General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-10-12 7:56 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread
Who's in?

2014-10-12 3:15 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Subject: RE: Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread

Not me.... yet  

2014-11-03 1:47 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Now I am

2014-11-05 8:41 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
2014-11-05 1:32 PM
in reply to: RockTractor

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
2014-11-12 7:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Henderson,NV
WoooHooo, I'm in, I got in through a charity spot with CAF
Now I have to find a place to stay that won't break the bank

2014-12-03 11:18 AM
in reply to: kenb

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
2014-12-04 1:19 AM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Veteran
Henderson,NV
Congrats!!

2014-12-04 3:23 AM
in reply to: kenb

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

On a cold windy day last week I did a stairs workout in preparation for the sand ladder.   It beat up my calves so bad I was walking funny for 3 days!

2014-12-07 8:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Henderson,NV
The swim gets all the attention , but I hear the sand ladder is the real challenge
2014-12-19 3:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by kenb The swim gets all the attention , but I hear the sand ladder is the real challenge

Sand ladder is a challenge but not the worst of it, IMO.  Each leg has its own particular challenges - Swim can start out fine but get pretty choppy once you get out of the lee, bike has a a couple fairly steep climbs.  But yeah, the sand ladder is f'ing hard though, and made worse as you've just run nearly a mile (or so.. ) in soft ish sand.....Hard to believe the FOP guys and girls can run up it that fast.  Thing is the SL is relatively near the end, there's only a little climb after it and then all downhill flat from there.

Edited by ChrisM 2014-12-19 3:57 PM

2015-01-26 2:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
So I ride a Shiv tri bike. I'm trying to nail down logistics and this thing is difficult to fly with.

I also own a beater bike: an older Redline Conquest CX bike with a triple. I'm considering putting smooth tires on the Redline and taking it out to SF for Alcatraz. What would you do?

Obviously, it's not my ideal race setup, but this is not ordinary "race". I don't have a particular goal time (yet) and I know the course is not ideal for a TT bike anyhow.

It's a little hard to talk myself into taking my $500 bike for this big race, instead of the $4K bike....the Redline can fit in any travel case, and taking it apart it not too big a deal.

What would you do?
2015-01-26 3:40 PM

User image

Good question....   Lots of people do ride tri bikes and there are a few sections where being in aero is possible (and preferable), first couple miles, up in GG park.  But it's so narrow and crowded at times I would have been on the bullhorns.  I brought up my road bike but it's a good one.

How heavy is the CX bike?  The hills are pretty steep and lots of 'em.  In your case I'd be tempted to bring the tri bike mostly for the weight.......

You could also rent a road bike from Sports Basement, basically at the race site.

2015-01-26 4:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
I need to weigh it. Because, I really don't know. I use it mainly to drag my kids around in a trailer.

I've thought about renting from Sports Basement. They are updating their fleet and I'm on "the list" but I've not heard anything yet.
2015-01-26 4:42 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

If your CX bike is anything like mine I'd be taking the Shiv.  That said, I'm taking my roadie (with clipon aerobars) rather than the P3.    My wife and I will be staying in the area for 5 days after the race and she will have her bike too so I'd rather have that bike for touring around.

2015-01-26 6:12 PM

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

If your CX bike is anything like mine I'd be taking the Shiv.  That said, I'm taking my roadie (with clipon aerobars) rather than the P3.    My wife and I will be staying in the area for 5 days after the race and she will have her bike too so I'd rather have that bike for touring around.

Just a word of warning if you do this....  We rented bikes and rode over the bridge to Sausalito for lunch, took the ferry back (highly recommended).  Thought about riding the Foil after picking it up from TBT and VERY glad I didn't.   I asked on ST whether bikes treated OK on the ferry, someone said "much nicer bikes than yours have been on it, don't worry."   Man, the bikes (about 200 of them) were basically all leaned onto eachother on the bottom deck of the ferry, turned into a big pile of bikes by the time we got back to SF.  I would have been quite stressed if my bike was in the middle of all of that.....

2015-01-27 2:57 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by axteraa

Just a word of warning if you do this....  We rented bikes and rode over the bridge to Sausalito for lunch, took the ferry back (highly recommended).  Thought about riding the Foil after picking it up from TBT and VERY glad I didn't.   I asked on ST whether bikes treated OK on the ferry, someone said "much nicer bikes than yours have been on it, don't worry."   Man, the bikes (about 200 of them) were basically all leaned onto eachother on the bottom deck of the ferry, turned into a big pile of bikes by the time we got back to SF.  I would have been quite stressed if my bike was in the middle of all of that.....

Ha, I know all about that!  Last time we did the same, across the bridge and we were riding in Sausalito when Tab got 3 flats.  This was early afternoon and we had a flight at about 10pm.  Fortunately we were only about a mile from the ferry so we walked there, took the ferry (mass pile of bikes and all) and walked to our hotel from there.  Scrambled to tear down the bikes and pack them up and get to the airport on time.  Good times!    

2015-02-08 10:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
for those who have done Alcatraz....what is the best approach to structure a training plan for it? A normal 70.3 or Olympic plan (such as the plans available on this site) don't seem quite right and it also seems a bit misguided to just simply adjust the distances (considering the relatively short but very hilly bike course).

Just looking for ideas. I'm not too concerned about the swim (mainly because I'm in KS and I have no OWS options for training before May and even then nothing that is comparable to SF waters)....I'm pretty comfortable in OWS.

2015-02-08 2:56 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I haven't done the race yet but based on the time splits for each leg, I would think an Olympic plan modified for a longer run would be about right.  Especially if you are already comfortable in open water.  If you were a weak swimmer, it might be a bit different.

2015-02-09 12:31 PM

User image

Originally posted by dprocket for those who have done Alcatraz....what is the best approach to structure a training plan for it? A normal 70.3 or Olympic plan (such as the plans available on this site) don't seem quite right and it also seems a bit misguided to just simply adjust the distances (considering the relatively short but very hilly bike course). Just looking for ideas. I'm not too concerned about the swim (mainly because I'm in KS and I have no OWS options for training before May and even then nothing that is comparable to SF waters)....I'm pretty comfortable in OWS.

IMO only, Oly-type short hard efforts with some endurance thrown in.   And hills.  You don't need a 70.3 3 hour bike plan, or 2 hour run plan.  

Re the swim, I am very comfortable in OW.  I've done the Alcatraz swim 3 times now, and every time I've gotten a little surprised at how tough it can be.  You will start off in the lee of the island, and will think to yourself, "this isn't so bad."  Then you get into the channel ,and it will get a lot rougher.  Surprisingly rough, IMO.  And it took me a second or two to stop and collect myself, and then carry on.  Just a little advice not to take the swim too lightly (i know you're not, but it's a special swim).  I was glad that I had taken the opportunity to get in a couple late afternoon swim in rough, windy conditions.

Edited by ChrisM 2015-02-09 12:32 PM
2015-02-09 1:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by ChrisM

IMO only, Oly-type short hard efforts with some endurance thrown in.   And hills.  You don't need a 70.3 3 hour bike plan, or 2 hour run plan.  

Re the swim, I am very comfortable in OW.  I've done the Alcatraz swim 3 times now, and every time I've gotten a little surprised at how tough it can be.  You will start off in the lee of the island, and will think to yourself, "this isn't so bad."  Then you get into the channel ,and it will get a lot rougher.  Surprisingly rough, IMO.  And it took me a second or two to stop and collect myself, and then carry on.  Just a little advice not to take the swim too lightly (i know you're not, but it's a special swim).  I was glad that I had taken the opportunity to get in a couple late afternoon swim in rough, windy conditions.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding the swim....I'm definitely not taking it lightly. However, I'm also not sure that there is really anything I can do to prepare for it's unique challenge, other than increase my volume. (compared to the bike....I can do hill repeats....the run....I can run in a sand pit and do hill repeats) I'm approaching it as a special challenge that i will focus on experiencing and remaining calm. I *know* I can swim the distance and increasing my swim volume will add to that confidence some, however...it's not like I have the ability to really prepare for any other part of it than swim in a cold lake. So, from that standpoint...I'm definitely not taking it lightly, but I'm also determined not to freak out about it either. Unless....of course...there are other ideas of what I can do to prepare haha.

2015-02-09 2:23 PM

User image

Yeah, if there's no way to train in rough water for it, good that you are comfortable, and just knowing that it will likely be smooth to start, then a bit rougher, then smooth out again, removes any surprises.  Then again, it might be super smooth all the way.  Nothing really to freak out about.  It's incredibly well supported with lots of boats etc.

The other particular challenges that I have experienced are

-siting - they will give tips how/where to site, as the landmarks will change as you get closer to the exit.  But it's a pretty standard progression.  There's a video from last year I think showing the pros jumping off and bee lining it for the exit.  Then the AGers go off and they all start swimming towards shore but moving sideways towards the exit.  Swim across the river, as they say.

-Crowd - one thing that has always struck me is how far people spread out, and after jumping off a boat with 2000 people, all going the same place, you'll find yourself "feeling" like you're all alone out there, when in reality there's a huge line of folks to your left and right, and behind and ahead, that you just can't see well.  For me, that doesn't make me freak out as much as get angry that I've clearly taken the wrong line!  This last time I saw a bunch of folks to my right, so felt like I had to get out there and join them, only to feel like I had to swim a straight  line into shore and that I'd overshot it.  The garmin pretty much tells a different story though.

-They say it, and not everyone does it because it's a race, but stopping to look around mid swim is very cool.

-Cold - I can pretty honestly say that I've ever really felt all that cold in any of the swims I've done.  I have a neoprene hood but have never worn it.  I do wear two caps, one latex and one rubber, that seems to help

Edited by ChrisM 2015-02-09 2:24 PM
2015-03-17 10:12 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

I am hoping arrive in SF on Thursday with my family flying in on Saturday.  Anyone know of any organized bay swims that might occur on Thursday or Friday?  I plan to get into the water on those days, but a pre-race swim in conditions similar to the race would be ideal.

2015-03-17 12:22 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Originally posted by Hook'em

I am hoping arrive in SF on Thursday with my family flying in on Saturday.  Anyone know of any organized bay swims that might occur on Thursday or Friday?  I plan to get into the water on those days, but a pre-race swim in conditions similar to the race would be ideal.

I know someone that swam with Pedro of water world swims (I think that's the name), that week prior, contact them and see what's scheduled.  Just google swim with pedro alcatraz and I think you''ll find it.

2015-03-18 4:48 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Originally posted by Hook'em

If nothing else, you can go to the San Francisco Maritime Park - there's usually people swimming there in the little cove.
https://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/11157003
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by phatknot
Views: 6799 Posts: 37

2013-03-05 1:04 AM jldicarlo

Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Mike_in_SD
Views: 12587 Posts: 63

2012-08-17 9:50 AM Bigrthanur

Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread

Started by brobinson
Views: 4148 Posts: 13

2011-06-08 8:39 AM IMtrikev

Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by zukker
Views: 11456 Posts: 52

2010-05-18 8:23 PM cbteague

Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by jldicarlo
Views: 20903 Posts: 234

2009-06-13 8:53 AM TriDDS
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 14, 2008
author : dr_forbush
comments : 0
In addition to writing your race number on each upper arm, they also wrote your age on your calf. This allowed me to see who was passing me by in the bike section of this race.

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : December 19, 2006
author : Team BT
Alcatraz 2005 provided by crusevegas

date : July 30, 2006
author : drunkpeter
I signed up for a Sprint in July, an Olympic distance in September, and the Alcatraz tri in October. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it all the way.
date : July 4, 2006
Alcatraz 2005: Transition triathlon wallpaper provided by crusevegas.

date : July 4, 2006
comments : 1
Alcatraz 2005: Swim triathlon wallpaper provided by crusevegas.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: