United States
47F / 8C
Sunny
Total Time = 37m 13s
Overall Rank = 2295/3463
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 289/551
Pre-race routine:

The first 5K, let alone race event for both Liz and Whale (a term of endearment, truly, not a mean nickname). Liz had done some fast walk/run training, but Whale did none, expecting to simply walk the event since it is a run/walk. This is an important piece of info to remember later.

Arrived in the Lehigh Valley area on Saturday with my sister, 'Whale', and my good friends 'Cuda' and 'Lizard'. We did a little shopping, had a good lunch at Bethlehem Brewworks, did packet pick up, (including our bibs, t-shirts and plastic beer steins), then hit the Easton garlic festival ('Eat, Drink, Stink') and I found so many enjoyable and tasty items. That evening we had a top notch dinner at Molinari's in Bethlehem. Perfecto!

Race morning we didn't need to get up crazy early since the race only began at 10:30. We had ample time to get breakfast at the hotel and walk to the race start. Walking there was my suggestion, as I was afraid parking would be a very limited affair, but it turned out we could've driven and had no trouble finding a decent spot. Oh well, the walk served as a nice warm-up!

Once at the race site, we dropped our bags at bag check, hit the restrooms and got situated in the corrals. Unfortunately, all 3 things I just mentioned were a bit of a cluster and could've been better organized. Apparently there were enough complaints that the race organization apologized via Facebook for the bag check and bathroom situations.
Event warmup:

Some hopping around and light stretching since there wasn't much room in the start crowd. We all ate some Stinger chews. It was much chillier than we had planned on, but with the crowd around us it wasn't too bad at this point in time.
Run
  • 37m 13s
  • 5 kms
  • 07m 26s  min/km
Comments:

They started the race by time corrals, leaving a few minutes between each group. It was about 7-8 minutes until our little group started. I tried to put us in the 11+ min/mile group but didn't see the little flags they had to designate the corrals, so we were actually in the 9-11 min/mile group. Once I realized my error, well, actually my sister overheard someone else comment about it, we made plans to move off to the right to allow faster runners past. Of course we were worried over nothing as people slower than us and walkers hadn't grouped themselves properly, either.

When the signal to go was given, all 4 of us started at a light jog, Whale included. I was surprised, since she doesn't run and wasn't planning on running. After a few hundred yards, Lizard and I pulled away from Cuda and Whale. Not too much later, I saw a broken steak knife blade in the road which was a bit creepy. Lizard had requested I stay with her, so I told her to dictate the pace and the run/walk intervals. She surprised me by running the entire first 1.25 miles, including going over the bridge (like a hill) and back down before she took a walk break.

There were German dancers and musicians throughout the course which was great fun!

We kept alternating running and walking but mainly running with me chattering away, offering encouragement and tips and general distraction. She opted not to stop for water at the only water stop, so I didn't take any, either. Once we crossed the river for the second time, she wanted to walk some more. I let her walk as long as she wished, then we decided together that it would be the final walk break and she would run to the finish. As we neared the finish, I could tell her energy was waning and she didn't want to keep running, so I kept encouraging her. She is one tough little cookie and pushed on and ran across the line. She was exuberant about finishing! We quickly looked for water, didn't readily see any (another little bit of foreshadowing), so we headed back to the finish area to cheer on Cuda and Whale.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I was running at my friend's pace to be with her during her first race. This wasn't about me or my time.
Post race
Warm down:

When Cuda finished with Whale only 12 seconds behind her, we cheered and hugged and celebrated. I think Whale was wishing for an oxygen tank and a sofa! I was so incredibly proud of Whale and Lizard for taking on this challenge which is way out of their comfort zone and normal thing to do.

We searched for the 'medals' (decorated gingerbread cookies), snacks and water and eventually found them behind a non-moving wall of people. It was very disorganized and racers were handing the items out to the crowd, reaching over other people. I'm not really sure why it was a mess like this, maybe people were standing around rather than moving through the lines/area. We got our food and water, then needed to figure out where the 'medals' were. Again, we eventually found them behind a crowd of not really moving people. Frustrating. Next we retrieved our bags from bag check, which went significantly smoother than the drop-off.

It felt good to get our warm jackets on, it was windy and chilly. We stood in line for close to an hour for our 'free' beers, then headed in to enjoy the offerings of Oktoberfest! A decent assortment of German foods, a great Polka band who performed a fun mix of traditional Polka songs as well as contemporary rock songs that were 'Polka-ized', a traditional German dance troupe that did various dances including the Schuhplattler.

I got a Bratwurst sandwich with kraut and put imported German ketchup on one end and hot mustard on the other to try them both as well as some Sauerkraut pierogies, yum!! Later we shared apple dumpilngs with ice cream. Goes great with Oktoberfest beer, LOL! We did the Chicken Dance, the final song the band played before going on break before we left, great fun!

On the way out we spotted the Alp horn players. In between songs, I asked one a few questions and he gave me the history and info on the instrument and, wait for it, he let me play it!!! SQUEAL!! I played trombone in HS, so I was familiar with how to make different tones. Lizard got to play, too, and they had us do a little competition (which really drew a crowd), which I won, which was awesome until I realized that it meant I had to go up against one of the real guys next! Of course he won, hands down. I was on cloud 9 and didn't stop yammering about it for at least the next half hour! Truly the highlight of my day and weekend!

Poor Whale was really hurting after the race and was hurting even more the next day. Our dad said she was walking around like a 90 year old woman! I think she would've been OK if she'd stuck with her original plan to just walk.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

n/a

Event comments:

This was the first year for this race. Overall the experience was good, but they have some issues to address to improve for next year, namely better bag check, port-a-potties rather than relying on existing on-site bathrooms (which were nice, of course, but way too crowded), and maybe having more than one place to get beer. Having it in conjunction with Oktoberfest really made it a fun event. The good times we had at Oktoberfest helped lessen some of the bad of the issues listed above.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-08-18 12:00 AM
Running
00:37:13 | 05 kms | 07m 26s  min/km
Age Group: 0/551
Overall: 0/3463
Performance: Good
Course: Eh, too long to describe at length. Start at the Steel Stacks, cross the river, run around on the other side, run back across the river, end up at the Steel Stacks again.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-10-10 3:32 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: Yuengling Oktoberfest 5K

2014-10-11 10:05 PM
in reply to: #5058738

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Yuengling Oktoberfest 5K

You got to play an alp horn?  How cool is that?!  What a fun race for Liz and Whale to do as their first 5k, and so awesome of you to let them dictate how they wanted to do it.  Frustrations aside, it sounds like you had a flat-out super day.  WIN!!

2014-10-21 3:39 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Race looks like fun.
How is Whale doing now? Has she got the running bug?
2014-10-22 6:41 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Great job and you were awesome as always. It is really cool to see how supportive and kind you are with those around you. I hope Whale is feeling better!

2014-10-22 9:16 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Now that's how a 5K should be done! Great job Melanie and cool write up. The company I work for has a warehouse/assembly plant in Allentown so maybe some day if I travel there I can do a race like this one.
2014-10-22 9:47 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Congrats to your family/friends on their first 5k and it was awesome that you ran with them and showed them the ropes!

2014-10-22 1:51 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I think I need to revisit how I approach race day. 

2014-10-23 2:46 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Race looks like fun. How is Whale doing now? Has she got the running bug?

Poor Whale was sore for about 5 days and says she'll do another race in 15 years, LOL!

2014-10-23 5:54 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Race looks like fun. How is Whale doing now? Has she got the running bug?

Poor Whale was sore for about 5 days and says she'll do another race in 15 years, LOL!

I guess not then
2014-10-24 12:17 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

You sure pick out the fun races!  If I ever get up to central PA again I want to do a few races with you.  
Great job encouraging your friend through her first 5K!!

2014-10-27 1:51 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Seattle

Now that is a race medal I could get behind. Awesome!

It's so cool how you get your friends to do stuff out of their comfort zone. Great job being an ambassador of the sport!

When I think of Polka music I think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo3zKsNLK0c "polka king of the midwest" 

2014-10-30 1:02 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Sounds like a fun race, even more so when you get to do it with friends!

I didn't grow up with the German/Polish culture, I married in to it. But I love the food, beer, songs, dance. Such a fun time!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Yuengling Oktoberfest 5K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Yuengling Lager Jogger 5K

Started by melbo55
Views: 1673 Posts: 6

2014-05-07 4:18 PM QueenZipp

St. Charles Oktoberfest 5k

Started by RZ0
Views: 831 Posts: 1

2013-09-30 1:39 PM RZ0

Yuengling Light Lager Jogger 5K

Started by melbo55
Views: 1243 Posts: 6

2013-04-19 3:00 PM reecealan

Oktoberfest 5k/100 yard Dash

Started by FF Stock
Views: 1066 Posts: 2

2010-09-20 9:22 AM rayd

Breckenridge Oktoberfest 5k

Started by drewb8
Views: 1633 Posts: 2

2006-09-18 8:43 AM jmwebs
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
author : SrhShepherd
comments : 9
How triathlon helped me become the person I wanted to be

date : May 17, 2010
author : mjfewell
comments : 3
In November of 2000, I noticed that I was losing the feeling in my toes. The sensation traveled up my body and within a week, I was nearly 80% paralyzed.
date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.

date : October 24, 2004
author : tri-en
comments : 0
If you are like many runners you may be frustrated at racing 5K distances and never being able to run them faster. Improve your race pace with this flexible 12 week program.
date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.