General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Well-Built Triathlete: What are the workouts? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-11 5:15 PM

Subject: Well-Built Triathlete: What are the workouts?
My first tri books were Friel: My First Tri and TTB. I felt like those were pretty straight-forward in giving specific workouts for different phases. I just read Well-Built Triathlete, and the book really resonated with me, but I'm not sure what my workout is for tomorrow morning. One of his points is that different types of workouts fit for different phases (duh), but then there are only two examples of each type. He mentions that he usually recommends the post-season should be swim-heavy, and back off the run (which fits for me), but then the weekly blocks don't have different phases.

I guess I'm just missing how to actually implement this (without taking it to a coach and saying "here's what I want to do"). Anyone else have a challenge turning this in to action? What am I missing?

Thanks, all!

2014-10-12 8:00 AM
in reply to: runningmon

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Subject: RE: Well-Built Triathlete: What are the workouts?
I too just got this book.
As soon as I can start to train again, I'm going to try and implement some cross fit into my schedule.
That's the key. You need to start using other muscles to get stronger all over to prevent injury.
Start with weights and TRX. Do some plyo metric jumping and work the core.

I also got the Beyond Training book. He talks about HIIT. High intensity, interval training.
Do less basic SBR training, more other cross fit oriented training.
As we age, the idea of staying fit and strong is important.
2014-10-12 4:53 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by runningmon

My first tri books were Friel: My First Tri and TTB. I felt like those were pretty straight-forward in giving specific workouts for different phases. I just read Well-Built Triathlete, and the book really resonated with me, but I'm not sure what my workout is for tomorrow morning. One of his points is that different types of workouts fit for different phases (duh), but then there are only two examples of each type. He mentions that he usually recommends the post-season should be swim-heavy, and back off the run (which fits for me), but then the weekly blocks don't have different phases.

I've not read this book however if he gives a couple of sample workouts of each type and you have workouts you've used before, couldn't you just use ones that are similar to the examples?

As for the swim and phases question you ask - are you saying that if you just focus on swimming for several weeks there are no phases or am I misunderstanding.

I guess I'm just missing how to actually implement this (without taking it to a coach and saying "here's what I want to do"). Anyone else have a challenge turning this in to action? What am I missing?

The key IME is that you need to read through and try to grasp the principles used to design training plans and workouts. Often athletes are just looking for the workouts to be given but in books like this seems to be, then you'll need to apply the principles and write your own workouts. Many books that present principles instead of training plans will often see similar questions (like Daniels' Running Formula) - try to figure out what you want to accomplish and then use that to guide workout creation.

Shane
2014-10-12 5:35 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by gsmacleod

Originally posted by runningmon

I've not read this book however if he gives a couple of sample workouts of each type and you have workouts you've used before, couldn't you just use ones that are similar to the examples?

As for the swim and phases question you ask - are you saying that if you just focus on swimming for several weeks there are no phases or am I misunderstanding.

The key IME is that you need to read through and try to grasp the principles used to design training plans and workouts. Often athletes are just looking for the workouts to be given but in books like this seems to be, then you'll need to apply the principles and write your own workouts. Many books that present principles instead of training plans will often see similar questions (like Daniels' Running Formula) - try to figure out what you want to accomplish and then use that to guide workout creation.

Shane

Read the book this summer and I follow Dixon a lot through his articles, blog, etc.

Its not a workout book but really gives a view into coaching athletes, the "whys" "hows", ways to look at things etc. He has a huge focus on recovery and strength training and looks at training to be sustainable over time. This book gives insights into those ideas/views.
2014-10-13 11:21 PM

I think you both are saying what I've realized in re-reading the sections. It is much more about "look for workouts which are..." I think that if I had more experience to recall, I'd be able to translate that into "Oh, this workout over here..." Now I go back to other sources to try and find things which match up. Thanks!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Well-Built Triathlete: What are the workouts? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First bike build - what am I missing? - Questions

Started by timf79
Views: 1148 Posts: 11

2013-05-25 8:01 AM audiojan

Building The World’s Best Triathlete

Started by jaelinfunk
Views: 829 Posts: 7

2012-03-01 2:49 PM indianacyclist

"A hand-built wheel is always the best"

Started by Bripod
Views: 1469 Posts: 11

2011-05-22 2:55 PM Sprint_DA

confidence building workouts/ones to let you know where you are

Started by newbz
Views: 1044 Posts: 6

2009-04-04 10:01 PM newbz

What's the best way to build up 1500M?

Started by johnmok2
Views: 1038 Posts: 7

2004-03-06 5:57 PM johnmok2
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 17, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 5
Being a pro triathlete is even more boring than you might have thought

date : December 22, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
This month, the focus will be on building your aerobic base while improving or maintaining stroke technique.
date : October 22, 2008
author : Curt Chesney
What training do you do during your off season? Any advice on what to aim for? Should I focus on building a better base?

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.
date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : December 7, 2006
author : Ontherun
"Finding triathlon has probably saved my life." A late bloomer shares some of his journeys on becoming a 4rth year triathlete.