General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2015-04-28 9:16 AM
in reply to: RockTractor

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: RE: Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread
So is anyone doing any Alcatraz specific workouts? Any particular hills training? Suggestions on treadmill workouts?

I know I need to run some stairs, but can't seem to find any on my normal run routes, so I will have to travel to some specific location to run steps. What are people doing in this regard?

2015-04-28 9:23 AM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by dprocket So is anyone doing any Alcatraz specific workouts? Any particular hills training? Suggestions on treadmill workouts? I know I need to run some stairs, but can't seem to find any on my normal run routes, so I will have to travel to some specific location to run steps. What are people doing in this regard?

I've been doing some stairs workouts - nothing during a run, just a 30 minute stairs workout in my building at work (people think I'm nuts).  I've only got 5 floors to work with so I've done days of just steady ascents and days where I do something like 2 floors hard, ez down, 3 floors hard, ez down etc.  It can be pretty boring on my own but I've got a co-worker that's been doing it with me.

Other than that, I've tried to run some routes with a few more hills.  Not a hills workout per se, just a run with more hills.

2015-04-28 12:47 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Just my .02 (caveat that I am slow, and currently not running -hopefully mid/end of this week), there are some stairs on the out portion, but really nothing more than running up a hill.  I am not certain that running actual stairs is any different than running a sufficiently steep hill

As for the sand ladder coming back, well, it's not like running stairs at all.  It's like running a steep sand dune.  So if you can do that.....

Dune

2015-05-01 10:33 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by Hook'em

I am hoping arrive in SF on Thursday with my family flying in on Saturday.  Anyone know of any organized bay swims that might occur on Thursday or Friday?  I plan to get into the water on those days, but a pre-race swim in conditions similar to the race would be ideal.

I know someone that swam with Pedro of water world swims (I think that's the name), that week prior, contact them and see what's scheduled.  Just google swim with pedro alcatraz and I think you''ll find it.

I'm going to sign up for the full Alcatraz swim on the morning of June 6th.  Its not that I am concerned about the swim - I'm totally psyched about the swim.  So much so that I'd like to do it twice.  Now the run.....

Here's the info on the swim, in case anyone else is interested:  https://waterworldswim.com/event-registration/?ee=114

2015-05-01 10:36 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

I'll be picking my bike up from Sports Basement on Friday afternoon.  I'm not sure how conducive the ride course is for a pre-ride, but i'm going to try to ride it or as much as possible.  Anyone else planning on scoping out the ride course early?

2015-05-01 10:38 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I am hoping arrive in SF on Thursday with my family flying in on Saturday.  Anyone know of any organized bay swims that might occur on Thursday or Friday?  I plan to get into the water on those days, but a pre-race swim in conditions similar to the race would be ideal.

I know someone that swam with Pedro of water world swims (I think that's the name), that week prior, contact them and see what's scheduled.  Just google swim with pedro alcatraz and I think you''ll find it.

I'm going to sign up for the full Alcatraz swim on the morning of June 6th.  Its not that I am concerned about the swim - I'm totally psyched about the swim.  So much so that I'd like to do it twice.  Now the run.....

Here's the info on the swim, in case anyone else is interested:  https://waterworldswim.com/event-registration/?ee=114

I've done that swim, pretty cool!  We had perfect conditions the day I did it, no current, no chop, warm water - I felt a bit cheated....

2015-05-01 5:07 PM

User image

I'll be picking my bike up from Sports Basement on Friday afternoon.  I'm not sure how conducive the ride course is for a pre-ride, but i'm going to try to ride it or as much as possible.  Anyone else planning on scoping out the ride course early?

I am not that familiar with the whole course but have only done it once during the race.  I did ride the flat first section and the first short climb and then the traffic got pretty crazy.  IMO, there's way too much traffic to pre-ride it.  I think you'd benefit from a pre-drive if you have access to a car.

2015-05-04 1:43 PM

User image

I'm a little iffy on the race at the moment.   Dealing with a persistent calf issue that is not responding well to my over-achieving efforts to get back on the road.  Swim and bike are fine, so I guess worst comes to worst I run /walk...  or walk.  It's only 8 miles.....  

2015-05-04 3:08 PM

User image

I'm a little iffy on the race at the moment.   Dealing with a persistent calf issue that is not responding well to my over-achieving efforts to get back on the road.  Swim and bike are fine, so I guess worst comes to worst I run /walk...  or walk.  It's only 8 miles.....  

I think you can get a medical deferral with a doctor's note, if you don't want to run/walk.  Otherwise, I would focus on crushing the swim and bike.  

2015-05-04 3:11 PM

User image

I am not that familiar with the whole course but have only done it once during the race.  I did ride the flat first section and the first short climb and then the traffic got pretty crazy.  IMO, there's way too much traffic to pre-ride it.  I think you'd benefit from a pre-drive if you have access to a car.

I watched a DC Rainmaker race report with a video for the bike portion.  Most of it seemed to have some sort of shoulder or bike lane.  I'll check out the map and try find alternative routes to avoid the heavily traveled portions.  Otherwise, I might have to pre-ride the course with Uber.

2015-05-04 3:31 PM

User image

I watched a DC Rainmaker race report with a video for the bike portion.  Most of it seemed to have some sort of shoulder or bike lane.  I'll check out the map and try find alternative routes to avoid the heavily traveled portions.  Otherwise, I might have to pre-ride the course with Uber.

Yeah, I saw that video too, I just recalling making the first climb, turning right, getting to some crazy intersection and realizing it was totally not worth it given the traffic I was looking at.   Just my feeling at the time.  I am not a huge fan of pre-riding courses, for various reasons including not having "local knowledge" of what roads to ride, but primarily seeing a very bad scene in NOLA last year.

2015-05-04 3:32 PM

User image

I think you can get a medical deferral with a doctor's note, if you don't want to run/walk.  Otherwise, I would focus on crushing the swim and bike.  

Thanks, it's really just a calf strain that will affect preparation.  Not a "real" medical condition that would prevent one from actually participating

2015-05-04 5:04 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Thanks, it's really just a calf strain that will affect preparation.  Not a "real" medical condition that would prevent one from actually participating

My knee has been cranky all weekend.  We could race to T2 and then have a beer.  

2015-05-04 6:08 PM

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

My knee has been cranky all weekend.  We could race to T2 and then have a beer.  

Boudin's bread and a beer!   tempting..... 

2015-05-07 12:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
I'm looking for a little help. I've got a "hills" bike route that I do from home. It's about 800' of climbing over 8 miles. Of course, 800' of climbing can look alot of different ways, depending on the size and frequency of those climbs. What I'm trying to do is figure out a way to determine if I need to tweak my hills routes. I'm not trying to replicate EFA, but it'd be nice (for self confidence) to know that I'm preparing accordingly.

One thing that I've learned over the years is that each site tends to measure elevation profiles differently. I just started using a Garmin Fenix 3 and so I'm not super familiar with Garmin Connect courses/segments etc. I've found the EFA course on Garmin Connect, but can't seem to figure out how to tell the length and grade of each of those major climbs.

Has anyone done this? Does what I'm looking for make sense?
2015-05-07 3:02 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
MapMyRide does it...

I took this Garmin Activity (https://connect.garmin.com/activity/513497884) and imported it into MapMyRide....

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/704331385/

Select 'Elevation' at the bottom and then click 'show elevation with grades'

2015-05-08 10:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Here is another mapmyride of the Escape bike course.  Its not mine, but it is consistent with the one above - although it shows the information a little differently:

http://www.mapmyride.com/us/san-francisco-ca/escape-from-alcatraz-bike-18-27-miles-route-90428737 

Edited by Hook'em 2015-05-08 10:49 AM
2015-05-08 12:52 PM

User image

Originally posted by dprocket I'm looking for a little help. I've got a "hills" bike route that I do from home. It's about 800' of climbing over 8 miles. Of course, 800' of climbing can look alot of different ways, depending on the size and frequency of those climbs. What I'm trying to do is figure out a way to determine if I need to tweak my hills routes. I'm not trying to replicate EFA, but it'd be nice (for self confidence) to know that I'm preparing accordingly. One thing that I've learned over the years is that each site tends to measure elevation profiles differently. I just started using a Garmin Fenix 3 and so I'm not super familiar with Garmin Connect courses/segments etc. I've found the EFA course on Garmin Connect, but can't seem to figure out how to tell the length and grade of each of those major climbs. Has anyone done this? Does what I'm looking for make sense?

From my recollection the climbs are short and steep.  Climbing an 800 foot climb with 3% ave grade will help get in climbing shape, but isn't really  specific to this course.  I am usually glad at some point to have a compact, I was very glad here, especially the last two climbs, which seemed steeper than the first two, probably because of the fatigue.  I can tell you that the climb at mile 11 to me was the hardest mentally, you can see it from a distance, and there's a false summit.  You get to the top of the first part, do a little left right dogleg and it gets steeper.  the little rise in the middle is inside GG Park, more of a false flat/shallow climb.

I'd concentrate on steep, 2-5 minute efforts

2015-05-25 10:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Who's using swim booties? Or rather...who is NOT using them?

2015-05-25 10:47 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by dprocket Who's using swim booties? Or rather...who is NOT using them?

Undecided.  The ocean is always pretty cold here so I'm used to it but it's possible I'm underestimating what it will be like...

2015-05-25 10:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
So, I have a pair of booties from my old scuba diving days. They are neoprene with a thick rubberized sole (for walking on rocky ocean floor). I have never swam in them (apart from scuba). I know the difference between a scuba wetsuit and a triathlon suit. Any thoughts on these scuba booties versus somelike a blueseventy sock? I hope to try them out on a few swims this week, but I don't have a cold-ocean to test them in. I may try to post a picture later today...

2015-05-25 12:17 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I've never seen or used the blueseventy (or any other) swim booty/sock so I can't compare but I can't imagine swimming in a scuba booty.  The ones I used to have didn't seem like they would flex well around the ankle.  Although I suppose they worked fine with fins on so maybe they would be ok.  Have I mentioned I'm undecided?  

2015-05-25 12:49 PM

User image

Originally posted by dprocket Who's using swim booties? Or rather...who is NOT using them?

Not. 

And don't use a scuba or surf booty, whatever you do.  I have a few pairs of those, they are for diving, not swimming,  You won't have the flexibility you need to point your toes.  If anything get ones made for swimming, although it's really not that bad.  Yes, your feet will get cold, but so what.  They may be a bit numb on exit, they'll warm up nicely on the T1 run.   You don't lose heat through your feet, the area that will help the most is covering the head.   I have a neoprene cap, and will bring it up, but unlikely to wear it as I usually just go with two caps (one latex).

2015-05-25 1:51 PM

User image

BTW, I'll believe it when I see it, and way too soon to be accurate, but accuweather forecasting an 82 degree day

2015-05-25 3:28 PM

User image

I have a pair of Blueseventy swim socks.  I'm swimming from the island the day before the race and will try them out then.  They have some grip on the soles, so I'm going to see if they would work for running to T1.  

I just cleaned the bike and lubed the chain and gears.  I have to drop the bike off on Friday for transport along with my tri bag, so I get pack everything up a week early.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by phatknot
Views: 6822 Posts: 37

2013-03-05 1:04 AM jldicarlo

Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Mike_in_SD
Views: 12611 Posts: 63

2012-08-17 9:50 AM Bigrthanur

Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread

Started by brobinson
Views: 4156 Posts: 13

2011-06-08 8:39 AM IMtrikev

Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by zukker
Views: 11468 Posts: 52

2010-05-18 8:23 PM cbteague

Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by jldicarlo
Views: 20948 Posts: 234

2009-06-13 8:53 AM TriDDS
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 14, 2008
author : dr_forbush
comments : 0
In addition to writing your race number on each upper arm, they also wrote your age on your calf. This allowed me to see who was passing me by in the bike section of this race.

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : December 19, 2006
author : Team BT
Alcatraz 2005 provided by crusevegas

date : July 30, 2006
author : drunkpeter
I signed up for a Sprint in July, an Olympic distance in September, and the Alcatraz tri in October. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it all the way.
date : July 4, 2006
Alcatraz 2005: Transition triathlon wallpaper provided by crusevegas.

date : July 4, 2006
comments : 1
Alcatraz 2005: Swim triathlon wallpaper provided by crusevegas.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: