General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2015-05-25 5:42 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread

Originally posted by ChrisM

BTW, I'll believe it when I see it, and way too soon to be accurate, but accuweather forecasting an 82 degree day

I did a 50 min run in 77 degrees today - that was warm enough.

2015-05-26 8:44 AM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
No booties here.
I've made the swim a couple of times in the past... cold feet were never an issue for me.
2015-05-26 8:54 AM
in reply to: RockTractor

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
I think you all have convinced me to bypass the booties. I've done a few cold swims before (not this cold) and apart from numbness in T1, it's not been a problem.

How about the run to T1? What's your gameplan there?
2015-05-27 10:15 AM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Originally posted by dprocketI think you all have convinced me to bypass the booties. I've done a few cold swims before (not this cold) and apart from numbness in T1, it's not been a problem. How about the run to T1? What's your gameplan there?
I put a small water bottle and a pair of shoes (zoot slip on) for the run in the bag they'll provide. Take off the wetsuit,stuff it in the bag and go
2015-05-27 12:03 PM

Chris,
How hard is it to find your bag for the run to the transition area? I've read a few reviews where people had a hard time finding their bags. I would prefer to run in shoes, but I don't want to spend 10 minutes finding my bag.

Thanks for any advice.
2015-05-28 4:40 PM
in reply to: catincolorado

User image

Originally posted by catincolorado Chris, How hard is it to find your bag for the run to the transition area? I've read a few reviews where people had a hard time finding their bags. I would prefer to run in shoes, but I don't want to spend 10 minutes finding my bag. Thanks for any advice.

I don't recall any issues, other  than being wobbly from coming out of the bay, LOL.   If you've done an ironman with gear bags, it's like that.  If not, they're lined up in rows, volunteers telling you which row to go down, then it's just a matter of finding your bag.  I don't recall it taking more than a few seconds once I was directed to where my number would be.  One idea may be to get some colored tape and wrap it around the drawstring, or some other identifying mark to make it stand out from all the other identical bags.

2015-05-29 9:25 AM

Thanks. I luckily had a number close to the end of the row at CDA so it was pretty easy. As I'm not going to be fighting for a podium spot I think I'll find my bag.

Thanks again.
2015-05-30 5:04 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

BTW, I'll believe it when I see it, and way too soon to be accurate, but accuweather forecasting an 82 degree day

Currently partly sunny, hi of 69,... (almost) perfect

2015-05-31 1:19 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by axteraa

Currently partly sunny, hi of 69,... (almost) perfect

Yeah, I'm liking that forecast a lot!

2015-06-05 6:35 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Picked up my bike this afternoon from Sports Basement and rode the first half of the course.  I didn't appreciate how much fun it  would be to ride with carrying  my 20# tri bag - tends to affect handling and balance a bit.  Its going to be a fun race.  My evaluation so far - flat for the first mile and a half and then you get out of the water.

Going to swim the course tomorrow morning and then off to packet pickup.  I hope everyone has a great race!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by phatknot
Views: 6800 Posts: 37

2013-03-05 1:04 AM jldicarlo

Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Mike_in_SD
Views: 12587 Posts: 63

2012-08-17 9:50 AM Bigrthanur

Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread

Started by brobinson
Views: 4149 Posts: 13

2011-06-08 8:39 AM IMtrikev

Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by zukker
Views: 11456 Posts: 52

2010-05-18 8:23 PM cbteague

Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by jldicarlo
Views: 20904 Posts: 234

2009-06-13 8:53 AM TriDDS
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 14, 2008
author : dr_forbush
comments : 0
In addition to writing your race number on each upper arm, they also wrote your age on your calf. This allowed me to see who was passing me by in the bike section of this race.

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : December 19, 2006
author : Team BT
Alcatraz 2005 provided by crusevegas

date : July 30, 2006
author : drunkpeter
I signed up for a Sprint in July, an Olympic distance in September, and the Alcatraz tri in October. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it all the way.
date : July 4, 2006
Alcatraz 2005: Transition triathlon wallpaper provided by crusevegas.

date : July 4, 2006
comments : 1
Alcatraz 2005: Swim triathlon wallpaper provided by crusevegas.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: