General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rocketman Tri Review Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-12 1:26 PM

User image

Subject: Rocketman Tri Review
Did the Classic+ today. Originally signed up for the HIM but ended up not being able to get the training in so I dropped down. I'm very glad I didn't make this my first HIM.

Here are the highlights from today:

TA closed an hour and a half before the sprint distance started. Originally they claimed they were going to have separate TAs for the HIM and the rest but they didn't. Absolutely ridiculous to be stuck standing around in nothing but tri shorts and a swim cap for that long with no access to my stuff. At least it wasn't cold. The TA was in grass/sugar sand. Like 3" deep.

Entry/exit to the water was set up in ankle breaking fashion. Sandbags in the water at the bottom of the stairs. The stairs themselves were nice, problem is that it was single file from water exit all the way back to the TA.

Water was barely waist deep for the entire swim. Heck, the first/last 50 yds was thigh deep so no one was swimming because it was too shallow so it was just a bunch of people walking through thigh deep water to the exit. It was bizarre and comical to see. The water was so shallow that most of the participants actually WALKED around the buoys at the turns. I swam because it was faster than walking but most didn't. It was that shallow.

Bike was 30 miles, which they were up front about. It was fine for the most part but there was no support whatsoever after the first 5 miles or so because of restrictions at KSC. The roads were pretty bad in a lot of places but that's not really the RD's fault.

The run was weirdly laid out and was unnecessarily long. It was nearly 4 mi and included a section through a museum that was just not needed. There was really no reason for the extended run distance on the sprint.

Finally it's 1430 the day of the race and the results STILL are not posted. I have no idea where I placed in my age group, what any of my official splits were nor how any of my friends did. There's just no excuse for this in this day and age. Most of the smallest tri's have the results posted online before I even get to my car after the race. It's really aggravating.

This race was a fiasco last year and I was hesitant to register this year because of that. I've met the RD and he seems like a good guy. I think he means well, but this race just doesn't work. The idea of racing around KSC is better than the reality. The roads are awful up there, there is no good location for the swim, the absolutely asinine requirement that all participants purchase a full price admission to KSC is insane. I know he struggles to get volunteers for these races, from what I've heard some folks have had bad experiences with him. It was mostly young kids doing all the volunteering, which is fine and I appreciate their time and help, but this race just doesn't work and I won't be signing up again next year.

Edited by aliddle9876 2014-10-12 1:29 PM

2014-10-13 10:45 AM
in reply to: aliddle9876

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: Rocketman Tri Review

Glad I didn't do it and IMHO 30 miles for a "classic" is stupid.  I volunteered for one of his early events, not a single thank you after.  I won't do any of the his tri races, I'd rather travel out to Clermont and do SommerSports long distance events. 

2014-10-13 3:30 PM
in reply to: aliddle9876

User image

Oviedo, Florida
I did the 1/2 and if this race is offered next year - no thanks. Way too expensive.

If I had never been to the space center before, then maybe this would have been kind of cool. But I used to work out there so they only thing I got out of it was a wicked sunburn. And the roads leading to the North gate.. God.. my teeth (and other parts of my anatomy) are still jarring.

I really took it easy on the bike hoping to just kill the run. Instead, the run killed me. I ended up just doing a walk/run with a couple other guys - because misery loves company.

Really depressing because my training had just gone so well. But.. you never know what's gonna happen on race day. Some days you've got and other days it gets you. Yesterday it spanked me.

Of course, that has nothing to do with the R.D. or anything like that. However, I did think it was crazy to close transition for the Classic guys at the start of the 1/2. That was just nuts.

--
Dave
2014-10-13 8:35 PM
in reply to: #5059155

I guess I had a more positive experience or my expectations were different. I did the classic distance. I assumed it was a 30 mile bike because the event location was considered unique and they want people to see areas around KSC that are not normally accessible. Same for the run with the run past the Warbird museum. I liked that part even if I suffered a little during the run. The bike was fine for the most part for me. There were some slightly rougher areas of road but I did not think it was horrible. I thought the bike and run course we're well marked. My main complaint was no cold water on the run at the aid stations. It was luke warm water on a warm day. It was slightly annoying closing transition that early but I always get to races early and end up waiting around anyway so I didn't find that all that bad. The swim as definitely odd. Not sure what they did last year but lots of people walked a lot. I swam most of the way because I didn't want to expend leg energy walking in water. Overall, I liked it. The location was what attracted me to the event so a few minor annoyances were not going to detract from my enjoyment.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rocketman Tri Review Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rocketman - best place for Saturday dinner?

Started by annabananamc
Views: 1071 Posts: 7

2014-10-11 7:22 AM annabananamc

Rocketman Triathlon - tires question

Started by davetib
Views: 897 Posts: 6

2014-10-09 4:04 PM aliddle9876

Rocketman Tri postponed until October

Started by vertseven
Views: 1055 Posts: 3

2013-11-01 8:23 AM Donto

Bike fitter reviews NE Florida

Started by rjrankin83
Views: 1393 Posts: 4

2013-05-31 10:58 AM 1Dude

Rocketman?

Started by Oysterboy
Views: 726 Posts: 2

2012-12-09 9:23 AM rkerperien
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 17, 2013
author : GaryRM
comments : 5
A mini-review of Profile Design's Tri Stryke saddle.

date : July 30, 2013
author : hoffsquared
comments : 7
After three triathlon seasons, I finally decided that I wanted to actually see well during the swim portion. My vision is not so great. I had to find better goggles.
date : November 12, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
In this review, we put the Garmin Forerunner 405 and the Suunto T6C heart-rate and GPS watches through the wringers.

date : November 17, 2008
author : Ontherun
In part 3 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the Neo Sport Sprint fullsuit for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.
date : August 6, 2008
author : Coach AJ
We review both the Sci'Con Atlas and the Aerotech Evolution bike cases for traveling with your bike.

date : February 18, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 7
Looking for a liquid hydration system for your runs? We review the unique Amphipod RunLite 4 belt hydration system. Other than a few small issues, it has performed well.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : October 1, 2006
author : Ron
comments : 2
Triathletes are not invincible. Some of us like to think we are, but that is just not true. Anything can happen to us in open water. So why not make sure you are prepared for an emergency?