General Discussion Triathlon Talk » YOUR first HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-12 4:50 AM

Subject: YOUR first HIM
How did you guys go for your first HIM? Good stories, bad stories, do's and dont's. I have my first coming up in a few weeks so would like to hear how people were leading up to their race and how it all went?

2014-10-12 5:56 AM
in reply to: Jimmycolorado

User image

Subject: RE: YOUR first HIM
My first HIM didn't go that well. I had cramps on the run and some issues on my bike. The main thing I took away from it though was:

1) Make a list of what you need, write it down, and then put each sport in it's own bag. I worried non-stop about forgetting stuff.
2) Bring and wear sunscreen! If they have volunteers for this, put it on sooner rather than later. Got really sunburned at my first one. ("I'll only be in the sun 4-6 hours the entire day....")
3) Bring a hat for warm/hots events. Toss ice in the hat at aid stations and put back on. Really helps keep you cool.

Remember to have fun but also that it's a race. Pace yourself and trust in your training.
2014-10-12 6:28 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
My first HIM was the classic just-survive-the-swim-and-it'll-be-great kinda race. It was my third triathlon and my first long one.

My swim at that point was terrible. I think I swam 1:05. Not even kidding. I used a lot of back crawl and just kinda took it slow and steady. I just wanted to get out of the water.

The bike and run were fine, particularly the run actually. It was only 2 minutes slower than my first stand-alone half marathon. Make sure to not get cold on the bike and be prepared to adjust your nutrition plan. I drank a lot less than planned because the weather was colder than anticipated, and it worked well.

After that terrible swim I started training it properly and I swam my ironman swim in 1:21. It won't impress the fast guys but it's a significant improvement.
2014-10-12 7:23 AM
in reply to: Dnn

User image

There's a different vibe about longer distance races.  I'm not good at rushing through transition so it's nice to be able to take that extra minute to do things properly knowing it (probably) won't matter as much in the overall scheme of things.  Because intensity is lower I found the transition from bike to run easier.  By virtue of the course being longer is was a little lonelier out there than your average Olympic event but I didn't mind that - I train on my own anyway.

I view a HIM similar to a full IM - it's a 10k race.  Everything I do is trying to get me to the 10k start line in good shape and then give it some.  I went under 6 hours in my first which I was really chuffed with but it's proving a bit harder to get under 5.  Maybe next summer!

2014-10-12 7:40 AM
in reply to: #5059075

I have been crook the last few weeks and haven't been able to train at all. So it's hard not to feel as I've missed the crucial time of training. But I have put in some good training so just need to remind myself to enjoy it and I should be ok.
2014-10-12 7:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Jimmy, don't worry. About being injured and missing training.
I missed this entire season due to injury.
That said, I LOVE the HIM distance. It's my favorite. You can push hard and get home in time for dinner.
Some races were in extreme humidity. Imagine strapping a wet mattress to your back and run !
One year, all of my races were in the rain. Staying on the bike was key.
Flat bike doesn't mean fun ! If you like hills on the bike, you know you are getting them on the run !
The key to HIM racing is run fitness.
Swim is the same as oly, just a bit more. Bike is longer than you think, eat and drink according to your plan. Yes, eat something on the bike.
Most of all, have fun.

2014-10-12 8:28 AM
in reply to: louamerica

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
My first (and only) one went really well. The only complication was that it was actually my second attempt. Due to freak weather at the one I'd planned on doing, the bike got cut to 29 miles and I ended up switching to the duathlon when start temps were high 40s and raining. So my first HIM, about a month later, was actually my second attempt, sort of. It was useful to have the experience of running a half-marathon after the bike, I guess.

I had a strong swim and run and (for me) a decent bike. No real issues with nutrition except that I somehow managed to have everything on the bike as chocolate (gu, bars) and I got sick of it. You might want to consider carrying some different flavors and a few extra in case what's usually palatable suddenly isn't. I'm not a strong biker, but a good swimmer and was in the first wave, so it felt pretty discouraging to get passed by all and sundry over 90 km of biking, and there's less of the race, proportionately speaking, to catch back up on the run in a HIM. I was definitely glad I'd really worked on my biking, and done plenty of bricks (100 km ride/10 km run was my staple, I also did an 85 mile ride). I felt really good although I cramped a bit in the last 2-3 miles--nothing serious and finished strong. The actual race was far easier than training for it during the hottest season in Vietnam--it's why I haven't, so far, done another one!
2014-10-12 9:07 AM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
First was HITS Sterling back in 2012 (was supposed to be Fort Collins, but that was one of the years with really bad Forest Fires West of Town). The swim was fine. I didn't have a great one, but it wasn't terrible. The bike was okay. An easy out and back course. I had a few dark patches, but nothing too terrible. The run, well . . . by the time we started it was in the mid to upper 90's. There was very little shade so I took it one aid station at a time. Wasn't my best performance ever, but given the heat, I was happy with how it went.
2014-10-12 9:43 AM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

I have this bookmarked as one of my favorite threads - Things I wish I knew before my first HIM
2014-10-12 9:47 AM

1. Train as hard as you can. As much volume as you can. Even if you think it's a lot, the HIM is long enough that you'd still benefit from more. 

2 Take the bike EASY!! It should literally feel like it's just brushing up on moderate pace - if you start even huffing, you're going too hard. You will make up all the time you lose on the bike x2 on the run against people who overbike (which is the majority of AGers.

3. Nutrition for HIM is not complicated. It's the same stuff you use/train with for your 3hr weekend bike long rides, no different. If you meltdown on race day, it's almost certainly NOT a nutrition issue and almost definitely a training (lack of) issue if you just stick to this.

2014-10-12 9:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

My first HIM was a complete disaster.  Made a real boneheaded nutritional mistake and decided to ignore basic human physiology and took in WAY too many calories while on the bike.  That led to severe GI distress on the run, which led to a lot of vomiting, which led to severe dehydration, which led to a ride in the ambulance, which led to six IV bags, which led to a hospital stay, which led to, well, you get the picture.

2014-10-12 9:56 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by yazmaster

1. Train as hard as you can. As much volume as you can. Even if you think it's a lot, the HIM is long enough that you'd still benefit from more. 

2 Take the bike EASY!! It should literally feel like it's just brushing up on moderate pace - if you start even huffing, you're going too hard. You will make up all the time you lose on the bike x2 on the run against people who overbike (which is the majority of AGers.

3. Nutrition for HIM is not complicated. It's the same stuff you use/train with for your 3hr weekend bike long rides, no different. If you meltdown on race day, it's almost certainly NOT a nutrition issue and almost definitely a training (lack of) issue if you just stick to this.

Sums up my feelings pretty well.

My first one, I was seriously under-trained on the bike. I didn't push the pace on longer rides, and I didn't really push it on shorter ones either. Haha.

However, I biked fairly easy (aka SLOW) during the race, then had a great run - passing lots and lots of suffering/walking people.

My next half iron was a 20 min PR, most of that time was taken off my bike split.

So, train HARD, race within the limits of your training (even if it means a terrible bike split), and have FUN!

ETA: don't lose your timing chip in your wetsuit

Edited by ratherbeswimming 2014-10-12 9:57 AM
2014-10-12 10:17 AM

User image

Expert
South Florida
On the morning of my first HIM I had to get up at 0230 due to some kind of parking schedule where we had to be there at 0500. For some reason, I don't know if it was nerves or a bad dinner decision, but I had a bad morning. I decided I would go and if I did't feel better I would just watch the race.

Luckily I felt better during the long wait until my wave went off and was able to race. Pretty uneventful race and not a stellar time, but I was taking it easy, and making sure I finished. After I crossed the finish line, I saw my wife crying. I was really surprised as she was pretty neutral about the whole thing during training. She said she was caught up in the emotion and choked up.

I never would have thought a six-plus hour HIM would have much emotion tied to it, but some people really battled to finish in that time and you could feel it when they crossed the line.
2014-10-12 10:34 AM

Scottsdale, AZ
My first HIM I had a MAJOR panic attack in the water - within the first 5 min. Half my brain kept screaming to quit, that it wasn't worth it, while the other half kept saying keep going, you trained for this, you can't quit now!!

If you can get past the first 5 initial minutes of the swim (if you get anxiety - like I do), then you will be good.

Race your own race, conservative on the bike will mean a better run!

I carried my own water on the run because of the temps in AZ (hot, even in October) and I didn't trust the aid stations (which can run out of water). Plus I wanted to drink when I wanted.

Make a nutrition plan and stick to it. I made a mistake too during one of my races to take in WAY too many calories on the bike! I had such bad stomach cramps during the first half of the run that I could barely walk and breathe, let alone try to run. Find what works for you and stick to it!

Best of luck! HIM is my favorite distance too!

2014-10-12 1:20 PM
in reply to: runspingirl

After your first HIM, you'll know what to do on the second one.
2014-10-12 1:25 PM
in reply to: runspingirl

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
My first HIM:

1. Good swim, was very choppy but I was ready for that.
2. Good bike but over-cooked it a bit
3. Bad run, over-cooked the bike, probably didn't take in enough calories.

My lesson was to manage the bike effort better. My next HIM was Branson where I managed the bike (over 5,000 feet of climbing) and I had a much better run.

Have a good nutrition plan and don't over-cook the bike, that's my $ 0.02

2014-10-12 2:43 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

My first HIM was good. I used the BT HIM plan and stayed in my HR zones during the race. My goal was to finish under 6 hours and I almost finished under 5 hours. Had a great time and enjoyed the race experience.
2014-10-12 4:30 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

1) Had a great summer of training, went fro sprint to HIM training

2) ~6 weeks before HIM, DNF in Oly, crashed on the bike and lost a lot of skin. Training was limited to biking and running for 3 weeks once I got back into it.

3) ~2 weeks out the family contacted a nasty respiratory infection.  I had a barking cough, had to sleep sitting up and was on meds.  I recovered in time to get in a a few workouts before race day.

4) Enjoyed every moment of the race, didn't meet my soft goal but that was expected.

2014-10-12 8:53 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

New user
I just wanted to chime in that I'll be taking on my first HIM in 2 weeks. This thread is super helpful!
2014-10-13 2:33 PM

User image

My advice is to swim way more than you think you should in training, bike way easier than you think you should during the race, and have fun.

2014-10-13 3:20 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

A severe storm rolled in and caused the RD to cancel the race during the run. I was 2 miles away from finishing but was pulled from the course and not allowed to continue.

Not to scare you

2014-10-13 3:24 PM

User image

over a barrier
Swam at 29:XX and proceeded to hear 'nice swim' for rest of the day as I was passed like I was standing still on the bike.

Hadn't ridden over 45 miles in training but got through it
2014-10-13 3:34 PM
in reply to: running2far

User image

Veteran
That sounds about right to me as well. Water was bitterly cold and nobody was prepared for it, really. Getting my legs to want to function again (they had begun to shut down due to hypothermia) was both the Best and Worst 10 minutes I've ever spent in transition. I never felt worse at any point in the race than I did exiting the water.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » YOUR first HIM Rss Feed