General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Info on Oleta Trail Runs? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-07 11:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
Subject: Info on Oleta Trail Runs?
Heading south right before Xmas and my wife and I try to get destination events anywhere we go. We are trying to find an event near Ft Lauderdale on 12/14 and I found this: http://www.active.com/north-miami-beach-fl/running/races/oleta-5k-1... It's the Work Smart Play Harder Trail events that appear to be part of a clubs series of sorts. I emailed the contact email address a few weeks back without reply, so any and all info about the event(s) would be appreciated. I am curious about bibs, timing, shirts and trail conditions. I could careless about the trail conditions, as I've raced it all and the harder the better for me, but want to be sure my wife will enjoy her run too. Thanks in advance for any info provided!!

2014-10-07 3:56 PM
in reply to: AeroBaldness

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Info on Oleta Trail Runs?

I've not done these particular races, so I can't help out with most of your questions; but I have raced on the trails before.  Some of the trail is almost like a fire road -wide, hard packed and easy.  While lots of it is single track bike trails.  It is windy, a little bit of up and down (but this is S. Florida, so nothing really to worry about), lots and lots of roots.  You definitely need to watch where you're going while being aware of some low branches too!  In most of the single track area trees are all around you and it can get pretty closed in feeling and no air moving.    I've always enjoyed my runs there. 

2014-10-08 7:16 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
Originally posted by amd723

I've not done these particular races, so I can't help out with most of your questions; but I have raced on the trails before.  Some of the trail is almost like a fire road -wide, hard packed and easy.  While lots of it is single track bike trails.  It is windy, a little bit of up and down (but this is S. Florida, so nothing really to worry about), lots and lots of roots.  You definitely need to watch where you're going while being aware of some low branches too!  In most of the single track area trees are all around you and it can get pretty closed in feeling and no air moving.    I've always enjoyed my runs there. 

Awesome, thanks for the reply!!
2014-10-08 11:13 AM

User image

Master
South Florida
I have done of few of these and they are great...smaller, local and the owner is a ball of energy. The trails are more technical than hilly...though I do remember some little ups and downs. It is possible to get lost as it is trail running. I don't think we got a shirt, the medal was rinky dink..the entry fee is cheap. I highly recommend but I am not one to care much about the shirts and medals They have a 10k and 1/2 mary..if your wife is wanting cool race swag, this is not the race for her. But, I have really enjoyed the few I have done!
2014-10-08 12:45 PM
in reply to: Mimir98

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
Originally posted by Mimir98

I have done of few of these and they are great...smaller, local and the owner is a ball of energy. The trails are more technical than hilly...though I do remember some little ups and downs. It is possible to get lost as it is trail running. I don't think we got a shirt, the medal was rinky dink..the entry fee is cheap. I highly recommend but I am not one to care much about the shirts and medals They have a 10k and 1/2 mary..if your wife is wanting cool race swag, this is not the race for her. But, I have really enjoyed the few I have done!

Sounds like my kind of event (rinky dink is cool at times; heck, I got a home made energy bar for placing in my AG in a trail 1/2 last year) and my wife and I have enough shirts and medals for several lifetimes. Quick follow up, is it safe to assume standard road shoes will suffice and I do not need to pack trail shoes? THANKS!!
2014-10-09 4:12 PM

User image

Master
South Florida

you should be fine in regular shoes..>I think I ran them in my brooks adrenaline or old trail shoes with no nubs on them Maybe we will join you. I will take a look at the calendar.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Info on Oleta Trail Runs? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Florida Challenge Trail Run - Half Marathon : Official Thread

Started by buc20
Views: 1805 Posts: 9

2012-01-23 8:40 PM buc20

Saturday Trail Run

Started by mtepfer
Views: 806 Posts: 1

2009-06-04 9:08 AM mtepfer

oleta park sep. 27 tri-selva triathlon

Started by triflask
Views: 1239 Posts: 6

2008-07-18 3:16 PM MikeTri37

Tampa Trail Running

Started by Tri Take Me Away
Views: 806 Posts: 3

2007-02-25 9:43 PM Tri Take Me Away

St Anthony's Party Info Pages: 1 2 3

Started by G8RSAX
Views: 3849 Posts: 66

2005-04-19 9:29 PM coredump
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 15, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Recipes for Oatmeal Pancakes, Carrot Apple Muffins, Sugar and Spice Pecans and Crunchy Trail Mix

date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?
date : October 29, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.

date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.