General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racing with broken hand Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-08 2:24 PM

Subject: Racing with broken hand
I am 4 weeks out form IM Florida and i have broken a couple bones in my hand -- the 4th and 5th metacarpal. At this point it's still really swollen. The doctor says my hand needs 6 weeks to heal. I told him I had an IM race in 4 weeks. He did not rule out me racing but said it was going to hurt really bad. Has any body been through some thing like this so close to race day? How realistic is it to think I can race? I feel like if I can survive the swim, I can complete the race. Part of me wants to go for it...another part wants to just skip the race and find a marathon to run so all this training doesn't go to waste.

2014-10-08 6:27 PM
in reply to: TriTN71

User image

Subject: RE: Racing with broken hand
Are you in a splint that can withstand the swim? Will the refs be ok with your splint? How do you plan to ride your bike?

There are a lot of questions that you should look into...
2014-10-08 6:40 PM
in reply to: S_Franklin99

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

1-Ask the race director if it would be allowable to swim with a cast or splint.  A cast will be better and protect your hand
2-If the answer is yes then ask your orthopod to give you a goretex cast.  It will be expensive and your insurance won't pay for it because your insurer won't care if you do your race or not
3-Another alternative is a custom fracture brace. DJOrtho makes them and your orthopod sholud be able to get one for you http://www.djortho.com

as a sports trained orthopod you will probably be OK to race but if you dont' protect your hand somehow you could undo the healing or even make it worse changing from something fairly simple to something that needs surgery and your race would be ruined anyway.  I think the biggest danger would be getting your hand whacked on the swim followed buy falling off your bike

2014-10-09 10:31 AM

They say I can swim with a brace as long as it doesn't have a paddle effect. My biggest concern is the swim start. I've done FL IM before and know how brutal the swim start is. So I guess I'll need to sit back and wait til I have plenty of space to swim, which means I also give up the benefit of drafting.
2014-10-09 10:36 AM

User image

Regular
Akron
I KNow a guy that did IMLP with a broken collar bone after 4.5 weeks. took him almost 17 hours, but he finished. He had to swim different and stop on the bike several times. I would think collar bone would be worse than hand, but everyone is different. Good luck, I'm sure you can do it!
2014-10-09 12:51 PM
in reply to: SEADOCHA

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

See if you can get your doc to order you one of these. http://www.djoglobal.com/products/brand?f[0]=im_field_brand:18

Plan on riding aero a LOT

2014-10-12 12:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Originally posted by SEADOCHA

I KNow a guy that did IMLP with a broken collar bone after 4.5 weeks. took him almost 17 hours, but he finished. He had to swim different and stop on the bike several times. I would think collar bone would be worse than hand, but everyone is different. Good luck, I'm sure you can do it!

That's nuts ! I broke my collarbone 10 weeks ago and still can't swim. Suffering for 17 hrs. is not fun.
2014-10-13 12:20 PM
in reply to: louamerica

User image

Regular
Akron
I actually met the guy on this forum. He went to volunteer the day before at the bag check and I saw him. Recognized him from his photos. Anyhow, I was on the run course and see this guy walking with a sling. I was like "NO WAY!" I yelled his name and He gave me a high five and kept going. he crossed the finish line right before 17hrs. It was incredible. He has a story floating around here some where. he said he wasn't even sure he was going to race, but someone helped him develop a stroke for swimming so he did that. I also remember him saying he took a few breaks on the bike and sat down on the grass. it was truly awesome and inspiring to hear this!
2014-10-13 12:23 PM

User image

Regular
Akron
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racing with broken hand Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

pins & needles sensation in face & hands post HIM race

Started by slowman79
Views: 737 Posts: 1

2012-08-23 1:35 PM slowman79

Broken Hand

Started by z bouy
Views: 930 Posts: 5

2006-10-04 7:19 AM z bouy

Week-long hand numbness after bike ride

Started by MTBonker
Views: 1841 Posts: 3

2005-06-15 12:26 PM MTBonker

Wrist / Hand Injury

Started by RandoMBU
Views: 913 Posts: 1

2005-02-06 10:40 AM RandoMBU

Hand cramps while............swimming

Started by jkbostic
Views: 4301 Posts: 11

2005-02-05 10:00 AM RandoMBU
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 5, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I've noticed when running that my hands start to swell. I started running with a fuel belt and started sipping water about 15 minutes into my run. It seemed to help for a few runs, but not all.

date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.
date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.

date : June 27, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Questions and answers on wetsuit swimming, cadence, interval time, paddle benefit, hand entry, runners kick drills, bilateral breathing and race breathing.
date : March 19, 2007
author : Team BT
Stability Ball Hand Opposite Knee Crunch abdominal exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.
date : October 30, 2005
author : smeeko
If you are able to honestly look at your routine and find the balance, you will be a happier person and a happier athlete as well.

date : April 24, 2005
author : AMSSM
It sounds like your ankle has seen plenty of mileage and, by the description of your surgeon’s plan, that you have damage to the articular cartilage that caps your talus bone.