GoodLife Fitness Victoria Marathon
13C / 55F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 26m 35s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 530. Had some coffee and toast with peanut butter and then hit the road about 615 to go park downtown. My uncle was doing the race as well so we went together
Event warmup:

Walk/run from where we parked to the race start. Hit the portapotty line and then went to line up at the start. Pretty cool with the lights on the leg lit up.
Run
  • 2h 26m 35s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 06m 57s  min/km
Comments:

You know...I can't say I've ever put the word "bad" for a race performance down before...but this was bad. Ya I know I showed up and finished but getting up to nearly 40min from my PR is starting to get to me.

This is my first RR in quite awhile. First year of residency was a bit of a battle to be quite honest. I set up shop in Prince George right after IM France and my training has kind of fallen off the wagon despite my coach's best efforts to give me a training program that works with my schedule. Lots of missed workouts due to fatigue, low motivation and most recently injury over the course of 2013-2014.

I had originally signed up for the marathon but by mid July I was battling against bilateral ankle/pain tightness and had to cut down on my running dramatically. Longest run was 16-17k of run/walk back in early August and since I think the longest run I've done might be 8-9k more recently. Some physio...a trial of new shoes...and ya...

I think the first 13k of this were okay. Nothing special but felt decent. I didn't even bother to bring my watch. I totally went on feel. The race plan was 5mi easy-5mi easy and maybe pick it up--5k try and pick it up/see how it goes. After that point...downhill. Mostly literally but also figuratively. I'm not surprised given my stellar training lead up. Took in ultima and water and even tried out some beer at 13k at the Vic harriers cheering section...why not? By 15k things weren't really fun anymore....I picked it up as much as I could for the last km with the help of some Ricky Martin. 15-20k not super fun. Lots of walk breaks even though I kept telling myself it wasn't going to hurt any more and I'd be done sooner if I just ran/jogged. Lol

But finished. My mind isn't super DFL>DNF>DNS at the moment. Not that I came last but pretty BOP for what I'm used to. Foot hurts a bit right now but overall physically fine, just overall disappointed with my 2014 season. I'll get over it.
What would you do differently?:

Train. Not be injured.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Watched the marathon finish. Stretched and hot tub.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training. Injury

Event comments:

Love this race. 3rd time doing. Beautiful course. Just a terrible run for me.

Last updated: 2014-10-13 12:00 AM
Running
02:26:35 | 21.1 kms | 06m 57s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Course: Flat with a few gradual climbs
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-10-13 2:05 PM

User image

Champion
Subject: Victoria Half Marathon

2014-10-14 11:29 AM
in reply to: #5059434

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Victoria Half Marathon

Good job on getting out there - life does get in the way but you did the HTFU thing to do and just did it!  Even though you can and will do better, these times can help you keep your sporting life in perspective. PR's come and go, same with available training time, you'll be back! 

Great job! 

2014-10-14 5:05 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Sounds like a lot of obstacles in the course of things.  I hope you can find that happy place with your schedule and train more--you did great making it a fun day and keeping yourself rom injury.

2014-10-18 7:04 PM
in reply to: #5059434

User image

Pro
NJ
Well, on the upside you burned enough calories for Canadian T'giving pie. Good job working to hold on to some fitness during your residency. It will come back. In the meantime, get the ankle healthy and do what you can. Btw, good job trying out the beer!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Victoria Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Victoria Half Marathon

Started by DrLeah
Views: 784 Posts: 1

2011-10-09 11:08 PM DrLeah

Royal Victoria Half Marathon

Started by tsauder
Views: 1124 Posts: 1

2011-03-07 3:17 PM tsauder

Started by Neilman
Views: 1000 Posts: 1

2010-10-16 10:19 PM Neilman

Started by CeeCee
Views: 1314 Posts: 2

2010-10-17 11:02 PM Neilman

Victoria Half Marathon

Started by corstan
Views: 2275 Posts: 1

2010-10-11 1:40 PM corstan
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.