General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie to Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-07 6:05 PM

Subject: Newbie to Ironman
Hi All,
I am planning on doing an Ironman in 12-15 months from now. This might be hard but "anything is possible", right?

My background is ultra-running, although I stopped long distances for almost a year. I am planning to start again with a 1/2 marathon next January
I am also a xc mountain biker, with zero experience on road bikes.
I think my weakest discipline would be swimming, I get tired easily after few laps. I think breathing is the problem for me, I know I need to focus big time on technique. I am planning on joining swimming classes soon. btw I am a freediver so I am okay with openwater.

I did a sprint distance few years back, but that was it.

I have few inquiries:
- Any recommendation on training plans for my case? there are so many plans out there that varies a lot, I don't know where I should start from?
- I am 5 ft 5, and I am looking to purchase a triathlon bike. From what I have read on the internet a frame size of small (51, 52) would fit me. Is that right? I am also a bit limited with funds. So I am planning to buy a used bike. Where can I look for used triathlon bikes in uk?

Thank you in advance
Fakahany

2014-10-08 6:42 AM
in reply to: fakahany

User image

Subject: RE: Newbie to Ironman
before focusing on training plans, i would potentially look for a swim coach and get some dedicated time working on that - because if you can't swim well that you'll have issues down the road

bike wise - the most general advice is always get a bike fit first - don't just buy sight unseen - you could end up with more issues than it is worth. do you have a local bike shop near you? talk to them, let them know what you need, give them price range etc - with it approaching the end of 2014, you may be able to get a deal with the new season bikes coming in
2014-10-08 10:32 AM
in reply to: austhokie

Thank you for the advice
I am in the process of finding a swimming coach.
when do you think I should start to look for plans?
2014-10-08 11:24 AM

User image

Master
South Florida
Typically an Ironman plan would be for 16-20 (even 24) weeks...so, about that far out from the race you choose. For now, work on building..getting that bike and getting time in the saddle and working on swim skills! I am 5'5 and yes, a small around 51-52...but I second the notion you should not buy one without trying it out. Is there a tri club in your area? Maybe someone is looking to upgrade!

Welcome to the wonderful world of IM and good luck with your training!! It sounds like you have some good experience - no doubt you will do well!
2014-10-08 1:03 PM

Awesome goal, go for it!
I'm reading the book "The Well-built Triathlete" and I noticed it has a good concise section on swimming approach. I'm no expert but it took me about year to get my (non-tri) swimming dialed in tight so get a coach and get into the pool asap.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie to Ironman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Newbie to Ironman FL 2013

Started by shaidar
Views: 600 Posts: 3

2012-11-19 2:29 PM shaidar

Newbie Ironman vs Ostseeman

Started by Tysk-Ironwill
Views: 946 Posts: 3

2011-10-28 6:40 PM 1stTimeTri

Socal newbie to Ironman!

Started by workerbee
Views: 642 Posts: 5

2009-07-27 8:30 PM Girl Passing on Left

Newbie to Tri - Diving Into a Half Ironman

Started by ripit3
Views: 979 Posts: 3

2007-04-24 11:42 PM ripit3

NYC newbie here- See you in Louisville Ironman!

Started by TacomaLuv
Views: 1123 Posts: 8

2006-10-29 9:02 PM MadCityMick
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.

date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!
date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
comments : 1
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.

date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
comments : 0
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!