User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Kona World Championships!

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Left Brain ....but if you can run a very fast 5/10K, swim a 16:XX 1500, and carry 4.5-5.0  W/kg on the bike you can....especially if you are hitting those numbers as a kid and holding them for a number of years. 
5.0 w/kg ? How many kids in Jr Elite are doing that ?

More than you think.  My kid was tested before last season at a Pedal Hard shop....he's 6'4" and weighed 150 when he was tested at 310 FTP before the start of this season.  He'll get to 5.0 pretty easily if he keeps progressing as he has, he's only 16 still (race age 17) so he has two more years on the Jr. circuit.  He is far from alone, and not near the most powerful cyclist on that circuit. But c'mon dude.....you don't throw down the top time on the bike at Chicago sprint if you don't have any power. You need to get out more.

nice. Matt Chrabot, who is under 140lbs is about 5w/kg. And he was the alternate on the Olympic team. At 150lbs Jr will have to put out more watts than him to be 5.0. Glad it will be pretty easy :-)

For all I know he may already be there.....he was tested when he hadn't been on a bike for 2 months....they just wanted to see where he was before they started with him.  Still, he's closer to 160 lbs. now so who knows. 

You know what, for some of these freaks it is easy.....they put in the time and it happens. I don't like it either, but it is what it is.  As you know, he also runs a sub 4:20 mile......they are not like us.  I'm good with it.

Well there you go....if he's stronger than Matt Chrabot, start telling people "yes, he will be going to the Olympics". Problem solved BTW, Ben Hoffman isn't 5w/kg

Naw, I tell people who ask that he's NOT going to the Olympics, but I don't tell him that when he says he is, I just say, "go dude".  Besides, he's got LOADS of work to do with bike handling, but Matt may have his hands full with him already in a TT....he beats the Cat 1 guys around here in a TT, but he's not close to there in a crit.  Bro, are you ok?  Is the water up there bad or something? You're always crabby.

2014-10-15 7:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Kona World Championships!

Originally posted by Left Brain ....but if you can run a very fast 5/10K, swim a 16:XX 1500, and carry 4.5-5.0  W/kg on the bike you can....especially if you are hitting those numbers as a kid and holding them for a number of years. 
5.0 w/kg ? How many kids in Jr Elite are doing that ?

More than you think.  My kid was tested before last season at a Pedal Hard shop....he's 6'4" and weighed 150 when he was tested at 310 FTP before the start of this season.  He'll get to 5.0 pretty easily if he keeps progressing as he has, he's only 16 still (race age 17) so he has two more years on the Jr. circuit.  He is far from alone, and not near the most powerful cyclist on that circuit. But c'mon dude.....you don't throw down the top time on the bike at Chicago sprint if you don't have any power. You need to get out more.

nice. Matt Chrabot, who is under 140lbs is about 5w/kg. And he was the alternate on the Olympic team. At 150lbs Jr will have to put out more watts than him to be 5.0. Glad it will be pretty easy :-)

For all I know he may already be there.....he was tested when he hadn't been on a bike for 2 months....they just wanted to see where he was before they started with him.  Still, he's closer to 160 lbs. now so who knows. 

You know what, for some of these freaks it is easy.....they put in the time and it happens. I don't like it either, but it is what it is.  As you know, he also runs a sub 4:20 mile......they are not like us.  I'm good with it.

Well there you go....if he's stronger than Matt Chrabot, start telling people "yes, he will be going to the Olympics". Problem solved BTW, Ben Hoffman isn't 5w/kg

Naw, I tell people who ask that he's NOT going to the Olympics, but I don't tell him that when he says he is, I just say, "go dude".  Besides, he's got LOADS of work to do with bike handling, but Matt may have his hands full with him already in a TT....he beats the Cat 1 guys around here in a TT, but he's not close to there in a crit.  Bro, are you ok?  Is the water up there bad or something? You're always crabby.

No, I am fine. Thanks for being concerned. I just have this thing for numbers and when they don't add up....professional obsession. I apologize

You need to send him to the tunnel

He does more w/kg than Ben Hoffman and Matt Chrabot

But he is 1.5 to 2min slower (on a sprint) than guys not doing 5w/kg at the same races as him.

It has to be drag. You need to send him to the tunnel.

The beauty of the internet is all the data is there. I wish I could even come close to those numbers. Good thing I can add. I certainly won't make it on my cycling talent.

And BTW, while I pull your chain and tease that your numbers don't add up, I do sincerely believe the kid has a ton of talent and a work ethic I wish all 16 year olds had.

End of thread for me :-)

Edited by marcag 2014-10-15 7:55 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kona World Championships! Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Kona World Championship Live Stream Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by petert01
Views: 7326 Posts: 100

2012-10-14 9:04 AM BrianRunsPhilly

Kona Non Championship race?

Started by NewClydesdale
Views: 1461 Posts: 17

2011-10-12 6:46 PM chirunner134

Kona World Championships Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by kdlsch111
Views: 15892 Posts: 335

2010-10-10 2:25 PM bzgl40

Kailua-Kona's 18-Year-Olds Complete World Championship

Started by xcrunner2010
Views: 1147 Posts: 9

2008-12-05 7:20 PM triatty

Kona Ironman World Championship Broadcast Re-air Sunday

Started by Tri3
Views: 1760 Posts: 25

2007-08-07 10:45 AM 1st Timer in NY
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 12, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Four Kona athletes give us their race stories.

date : October 20, 2010
author : Coach AJ
We interview several age-groupers pre-race on their Ironman Kona race thoughts.
date : October 7, 2008
author : trvw
Q&A with a triathlete who decided to compete last minute while vacationing overseas in Croatia.

date : August 10, 2007
author : leifashley
comments : 4
From couch potato to a tri in 8 weeks. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. The race organizers had it down and there were no problems at all. This was the perfect first tri, in my opinion.
date : December 13, 2004
author : trilover
comments : 1
TriLover recently had the opportunity to interview Tim and Nicole. Read what the DeBooms had to say about triathlon, their support for each other and life.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.