General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OSU TriFit Challenge and Challenge New Albany - Same Day? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-13 3:15 PM

User image

Regular
Columbus
Subject: OSU TriFit Challenge and Challenge New Albany - Same Day?
I just got the e-mail with early bird registration for OSU TriFit Challenge, and it's being held the same day as Challenge New Albany? I know the courses don't quite overlap, but that's 2 big races and I would think they're each going to lose some participants who normally would have done both of them. I wasn't a huge fan of the New Albany race this past year, so I will do OSU, but if they were different weekends I definitely would have considered doing both of them.

Edited by NDIrishO3 2014-10-13 3:22 PM

2014-10-13 10:12 PM
in reply to: NDIrishO3

User image

Subject: RE: OSU TriFit Challenge and Challenge New Albany - Same Day?
Wow, that is definitely surprising. It will be interesting to see how having two "A" events on the same day impacts registration numbers for both events. I'll probably end up registering for the OSU TriFit Challenge as I plan on participating in the Challenge Cedar Point event (formerly REV3) later in the year.
2014-10-14 9:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Columbus
I emailed them and asked about it; they said they were aware of the conflict but that July 26th was the only day they could get Ohio Stadium. On the bright side, I guess I just saved $125 by not being able to do the New Albany Olympic race!

Edited by NDIrishO3 2014-10-14 9:26 PM
2014-10-30 9:36 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Saw this in the HFP Racing newsletter that came out this morning. With the merger of REV3 and Challenge, I was curious how long the New Albany event would remain a part of their series with REV3 having the already well-established Cedar Point event in September.

Challenge New Albany rebranding and moving to August 30th

The Challenge New Albany event is going through a rebrand and will no longer be part of the Challenge Family of events. Additionally, the event will be moved to Sunday, August 30th. Stay tuned for more details on this exciting announcement which will come later in November. Registration will re-open after the announcement. Anyone that is currently registered for the event will be getting an email explaining your registration options.

Edited by NateUT 2014-10-30 9:38 AM
2014-10-30 6:50 PM
in reply to: NateUT

User image

Veteran
Cedar Point has a Full distance, there are only two full distance races left in Challenge/REV3 - Atlantic City and Cedar Point.
Maybe they want to attract more full distance athletes for Cedar Point?

It is interesting what is going to happen with New Albany. Many triathletes did not like Giant Eagle cancellation, I hope New Albany will stay. Columbus deserves to have a good triathlon race.
2014-10-30 7:56 PM
in reply to: trig

User image

Regular
Columbus
Hmmm, that's interesting! I will admit I was one of the people who was upset by the cancellation of Giant Eagle; I did the New Albany Olympic (as an aquabike) this past summer and I really missed the atmosphere of Giant Eagle. I thought New Albany was sort of a letdown; I thought maybe I just missed out by not doing the run, but I heard from some others who did the whole thing who had the same reaction to it. I'm interested to see what they decide to do with it on the new date!

2014-10-30 8:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by NDIrishO3

I will admit I was one of the people who was upset by the cancellation of Giant Eagle

Me too!!!! Downtown finish was awesome. I did not do New Albany, but i would love to, because this is my training backyard. I ride those roads my every training.
2014-10-31 4:26 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by NDIrishO3 I thought New Albany was sort of a letdown; I thought maybe I just missed out by not doing the run, but I heard from some others who did the whole thing who had the same reaction to it.

Yeah, you didn't miss much at all.  Racing in New Albany was like putting on an event in a ghost town, or a fake movie lot town full of pretty facades.  The whole environment felt very fake, very manufactured.  There were no PEOPLE. There was no vibe or energy; it was very flat.

I definitely missed Giant Eagle and I am sincerely hoping to see it return to Giant Eagle on the old course, return to being a 5i50 event, and being a qualifier for the Hy-Vee 5i50 Championship, again.   I doubt that any of that comes to pass, but it is what I'm hoping for (I'm even wearing my 2013 Giant Eagle race shirt today, lol!).

2014-10-31 4:37 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by cgregg

Originally posted by NDIrishO3  Racing in New Albany was like putting on an event in a ghost town

It's a shame especially in comparison to Europe Challenge events, like Roth Challenge with 200,000 spectators.

Originally posted by cgregg
(I'm even wearing my 2013 Giant Eagle race shirt today, lol!)

Is it your hw costume? ))) I would wear my swimsuit, but I am afraid my co-workers will not appreciate that !
2015-01-12 9:41 AM
in reply to: NateUT

User image

Does anyone have any news on the New Albany Race? HFP has the Great Buckeye on August 30th so I doubt they will also take on the New Albany race the same day. Any registration link I find for the New Albany race takes me to a blank HFP website. I will plan to do the Great Buckeye Half that weekend unless New Albany is available.
2015-01-12 1:15 PM
in reply to: aalbury

User image

I just heard back from HFP. New Albany is not happening at all this year.

" We were hoping that New Albany would be happening that weekend, but finally got word from New Albany that they do not want to host the event. Therefore, the Challenge license was cancelled and we decided to re-post the Great Buckeye Race for Aug. 30. So go ahead and sign up for Great Buckeye. "

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OSU TriFit Challenge and Challenge New Albany - Same Day? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

OSU Ross TriFit Challenge Update

Started by Greenswell
Views: 1425 Posts: 6

2014-07-31 8:55 PM NDIrishO3

Challenge New Albany Pages: 1 2

Started by TriDiesel
Views: 3530 Posts: 29

2014-08-04 10:45 AM ajusf16

Update: OSU Ross TriFit Challenge Triathlon - Columbus, OH

Started by Greenswell
Views: 2531 Posts: 9

2014-03-03 8:12 AM Greenswell

OSU Ross TriFit Challenge Triathlon - Columbus, OH

Started by Greenswell
Views: 5549 Posts: 21

2013-05-03 6:04 AM JStenstri

Great Buckeye Challenge or Toyota Challenge?

Started by just_tri_to_finish
Views: 1534 Posts: 7

2010-02-17 3:26 PM Cliner9er
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 14, 2008
author : dr_forbush
comments : 0
In addition to writing your race number on each upper arm, they also wrote your age on your calf. This allowed me to see who was passing me by in the bike section of this race.

date : November 28, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Question and answers on swimming strength challenges, is kicking important, 'runners kick' with ankle inflexibility and the usefulness of fins, pool buoys and paddles.
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : January 7, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 4
We were all there once, a beginner. Time to take the challenge and help a beginner triathlete!

date : January 29, 2006
author : lv2teach
comments : 1
It’s a challenge to push yourself a little harder and a little further. Be proud of every workout that is accomplished and every step-even the baby ones-that you take on this course to the finishline.
date : November 27, 2005
author : AMSSM
Try to view your injury as another athletic challenge and an opportunity for personal learning and growth. Identify the skills that help you succeed as an athlete.

date : September 3, 2005
author : infosteward
The Boulder Peak bike course is legendary. It is, literally and named as such, one of the toughest bike legs in the country.