United States
Lakeside Legacy Foundation
38F / 3C
Total Time = 59m 59s
Overall Rank = 3/
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Get to the site early, pick up packet and set up.
Event warmup:

Rode the bike ~20 minutes before hand. Checked out the first few miles of the course. Hadn't ridden it before and it winds all over the place. Decided I'd use both the gloves and arm-sleeves as it was cold out. ~37-41 through the race, A little less before the sun came up. Switched to run gear when I got back and warmed up for that. Need to be ready to go from the start here. Calves were still a bit achy, couldn't get them to really loosen up.
Run
  • 12m 48s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

Waiting for things to get going, a few people had to comment on how little I seemed to be wearing. Everyone else had on at least a long sleeve shirt, many had pants and jacket too. Oh well, good for them. I know what I need.

Started near, but not quite at the front. Behind a guy I knew was very fast and would likely just run away from everyone. Most people tend to bolt out too fast. It's not a big field, so easy to run around as they slow down. Figured mid to low 6's would be good to start at and see how things go. Watched where HR went to over the first mile and just kept up this pace for the second as it seemed to settle in a good spot. Quick, but safe. Held back as I wasn't sure how things would hold up for the bike or Run 2. Ended up in 5th for T1. The two guys up front weren't as far away as I thought they'd be. Figured the one was holding back, only going what he thought he'd need to do for the win.
Transition 1
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

Moved along ok, but didn't rush. Saw a bunch of people go by. Think they were all relay with the runner coming in just behind me. Not much I can do here as their transitions were like 8 seconds. Shoes, helmet, glasses, gloves and off I go. Careful around the gate and mounting area with others around.
Bike
  • 31m 17s
  • 12.9 miles
  • 24.74 mile/hr
Comments:

Started off watching for others quite a bit. Some still don't realize how bad they are at putting shoes on. Compounded by having almost constant s-curves in the first 1.5 miles or so. Fun to ride once I cleared a few people.

No idea where I was in the race with the T1 situation, but just kept on riding. Would just try to hunt down Alex as I knew he'd be up in first or near it. Didn't seem to want to put out near 320 like I had the last couple races, maybe from the colder weather? No hill climbs on this one to spark that.

Could generally see a person well out ahead and took a few minutes to ride them down each time. Going up the west side of the course I could see another up ahead and partway along I realized it was probably Alex (he was like 13th overall at du nats). Wasn't sure I was making up ground until the turn onto the north side. More straight section here and wondered if there was enough left to beat him into T2 (I have no chance of out running him). Saw his riding position looked a little funny, and turns out he was on a road/CX setup. Made the pass just as things started to enter some final turns before T2 and put a little gap in.

Ended up at 308 AP / 310 NP, kind of low for a short race. Had forgotten to switch the 11-28 cassette to the 11-23, but oh well. Not sure it caused too many issues though I did notice the gaps.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Came into T2 excited to finally have a First Off The ... WTH is that other bike doing in there? Turns out another guy had split like me on the bike, but ran with Alex in Run 1. I just changed to run and ran my race. Alex transitioned faster and was just gone trying to catch the guy. He ran a 10:12 for the 2 miles, but wasn't enough to catch up. He'd gone much easier on R1 (for him) and seems that came back to haunt him.
Run
  • 13m 16s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Generally seemed ok starting out, but had to see how calves would hold up. Feet had quite a bit of feeling in spite of the cold air for the bike. Hands and everything else felt just fine, so had done it right. A relay runner came bolting right by before I was out of the parking lot, but didn't get all too far ahead. I kept up my effort and steadily worked into it. Ended up reeling the guy back in around half way as he definitely had gone out too hard.

I had wanted to push this run more than I have with the recent tris, but had to hold back as calf soreness felt off. If they went it could be something that takes some time to recover from. Was up in Z4 by HR, but not by much. Had to slow to work out a side stitch, allowing the guy to jump back in front. Stupid Rusty trick of hard breath with the right foot wasn't doing it this time. Got it under control and pulled back ahead, putting some space in this time as the guy was definitely fading.

Pacing was definitely behind goals on this, but couldn't be helped. Didn't want to get hurt. Came up on the back side of the Dole Mansion, thinking I knew where to go, but apparently they had put out some roadblock sawhorses to keep the traffic out after we had gone out for R1, but didn't put any arrows or volunteers here to help direct us. I do say to know the course, but putting up road blocks with no indicators after people have gone through it once really doesn't things, especially when this is right at the end of the race when we can't hardly think straight. The run alone has about a dozen actual turns to find/remember along with at least as many side roads to not go down. Then they did it again at the parking lot to the finish (more than one entrance to the lot). I looked around for some indication, everyone at the finish was looking the other way as that's where most of the action is. Looked back to the other guy, he nodded and pointed to head in, so I did.

Picked up the pace some as I knew he'd be making a push too. Could see him trying to make a sprint and getting close. Not today buddy, and picked it up just enough to hold him off.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and grabbed some food. Liked having the doughnuts, not hiding the chocolate ones from me. Mostly just hung around for awhile and watched people come in. Caught up with some other people I knew who were doing the race as well. Thought I could do this one in just under an hour, and even with subpar racing still did it with time to spare.

Last updated: 2014-10-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:12:48 | 02 miles | 06m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: 1 loop in the subdivision, lots of turns.
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 01:27
Overall:
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:31:17 | 12.9 miles | 24.74 mile/hr
Overall: 2/
Performance:
Wind:
Course: 1 loop, lots of s-curves & turns in places with some straights.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:13:16 | 02 miles | 06m 38s  min/mile
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: Reverse of Run 1
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-10-09 12:20 PM

Master
Northern IL
Subject: Run and Roll for the Dole

2014-10-09 3:02 PM
in reply to: #5058320

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Run and Roll for the Dole

I can't even fathom those paces or power numbers -- you are a beast, Ben!

2014-10-10 6:48 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Wow, awesome job Ben. 3rd overall while being careful on the calf. Congratulations!

2014-10-10 10:55 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Denver, CO

Super job, Ben!!  If it hadn't been for the calf and side stitch issues, you might have taken it all.  As it is, 3rd place isn't half bad!  The chocolate doughnut sounds like the perfect way to top off an excellent race.

2014-10-10 11:34 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Nice job in spite of cold(er) weather and a poorly marked course. Congrats on the bling!!!!!!!!!! You are an animal!

2014-10-10 7:22 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ligersandtions

I can't even fathom those paces or power numbers -- you are a beast, Ben!

I forget, but think you're closer to me than I am to the one guy. 3 minutes in 2 miles, cripes.

2014-10-10 7:24 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by rrrunner

Nice job in spite of cold(er) weather and a poorly marked course. Congrats on the bling!!!!!!!!!! You are an animal!

Thanks. In general the course was rather well marked with the signs all over. Just had the confusion in that last bit.

2014-10-13 2:18 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

I greatly enjoy reading the race reports of the very speedy, vicariously seeing the front of the race with them!  Great job, Ben.  Man, you really smoked on the bike!  Mmmm, doughnuts...

2014-10-17 8:16 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Great race as always, Ben - super that you are still going strong this late in the season. Sorry the breathing thing didn't work for you this time. Next time go to plan 'B': 6 bananas chased with 2 liters of Canada Dry. I can GUARANTEE this will take your mind off the side stitch.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Run and Roll for the Dole Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Role for the Dole Duathlon

Started by airnout
Views: 928 Posts: 1

2010-10-19 7:48 AM airnout

Temple Beth Hillel Run-Walk-Roll 5K

Started by tcovert
Views: 1425 Posts: 1

2008-02-06 2:58 PM tcovert

Jim Click's Run 'N' Roll

Started by cbirchrun
Views: 701 Posts: 2

2007-10-10 9:41 AM shawn barr

Q95 Rock and Roll Run

Started by JJCraig
Views: 1096 Posts: 3

2006-10-07 5:40 PM CitySky

Greater Chicago Prostate Cancer Run Walk 'n Roll

Started by malici
Views: 802 Posts: 2

2006-09-10 5:38 PM 1 Foot The Other
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 5, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
After you have established the Ironman goal, the most important factor outside of the training is which race to choose? What is your best sort of course, hilly, rolling, flat?