

User image

oh my god, I wanna do this race!

2014-10-07 12:31 PM
    in reply to: austhokie

User image

Veteran
    South Windsor, CT
    Chris
    I loved, loved, loved that report!
    You've got the greatest smile in those pics.

Thanks for taking the time to write and document it. This has been on my list and I will likely try to get it done in the coming years. I'm so very glad I got to read and see of your adventure. I learned a lot and it is printed with other information on the race in a nice folder for the future.

You did absolutely so great in the race but it always helps to have a sherpa/wife that is into the event. That makes it easier in a thousand ways.

Congratulations to you on the pace and going sub 6. Sweet deal.

I'm also glad you got to see the East coast. Our family did what we called the 'Liberty tour' a few years ago with the kids-Ellis Island>DC>Maryland (where our youngest was born)>Philly>NYC again>home. Fun times.

Enjoy your down time and I look forward to your next adventure and report!

2014-10-07 1:04 PM

User image

Veteran
    Houston, Texas

Awesome RR, Chris!!  Your series of "enjoy the experiences" races has been so much fun to follow along with this year....now if only you'd stop going to the hospital in the few days leading up to a race!

2014-10-07 2:20 PM

User image

Expert
    lake forest, California

Wow- what an awesome race concept- SOS has been on my radar for years so it's awesome to see you compete there

Love the RR and pics. Fantastic job Chris. Both on the race and report

2014-10-07 2:22 PM
    in reply to: jbjboc

User image

Expert
    lake forest, California

2014 CHRISTMAS CARD PHOTO?

2014-10-07 2:24 PM
    in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Champion
    , Minnesota
    Bronze member

Great job Maurice!  

2014-10-07 4:00 PM

User image

As always a great RR. Well worth the wait.
    2014-10-09 10:58 AM

User image

Master
    Englewood, Florida

Wow, well written and well raced! That sounds like a great race at an even better venue, congratulations on a job well done.

2014-10-09 11:59 AM

Master
    Northern IL

Great job Chris! Looks like such a fantastic event. The extra time you put into the report really shows it well.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
    {postbutton}
    General Discussion Race Reports! » SOS - Survival of the Shawangunks Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

Survival of the Shawangunks S.O.S. Triathlon

Started by ashleyp4776
    Views: 950 Posts: 1

2013-01-27 2:23 PM ashleyp4776

Started by weds19
    Views: 1768 Posts: 1

2012-10-15 3:37 PM weds19

Started by Queen K
    Views: 1728 Posts: 3

2012-09-16 7:21 AM hdhtri

Survival of the Shawangunks

Started by amschrod
    Views: 1611 Posts: 2

2011-09-23 5:16 AM kenj

Survival of the Shawangunks

Started by steven_lohmann
    Views: 1540 Posts: 3

2010-09-14 8:13 PM steven_lohmann
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : September 16, 2014
    author : funkj25
    comments : 0
    The open water swim can be one of the scariest or most fun parts of your race. Use these four tips to take a little fear out of the water and turn it into more of an enjoyable experience.