General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Mack Cycle Miami Man Zoo Edition Triathlon - Half Iron Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-07 9:55 PM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Subject: Mack Cycle Miami Man Zoo Edition Triathlon - Half Iron Course : Official Thread
Looks like there are at least 8 of us doing this race, so I thought I would start a group. Anyone done this race before?

2014-10-08 6:27 AM
in reply to: jackiep

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Subject: RE: Mack Cycle Miami Man Zoo Edition Triathlon - Half Iron Course : Official Thread
Hi,

Have done the Olympic and half distance several times. In the past it has been very well organized (I believe multirace was sold to new people). The swim is calm and clear. Just a warning that the bike portion can be extremely windy....and I mean windy!

The run has been on pavement, hard packed sand and trail.

Have fun, you will enjoy it.

Alicia
2014-10-09 10:30 PM
in reply to: trirun26

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Mack Cycle Miami Man Zoo Edition Triathlon - Half Iron Course : Official Thread
Hey Alicia,

Thanks for the response. I am from Austin, TX but I am working in Tallahassee for a while.

This past weekend it was really windy here, so it was great training for that race. This will be my second HIM. I am coming over to ride the course on Oct 19 when they do the course tours. Will you be there for that?
2014-10-28 8:38 AM

This will be my first half ironman. I was at the same orientation ride a couple of weeks ago. The past race reports talk about how windy the bike course is but there was very little wind that day. Maybe we'll get lucky. I was wondering about the spectator experience. It's a long day for them. Wife and daughter will be there and will probably go in to the zoo to watch the run, and then hopefully they can catch the tram to get back to the finish for me.
2014-10-28 11:02 AM
in reply to: cuonsanibel

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Originally posted by cuonsanibel

This will be my first half ironman. I was at the same orientation ride a couple of weeks ago. The past race reports talk about how windy the bike course is but there was very little wind that day. Maybe we'll get lucky. I was wondering about the spectator experience. It's a long day for them. Wife and daughter will be there and will probably go in to the zoo to watch the run, and then hopefully they can catch the tram to get back to the finish for me.

Very spectator friendly for the swim and run, your family should enjoy it.

Have a blast! I am off to Panama City for Fl ironman....:-)

Alicia
2014-10-28 9:09 PM

User image

Expert

Did I talk to you on the ride, or were you one of those lightning fast cyclists? This will be my second HIM, but I'm stoked about the course. You should really enjoy it. I love that the water is crystal clear.

2014-10-28 9:10 PM
in reply to: trirun26

User image

Expert
Originally posted by trirun26

Have a blast! I am off to Panama City for Fl ironman....:-)

Alicia

Alicia, what's your bib number? I'm spectating there this weekend.
2014-10-29 10:33 AM

No - not lightning fast at all (17 to 18 mph). I was in a group of 5 (3 guys and 2 girls) after the little park where everyone stopped but we didn't stop for.
2014-10-31 9:41 AM

User image

Miami
I did this race last year as my first HIM and it was well organized event.

Good swim, usually wetsuit legal (not sure how, but every year the water seems to be 0.1 - 0.2 degrees colder than wetsuit legal limit...).

The bike was great, although a little bit windy (I was used to that as I train here in Miami), but I didn't like how you had to fight traffic (cars) the last half a mile and, in my case, stop at a red light for as long as it lasted. Hopefully they fixed that this year.

Run is ok. I though we will actually be running through the zoo and seeing some animals, but that's quite far from the actual run course. You may be running a little bit through the zoo, but you will find yourself running more time through parking lots.

Good luck!!
2014-11-02 9:20 PM

User image

Expert

No - not lightning fast at all (17 to 18 mph). I was in a group of 5 (3 guys and 2 girls) after the little park where everyone stopped but we didn't stop for.

I think you were in the group with me. Jackie and Michelle from Tallahassee?? We didn't stop either.
2014-11-03 3:05 PM

Oh yeah. Good luck to both of you of Sunday.

2014-11-04 7:22 PM

User image

Expert

Oh yeah. Good luck to both of you of Sunday.

You too! What's your name and bib number? I'm #335.

2014-11-05 1:15 PM

# 237 Jeff - Age Group 55-59 - You'll probably catch me on the swim - I'll be in survival mode.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Mack Cycle Miami Man Zoo Edition Triathlon - Half Iron Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Miami Man Half Iron Triathlon : Official Thread

Started by })i({RunnerGirl
Views: 1625 Posts: 4

2013-09-09 11:35 AM })i({RunnerGirl

Prairie Man Half Iron Triathlon : Official Thread

Started by se7930
Views: 1718 Posts: 1

2011-07-26 7:12 AM se7930

Miami Man 1/2 Iron Triathlon : Official Thread

Started by cwpeters
Views: 4203 Posts: 13

2011-11-11 10:12 AM aintaround

Miami Man 1/2 Iron Triathlon : Official Thread

Started by jamiev
Views: 2537 Posts: 1

2009-09-15 10:15 AM jamiev

Mountain Man Triathlon - Half Iron Distance : Official Thread

Started by Fitzy
Views: 2806 Posts: 5

2009-06-18 6:34 PM Fitzy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2014
author : leighdodd
comments : 0
My issue is that I am currently deployed and training outside is proving difficult, especially on the bike. I have found a safe 10km running loop but I am struggling with the bike training.

date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.