General Discussion Triathlon Talk » USAT Level 1 class Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-13 12:06 AM

User image

Subject: USAT Level 1 class
Has anyone taken a USAT coaching class before? I was just telling the guy who coached/got me through my first tri 2 years ago (I couldn't swim to other side of the pool!) that I wanted to move south and that I wanted to take a vacation during the winter to check it out. Random link clicking got me to a USAT Level 1 certification schedule tonight...and one class is in Texas (one place I thought about moving to). It's $555 so I question if it's worth it. If I learn a lot of stuff about training, I think it would be worth it. The main thing for me would be to scope Dallas/Austin out and decide if I want to move there but learning something interesting while I'm there could be a bonus. Any thoughts? Worth the cost, knowing this would mainly be a "vacation" for me?

2014-10-13 5:44 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: USAT Level 1 class
Are you currently or do you plan on coaching? Unless USAT has changed back, there is an application process for the course and unless you are currently coaching, you are unlikely to earn a spot.

For quite a while USAT ran the course for anyone who was interested, however they found that few of their "coaches" were actually coaching as they simply took the course in order to self coach. While good for their coffers, from a sport development standpoint this is less than ideal so they've taken steps to try to ensure that those taking the course are actually going to coach.

Having said that, although I've not taken a USAT course, I've taken the equivalent TriCanada ones and there's some good info, some ok info and some stuff that isn't very valuable. However, the chance to talk and network with other coaches is very valuable and this course is, IMO, a good entry point for coach development.

Shane
2014-10-13 9:12 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by gsmacleod Are you currently or do you plan on coaching? Unless USAT has changed back, there is an application process for the course and unless you are currently coaching, you are unlikely to earn a spot. For quite a while USAT ran the course for anyone who was interested, however they found that few of their "coaches" were actually coaching as they simply took the course in order to self coach. While good for their coffers, from a sport development standpoint this is less than ideal so they've taken steps to try to ensure that those taking the course are actually going to coach. Having said that, although I've not taken a USAT course, I've taken the equivalent TriCanada ones and there's some good info, some ok info and some stuff that isn't very valuable. However, the chance to talk and network with other coaches is very valuable and this course is, IMO, a good entry point for coach development. Shane

x2.  My understanding is that USAT is still reviewing applications for the level 1 clinic in an effort to ensure that all participants actually want to coach.  This may make it challenging to get accepted into a session.

I found the information and experience to be very good.  The opportunity to network with other coaches and pick the brains of some of the top coaches in the sport can be very valuable.  For example, Bobby McGee, Shelly O'Brien, and Bob Seebohar (all level 3 coaches) were 3 of the presenters when I took the clinic.

2014-10-13 9:21 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by gsmacleod Are you currently or do you plan on coaching? Unless USAT has changed back, there is an application process for the course and unless you are currently coaching, you are unlikely to earn a spot. For quite a while USAT ran the course for anyone who was interested, however they found that few of their "coaches" were actually coaching as they simply took the course in order to self coach. While good for their coffers, from a sport development standpoint this is less than ideal so they've taken steps to try to ensure that those taking the course are actually going to coach. Having said that, although I've not taken a USAT course, I've taken the equivalent TriCanada ones and there's some good info, some ok info and some stuff that isn't very valuable. However, the chance to talk and network with other coaches is very valuable and this course is, IMO, a good entry point for coach development. Shane

x2.  My understanding is that USAT is still reviewing applications for the level 1 clinic in an effort to ensure that all participants actually want to coach.  This may make it challenging to get accepted into a session.

I found the information and experience to be very good.  The opportunity to network with other coaches and pick the brains of some of the top coaches in the sport can be very valuable.  For example, Bobby McGee, Shelly O'Brien, and Bob Seebohar (all level 3 coaches) were 3 of the presenters when I took the clinic.

I just took it last month ( I am finishing up a blog on my experience and will post it here when done). Better then I expected but you must go in knowing that its a beginner level clinic for BEGINNER coaches. That means you will not have any advanced theories, information etc. I think people really put down the level 1 clinic for this.

But it was very refreshing to see USAT no longer promoting the 3:1 weeks on off ratio, etc.

Presenters were:
Jesse Kropelnicki (QT2 Systems)
Ian Murray
Shelly O'Brien

Most people were interested in coaching, or coaching for their club. Some had experience, others not.

Shane, 3 coaches came from Canada because they like the US model more the the Canada model for coaching cert which I found interesting.

EDIT: I put this clinic off for 4 years and only took it as I want to work with juniors and elites. So this was more of a necessity then anything. I think putting it off for so long served me well as I was able to look at everything and think critically instead of just "drinking the kool-aid" as so many do at these clinics.

Edited by bcagle25 2014-10-13 9:23 AM
2014-10-13 9:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

To echo some of what Shane and others mentioned...

The USAT Level 1 cert used to be a joke.  It was pretty much anyone with a heartbeat could get in a class which led to a glut of really terrible coaches and useless folks with the USAT Level 1 cert.  They finally changed the process and the pendulum swung in the other direction.  Getting into a Level 1 class is actually pretty difficult now.  The coaching experience hurdle is rather high to jump over if you're not currently coaching.

2014-10-13 9:38 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Champion
MA

I took the class in 2012 and found class disappointing. Some old school training methods that many feel are outdated and not scientifically proven were talked about as fact.  I had been a triathlete for 8 years and been coached for 7 of them. I didn't learn much and disagreed with some/much of what some of the presenters shared. Overall I found it a money making adventure for USAT and many of their affiliated coaches. Overall not much practical information. I do know one thing that bothered me is they kept pushing that we had the knowledge and should feel comfortable going out and charging athletes full normal coaching prices despite some having little or minimal experience.Two days of training does not make anyone a coach.

Glad to hear things have improved since I took the class.

2014-10-13 11:28 AM

naperville, Illinois
Originally posted by KathyG

.Two days of training does not make anyone a coach.

this made me laugh. it is sooo true, but doesn't mean people don't try.

Edited by Raansnel 2014-10-13 11:28 AM
2014-10-13 7:56 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Everyone has to start somewhere and for some coaches, this is the start. For others they have quite a bit of experience. USAT is the national governing body for coaching so if you want to get involved with coaching and developing junior athletes for ITU racing, or go on to take some of hte more advacned coaching clinics, network with the presenters and your fellow coaches and use it as an opportunity for personal development, it's a no brainer.

if you just want to take it to learn more and be a better self-coach, then it's probably not worth it.

I took it about 8 years ago and I'm glad I did because I met a lot of great people I still keep in touch with and have continued involvement with their clinics including taking the Level 2 which was awesome, doing the Elite Coach Mentoring program, which was beyond awesome (just myself and 1 other coach at the USOC with the olympic team coaches and facilities learning and asking anything I wanted) and recently being asked to present at Art & Science and writing a chapter in the Complete Triathlon Guide. None of that would have happened without taking the first step.

So don't think of the cost as a one time expense, think of it as one investment in the path you want to take as a potential coach.

Besides, the $555 + travel expenses shoud easily be made up in your first 6=12 months as a coach and down the line, it's a fraction of a month's earnings as a coach.

In addition to all of that, they have improved their screening process and have a broader diversity of input.

You still always have to read and learn on your own but don't be "afraid" to take this based on what you've heard of the content...be eager to take it if you have any aspirations such as the ones I shared above...teaching, networking, coaching at junior camps, et.c
2014-10-13 8:51 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

I do have some desire to coach. A guy in a local tri clubs approached me and asked me to be a coach with him. It felt weird since to me. It seems like I should have some sort of qualifications (i.e., USAT Level # certification) before I coach but it sounds like it's the other way around. I don't think I'd be a horrible coach but I know there's lot of learn. I know way more than I did when I first started (even made my own plans this year) but I would like to learn more proven techniques. I hear people talk about 3 weeks tapers, 5 day tapers and everything in between and I would love to find out more scientific research behind those things before I tell people this is what you should do...period.

I think I may try to sign up and just see what happens. Odd thing is that I'd be scoping out the area to maybe move and the guy wants me to start coaching soonish.
2014-10-14 7:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by BlastmanIt seems like I should have some sort of qualifications (i.e., USAT Level # certification) before I coach but it sounds like it's the other way around.

Many (if not most) of the more well known, well respected, and successful tri coaches are not certified.  A certification is not a prerequisite.

Originally posted by Blastman I hear people talk about 3 weeks tapers, 5 day tapers and everything in between and I would love to find out more scientific research behind those things before I tell people this is what you should do...period.  

You won't learn that at the Level 1 clinic.

2014-10-14 9:01 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by BlastmanIt seems like I should have some sort of qualifications (i.e., USAT Level # certification) before I coach but it sounds like it's the other way around.

Many (if not most) of the more well known, well respected, and successful tri coaches are not certified.  A certification is not a prerequisite.

Originally posted by Blastman I hear people talk about 3 weeks tapers, 5 day tapers and everything in between and I would love to find out more scientific research behind those things before I tell people this is what you should do...period.  

You won't learn that at the Level 1 clinic.

Certifications dont teach the ability to think critically or the process of application into an effective practice and that is where coaching happens. I.e. Coaching is not just writing programs.

You don't need to go to these clinics for the knowledge, read pubmed, read some of the top coaches blogs (if you want to coach higher athletes), email others with questions (you will be surprised by how many will be willing to help), read books and not just matt fitzgeralds books. etc.

FWIW I have been mentoring and email many of the top coaches when I am curious on a topic or want another view. Many are not certified but yet produce Kona qualifiers, olympic medalists, etc. All of these conversations were far more beneficial for me then the 17 hours I had at the clinic.

The level 1 clinic reminds me of a quote and I think a handful attend think they know "everything" once they complete it.

"The movement you think you know everything, you begin to fail"

Edited by bcagle25 2014-10-14 9:02 AM

2014-10-15 3:19 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by Blastman

I do have some desire to coach. A guy in a local tri clubs approached me and asked me to be a coach with him. It felt weird since to me. It seems like I should have some sort of qualifications (i.e., USAT Level # certification) before I coach but it sounds like it's the other way around. I don't think I'd be a horrible coach but I know there's lot of learn. I know way more than I did when I first started (even made my own plans this year) but I would like to learn more proven techniques. I hear people talk about 3 weeks tapers, 5 day tapers and everything in between and I would love to find out more scientific research behind those things before I tell people this is what you should do...period.

I think I may try to sign up and just see what happens. Odd thing is that I'd be scoping out the area to maybe move and the guy wants me to start coaching soonish.

if completing the course gives you some confidence to begin creating plans, then that's a good benefit for you. Others have been writing plans and want to take the course to flesh out knowledge. you won't learn everything you need or want to know in one weekend. The best coaches & athletes are always studying, always learning. No one can convey a lifetime of experience and learning into a weekend class no matter what kind of awesome teacher they are.

Coaching is so much more than writing plans as well. Psychology, planning, dealing with different athlete personalities, learning how to unocver their motivation and how to get the best out of the athlete goes beyond training plans. In fact a good coach can easily take an off the shelf plan and hand it to someone and still get much better results than if that person followed the identical plans without additional coaching. Helping people with skills, techniques, learning hwo to use heart rate and/or power...lots and lots and lots of stuff!!

Get started somewhere, anywhere is fine. There is always something to learn and the best case scenario is that looking up one topic will generate questoins on 5 more topics. You'll always have things to pick up and improve upon.

Edited by AdventureBear 2014-10-15 3:21 AM
2014-10-15 9:21 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by AdventureBear

Originally posted by Blastman

Get started somewhere, anywhere is fine. There is always something to learn and the best case scenario is that looking up one topic will generate questoins on 5 more topics. You'll always have things to pick up and improve upon.

I can't emphasize this part enough. Everyone has to start somewhere so find someone to work with, be honest that you are starting out and the chips will fall into place. Your success as a coach and the athletes success as well, will be dictated by how much you invest in coaching.

2014-10-15 12:29 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Really, really good feedback thus far with regard to USAT certification. Being new to the process (and having only just received my level I certificate in the mail last week) I thought I would offer my point of view. I have been multisport and endurance racing consistently and fairly competively for over 25 years, but have no (ZERO!) formal education in sports physiology or coaching. I do however have an extensive background in teaching youth and young adults in "active learning" environments (ie: where you learn how to do things by actually doing them) so I lean on that experience quite a bit. I also come from a professional background that is built extensively on accreditations, certifications, internship, licensure, and lifetime continuing education. While I certainly agree with just about all of the shortcomings that have been noted with regard to the USAT level 1 certification clinic, in my experience the positives have far outweighed the negatives.

USAT certification is a process that builds on a series of activities and benchmarks aimed at directing and measuring a coach's development. The most basic is the Level 1 certification, and it certainly is basic but as only the first step in a process it should be. The Level I certification is broken down in to several components: a) application/resume/recommendation letters, b) workshops, c) exam, and d) continuing education.

1) There were all sorts of folks at my clinic: only two others beside myself had no coaching experience at all; most there were actively making a go at coaching as a business and had been doing it for at least a couple of years. Several ran more broad-based training facilities/gyms and were there to gain more background in endurance training, or quite honestly to simply (and for better or worse) gain a marketing credential. There were a surprising number of folks that had years and years of coaching experience at the high school, college, AG, and/or elite level and were either beginning or renewing a lapsed level 1 certification but all with the expressed goal of working up through the system. Several of these had extensive background in other sports, but had a growing number of clients that were focused on triathlon. So, yeah - there were all kinds of folks there. It seemed everyone there besides me had at least some formal higher education in sport training and/or physiology - I was a real outlier in that regard.

The workshop component spans two days and covers a wide range of presentations, discussions, and exercises from a host of experts. The one I attended ranged from a handful of "excellent" presentations, most others that were good and somewhat informative, and one that was down-right terrible. To their credit that particular bad session was filled at the last minute by a stand-in in order to cover for a presenter that had to unexpectedly drop out. It would have been better if they had of instead scheduled a webinar to cover the topic at a later date, but that is obviously a hindsight-is-20/20 observation.

As Suzanne pointed out earlier by far the REAL value of the clinic is the network of contacts that you make. Our clinic was structured such that we spent just about all of our time together, both in the workshops as well as during our "free" time; so it was easy to get to know one another. I have maintained a fairly close relationship with several of our Level 3 presenters along with a couple of other participants. They have been a tremendous resource and mentors for me this past year.

2) The Level I examination is broken in to three parts: about 75 or so multiple-choice questions, 10 essay questions, and the development of two training plans for athletes facing a particular set of circumstances (along with a description of the conceptual framework that governs your thought process). The exam is basically an "open book" test. Comprehensive study materials are provided to workshop attendees, and aside from the training plan development, it would be easy enough to pass without studying by simply searching the supplied PDFs for answers related to the questions. So like most things this is what you make of it. I took the strategy of taking the test cold, then reading the material cover-to-cover and taking it again without looking back through the material (but I did consult other resources in developing my answers). Finally I went through and checked my answers against the study material. Having no formal background in sports physiology I found this experience to be extremely valuable in exposing myself to a wider range of concepts and point of views than are delivered in the clinic or in the study material. It took me about 1 month to chip through the test this way. So, to Blastman, I honestly wouldn't just go to the clinic. In my case it was the actual studying for the exam that got me a lot further down the pipe than I began. I would also commit to taking that step as well.

As a side note, It is true that almost all of the clinics require you to go through an application and review process, but I think USAT has decided to keep one clinic per year open to a wider audience and therefore not require the application. Last year that clinic was held in the USVI, and it looks like it will be again this year, so if you are truly looking for a "vacation" clinic, that might actually be your best bet - ha.

3) since I have only just this week gained access to the continuing education resources available from USAT I don't have anything to offer relative to their range, depth or quality.

4) While I have obviously not moved forward beyond the first step in the USAT process, I do think conceptually the idea that it is a PROCESS of advancement is a good one. While the possession of a USAT level 1 certification would be at (or at least near) the bottom of the list of qualifications I would personally look for in a coach, just passing through the first gateway has provided the initial resources, network, mentors, and served to focused my attention in a way that has been much more expeditious than I ever could have on my own. The athletes I have been working with this year (and will be for the foreseeable future) are all between 6 and 12 years old. I have signed up for the next USAT Youth Clinic. I hope this clinic is as helpful in resource and network development as the first.

Last winter Shane tried to start up a sort of "mentors group" for coaches (thanks Shane!). While I am at the point where I have a lot of questions and very, very few answers, I wouldn't mind trying to blow the dust off that group again if folks were interested?

2014-10-15 12:35 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Rusty, which clinic did you go to?
2014-10-15 12:44 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Since I bagged on one session/presenter simply in order to make the observation that the sessions can be somewhat "uneven" I intentionally didn't say as it wouldn't serve any positive purpose. They really did the best they could, I think, and generally I found almost all of the other sessions to be informative and at least worth the time spent. Anyone that spends any time attending or presenting at professional conferences will be familiar with this and wouldn't find it unusual at all. I'll send you a PM.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » USAT Level 1 class Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

USAT Level I clinic ?

Started by asj10
Views: 921 Posts: 4

2010-04-27 7:53 PM KSH

Dates for USAT level 1 classes

Started by moabrunner
Views: 535 Posts: 1

2009-09-16 7:16 AM moabrunner

Hr levels at Altitude vs. Sea level

Started by AF_SGT
Views: 764 Posts: 7

2007-10-31 9:53 PM dougdia

Affect of going from sea level to 2000+ feet in above sea level?

Started by oceanannie
Views: 9900 Posts: 10

2007-01-22 1:15 PM madkat

Energy level

Started by TriBarbie
Views: 1173 Posts: 11

2004-03-25 10:50 PM TriBarbie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2012
author : USATriathlon
comments : 1
This USAT Rules Clinic will help you avoid penalties. Topics discussed will be rules of the transition area, drafting penalties, the drafting zone, challenging penalties and more.

date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.