General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Depression and athletics Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-08 4:57 PM

User image

Subject: Depression and athletics
I am wondering if there's anyone here who suffers from a depressive illness.

I have a hard time getting out the door because of my Bipolar 2/ Major Depressive Disorder which colors every aspect of my life. I am on medication but the fatigue and negative symptoms are very hard to overcome.

I would like to take up athletics because I know it will help me, but I'm not sure if it's possible with my illness.

Thanks

2014-10-08 6:20 PM
in reply to: larali

User image

Subject: RE: Depression and athletics
I've got a tentative BP2 Diagnosis!! I'm currently at a euthymic state though my life is in chaos. I'm using the training times as an opportunity to escape the stress/pressure/chaos. I know how hard it is to find motivation while depressed, but I find that if I can push through the initial crush of negativity and get my body moving, I can swim/bike/run faster than my brain can suck me back into a negative state.

Other advise is to try and keep a steady schedule. Get up at the same time everyday, eat your meals at the same time everyday, keep a steady workout schedule. Join clubs, have others to help pull you up and get you going.

See a therapist and work with them.

Absolutely you can do this!!
2014-10-09 11:08 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

You might want to check out this thread:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=109489&posts=966&page=1

I suffered from depression after my heart surgery a number of years ago.  In my experience being active helps, but I still can suffer from bouts of depression triggered by seemingly random events.  Better than it was, but something I think I'm always going to half to deal with on some level.

Mark

2014-10-09 6:03 PM
in reply to: #5058058

User image

New user
Sanford, Florida
My husband has bipolar disorder and working out helps a LOT.

A lot lot lot!
2014-11-11 2:38 PM

Extreme Veteran
A'ali, Bahrain

Heya Larali,  Although everyone's depression is different, it does seem that exercise is one of the most helpful treatments.  Although, for me, often the hardest part of exercise is the first vertical six inches of elevating my butt off the couch.  Please give it a try and explore different ways to get yourself up and out.  Best of luck to you as you work with the bipolarism,

2014-11-13 3:25 PM
in reply to: annie

Good luck... I suffer depression.... I came close to the brink, real close...Untill one morning I just blurted out my feelings randomly at the breakfast table. I got help, meds etc... I've since stopped the meds and feel better in myself, although I still get in dark places sometimes I've learnt how to deal with it, Triathlon helped me alot, I've been injured for a while now and it's hard to stay motivated.

Good luck, I know what your going through!

Mark.

2014-11-14 4:58 PM
in reply to: ironmark

User image

Denver, CO

Good for you for considering getting into athletics!  The fact that you're considering it shows that you're motivated to change.  Now the key is to find ways to start putting that desire into action in ways that create success so you don't get discouraged and quit.  I agree with Annie, those first 6" are the hardest.  I've had major depression for most of my life and I take a handful of meds to manage it. 

I had to start *really* small because I was injured for over 2 years and had no stamina or strength whatsoever.  In Feb. 2014, I started doing just one core exercise 6 days a week (it took about 90 seconds).  After a month of that, I started doing something else 3 days a week.  I did walk/run intervals (4 min. walking, 1 min. running) for 20 minutes one day, rode my bike for 15 minutes another day, swam a few laps another day.  After I got used to doing that for a month or so, I bumped up to 6 day a week.  Bear in mind that I had wanted to do triathlons for 6 years before I was able to start doing this so my desire was really strong.  I entered a 5k about 2 months later and cried when I crossed the finish line.  There are days when I overdo it then hurt too much to work out the next day, there are days when I just don't feel like it (last night, for example), but I keep going because I want it SO much.  I am also really grateful *every day* that I can do this because I had been so debilitated for so long.

The most important things for me have been keeping my expectations reasonable--no, I can't run/bike/swim as far as that person, but they're training for an Ironman and I'm not--rewarding myself when I achieve goals I've set, and being an active part of a community.  I'm in a mentoring group here on BT and it's made all the difference in the world.  Yes, we chit-chat about silly stuff but we also check each others' workout logs and leave encouraging notes for each other.  Having other people notice my progress has helped a lot (I don't tend to give myself enough credit), plus there are times when they help me keep things in perspective.  I also find that cheering other people on makes me feel better, so I do a lot of that.

I hope that you decide to take a crack at doing triathlons.  I think you'll find that the community is really supportive and once you get into the groove of regular exercise, it'll help.  I actually went for a run the other night when it was 9*, dark and snowing because I had a bad day at work and wanted to clear my head.  It worked!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Depression and athletics Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Depression and Meds

Started by sub4fire
Views: 985 Posts: 3

2010-06-12 3:11 PM jONBRIDGE

Depression vs. Motivation and Focus (Psycological Issues)

Started by gibsonrsa
Views: 1459 Posts: 4

2010-04-26 9:21 PM gibsonrsa

Depression Stopping work out

Started by dbw27
Views: 1072 Posts: 7

2009-01-13 9:33 AM Spleen

Depression and Moods- Check in! Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39

Started by Gracia
Views: 122513 Posts: 970

2015-05-22 12:54 PM TeddieMao

science behind depression

Started by nbo10
Views: 1519 Posts: 13

2006-10-22 4:32 PM AdventureBear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 9, 2014
author : glyssellee
comments : 10
My race report is different. My motivating factors go back seven years. I have lived in denial for seven years. Depression. I registered for Ironman Texas even though I felt like a complete failure.

date : February 6, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
Top tips from triathletes on finding your way back to training
date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges

date : June 10, 2008
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 4
A poll goes out to all the Ironman BT'ers in an effort to understand why some get depressed after an Ironman and why some don't and what can be learned.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.

date : May 21, 2007
author : katzchen55
comments : 11
If you are suffering from depression like me, take heart - you are not alone. You can use exercise and triathlon training as depression therapy.
date : October 3, 2006
author : Writebrained
comments : 3
A depressive, convinced that he is unloved by those close to him, may seek to win a more general recognition of his merits by acquiring public acclaim; competition is one way of doing this.

date : April 2, 2006
author : ciarac
comments : 0
The psychological benefits of aerobic exercise are numerous: mood enhancing, reduced anxiety and depression and also stress reduction.