Twin Cities In Motion
35F / 2C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 41m 10s
Overall Rank = 3193/5398
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 712/1129
Pre-race routine:

Had my handy chauffeur drop me a few blocks from the gear drop at 6:30. I would have pushed it later, but the gear drop closes at 6:45 and I wanted some wiggle room for traffic. Right after I did that, Bryan found me - yay! I convinced him (he needed little) to drop back to corral 3 with me, so we walked over and chatted leading up to race time. I didn't realize we'd start at 7:12, I thought it would be 7:06 - boo. Finally the start.
Run
  • 1h 41m 10s
  • 10 miles
  • 10m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

*"Overall Female Only*

The race, we learned later, was about .15 short. Since I way overran it, I still ran 10 miles according to my Garmin. That's what happens when the street is wide, the crowd is thick, and water stops.

Bryan and I stuck together until the first big incline coming up to East River Rd from the No. 9 bridge (detour part of route due to landslide on normal route). I just can't run up those steep hills, I hate that gassed feeling. After that we were treated to a HUGE downhill. I have been doing some race specific work on running downhill and it's actually paying off. I passed a ton of folks, and I used to be the one getting passed. I am making better use of pushing off and gravity. Yay!

Miles 2-7, approximately, are tough with lots of hills. The last "big" hill is at mile 5, but even then there's an incline for a while. I finally saw Bob around mile 6. I was worried he would think he missed me with the later start time, but it turns out he was delayed too. I told him I was suffering from severe lack of motivation. If he had stopped and talked to me again, I may have cried and/or quit. Fortunately I zoned out until mile 7 and then the fun part starts. With some small exceptions, the course is overall downhill from there. I have struggled mentally on this part in the past (just boredom, really) but I kept at it pretty well this time. I got back a few seconds per mile here. One last huge downhill and then a flat run to cross the line. Whew!

Post race
Warm down:

The temp was under 40 still, I think, so "warm down" is not really accurate. Try not to freeze, basically. I shuffled through the finish line/medal hoo-hah and got my drop bag. I changed right away, which was really nice. Nothing like getting in a little tent with naked sweaty ladies. It was HOT HOT HOT in there! I grabbed my finisher's shirt, my "Summit Challenge"* medal and exited the area. They had a beer tent, and each athlete would get one CAN, but I passed. I actually forgot my ID, but I was way too cold and the thought of a lonely beer just didn't excite me. I walked up to the family waiting area to find Bob. I told him we're changing out last name to start with an A (it starts with a W) since I had to walk a lot farther than the Andersons, or whomever. Long walk back to the parking lot was enough of a cool down for me.

*This was the fourth race in a series called "Summit Challenge." I signed up some time before February and already did two untimed 5ks and a half marathon on July 4th. The 10 Miler is normally a lottery, so doing the whole challenged earned me a guaranteed spot. This was the deal of the century because I got 4 races, 4 great t-shirts, a special challenge long-sleeved pullover, 3 pint glasses and an extra medal. I can't remember the price, but it was under $200. I enjoyed the 5ks a lot more than I thought I would and they were great motivation during a really grueling winter. I don't think I'll bother with this next year, but it was really fun.

Last updated: 2013-12-05 12:00 AM
Running
01:41:10 | 10 miles | 10m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/1129
Overall: 0/5398
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-10-07 8:57 AM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Medtronic TC 10 Mile
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Medtronic TC 10 Mile Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Medtronic TC 10 Mile

Started by trigirlkris
Views: 1842 Posts: 6

2008-10-08 11:12 AM kelpeng

Medtronic TC 10 Mile

Started by nancschneids
Views: 1029 Posts: 1

2007-11-13 2:31 PM nancschneids

Medtronic TC 10 Mile

Started by mlnelson
Views: 1115 Posts: 1

2007-10-07 10:59 AM mlnelson

Medtronic TC 10 Mile

Started by lhanneman
Views: 1522 Posts: 3

2006-12-28 2:19 PM SunnyS

Medtronic TC 10 Mile

Started by elhenders
Views: 1217 Posts: 1

2006-10-29 1:11 PM elhenders
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?
date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.

date : October 24, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
Discussions on keeping heart-rate down on hills, the fat burning zone, lactate threshold (LT) testing, max trainer hours, high HR on the run/walk, the 10% rule and different running workouts.
date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.

date : April 2, 2006
author : a.maria
I think quite truly for the first time I 'get it'. It's not just about the fitness. It's not just about the great little endorphin rush as you hit 5, 10, 15 miles...its not just the medal at the end.
date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.