General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Never ending Plantar Faciitis... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-13 5:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
Subject: Never ending Plantar Faciitis...
5 years later, still fighting it. Its back again in both feet. Id like to ask how your symptoms present if you are also dealing with pf?
I have heard some people just have a sore heel, others have more pain. In my case, my feet feel almost 100% and then in one step if feels as though I stepped on a razor blade. Amazingly sharp and intense it'll make you shout, but its usually a brief pain. I'll sit down, and move my foot around, and it feels better as long as I don't touch the painful area, sometimes I can continue walking almost pain free again, other times I'll have to take a break for an hour or so. (I have been in brooks glycerins and orthotics or insoles the entire time.)
Running is out. Its been swimming, and cycling only the last 5 years. Im finally considering elective release surgery, although I have not tried "art".
(Calf needling to release plantar tension was a painful nightmare, causing spasms and locked up muscles for a very long time.)
Im just having trouble with the "art" concept. Manipulating the plantar tendon's fascia in the very spot thats seperated and inflamed at or near the heel bone? Aren't we supposed to be protecting this week point with orthotics, anti-inflammatory meds, reducing swelling and trauma using frozen peas etc?
Cortisone...havent tried it, Im concerned about the possible tendon damage, and the loss of fat padding at the heel. Maybe it is time to give cortisone a go? I just dont see how a shot can correct the problem, couldnt it mask the pain, allowing greater fascia separation?
Dont worry, Ill ask all this to my foot doc, just have to vent, and check in with the BT crew to get some more ideas I guess...

2014-10-13 6:54 PM
in reply to: mxr746

User image

Subject: RE: Never ending Plantar Faciitis...
I do ART and myo-fascial release on my PF - it hurts like a , but it works - between that, k-tape when I run and my chiropractor - my PF is manageable
2014-10-13 7:43 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member

Unfortunately there are probably dozens of opinions and experiences with PF- reading your post made me wonder about a few things..have the symptoms ever totally gone away? what precipitated the first bout? who prescribed the orthotics and why have shoes & orthotics not been adjusted or changed if you have had symptoms for so long? What other exercises and treatment for the calves and kinetic chain have you been doing  to deal with the roots of the problem? What have you learned about your running gait and biomechanics? PF does not occur in a vacuum..all connected..

2014-10-14 5:04 PM
in reply to: isis

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
Originally posted by isis

Unfortunately there are probably dozens of opinions and experiences with PF- reading your post made me wonder about a few things..have the symptoms ever totally gone away? what precipitated the first bout? who prescribed the orthotics and why have shoes & orthotics not been adjusted or changed if you have had symptoms for so long? What other exercises and treatment for the calves and kinetic chain have you been doing  to deal with the roots of the problem? What have you learned about your running gait and biomechanics? PF does not occur in a vacuum..all connected..

I think the symptoms have never really completely gone away, but they have been manageable enough to cycle, swim, and work with a personal trainer (low impact) I have had a few podiatrists, and a well respected podiatry group that is geared towards sports. I seem to show up in the office a few times a year to get help with the latest flare ups, as I don't want the experience the initial pain of the first round. It was a hilly sprinting 5k that got me initially.

They all want me in a neutral cushion category shoe with insoles or custom orthotics. I had two pairs of customs made, neither worked well, and one had such a huge metatarsal support that it caused more problems. Have been using off the shelf insoles, heat moldables, and super feet for the last few years. My mother, uncle, and a friend all have had pf along with me, and I notice they have all had at least a flare up per year as well, going back in the boot etc.
My running gait is very neutral, although I used to over stride on down hills. I have chondromalacia as well to be careful with.
Still confused about treatment for pf, and why manipulating the fascia is recommended. It would seem to aggravate the area and cause more inflammation wouldnt it? Why stress the tendon further by pushing on the insertion point to the bone? It seems to have a decent success rate, but Id hate to make things worse, paranoid about going all the way back to square one of hobbling around for a year...

2014-10-14 5:20 PM

User image

here is a pretty good article explaining why ART works for FP - http://www.riverstonechiropractic.com/2013/12/plantar-fasciitis-tre...
2014-10-17 9:48 PM
in reply to: #5059493

Just curious if you've ever tried plantar faciilitis boots? And if they helped?

2014-10-20 9:10 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Master
Bronze member

The post with the link to ART iI think is really clear & useful..I regularly go for structural integration/ART now and honestly feel that it has been the most beneficial treatment for most of what ails me- from glut/hip/pirformis to hamstring/quad/calves and the dreaded PF.  I hear you on the adding to the inflammation-and I think the time to work directly on the feet is NOT  necessarily when you have a flare up- but consistently working on releasing the fascia & on strengthening the feet. The treatment during a flare up focuses more on whats above in the calves etc causing increasing strain..if that makes sense to you. In my experience tho- the conventional invasive stuff doesn't address the root of the problem therefore you are doomed to repeat..

I had similar issues with expensive orthotics prescribed by podiatrists etc..think it is hard to find good fitter..have gone full circle and more interested now in working on strengthening and flexibility and less "added support" ...

2014-10-20 3:50 PM
in reply to: isis

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
Originally posted by isis

The post with the link to ART iI think is really clear & useful..I regularly go for structural integration/ART now and honestly feel that it has been the most beneficial treatment for most of what ails me- from glut/hip/pirformis to hamstring/quad/calves and the dreaded PF.  I hear you on the adding to the inflammation-and I think the time to work directly on the feet is NOT  necessarily when you have a flare up- but consistently working on releasing the fascia & on strengthening the feet. The treatment during a flare up focuses more on whats above in the calves etc causing increasing strain..if that makes sense to you. In my experience tho- the conventional invasive stuff doesn't address the root of the problem therefore you are doomed to repeat..

I had similar issues with expensive orthotics prescribed by podiatrists etc..think it is hard to find good fitter..have gone full circle and more interested now in working on strengthening and flexibility and less "added support" ...

good info, thanks! I have been wearing the boot, (boots) and I think its helping. Maybe its time to look at relieving tension in the calf area. No needling this time, that was awful. Ive tried to make a gradual change to less support a few times, and its always met with a flare up that you can set your clock by. One doctor told me orthotics 2 years minimum, then change over gradually, the other said orthotics for the long haul... I have noticed rotating the brands of insole or orthotic now and them seems to help, but the soft orthotics like the lynco might as well not even be in the shoe, the feet protest right away with plantar knife pains. Funny because initially they feel fantastic, a few minutes later....ouch.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Never ending Plantar Faciitis... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Anyone really "get over" plantar faciitis?

Started by Dan Estrada
Views: 1285 Posts: 7

2014-07-23 6:07 PM ecpasos

So if it is Plantar Faciitis? Then what

Started by bgeyeguy
Views: 886 Posts: 2

2011-05-22 8:47 PM ttuna

Plantar Faciitis - is there swelling ?

Started by louamerica
Views: 1562 Posts: 5

2010-04-24 11:41 PM crazyquick23

Plantar Faciitis misery - thinking of giving it up...

Started by runspingirl
Views: 1581 Posts: 12

2008-05-16 4:41 PM Ridgelake

Plantar Fasciitis?

Started by jayman
Views: 1468 Posts: 5

2005-07-26 8:43 AM Rowdy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 15, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 6
Over the past couple of months I've been waking up with a sore heel. Right in the center, it feels like I stepped on a pebble and bruised it. The pain, fairly minor, goes away as the day progresses.

date : June 25, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
I have a four week gap between the end of my sprint program and the beginning of my Olympic plan. Is it ok to just keep adding the volume needed to begin the Olympic plan?
date : December 28, 2009
comments : 3
I have had Plantar Fasciitis in both feet for 5 years, orthotics have finally helped where I can run again. Are there recommendations beyond ice and stretching?

date : October 28, 2009
comments : 1
I think I have Plantar Faciitis? The bottom of my foot is sore in front of the heel in the mornings. It sort of gets better during the day, I can run without increasing in pain.
date : June 23, 2009
The whole bottoms of my feet hurt these days. Been running for a number of years now and this is a first. Do you have any tips?

date : May 25, 2009
author : FitWerx
I read somewhere about "bar ends" to put on your handle bars, do you recommend them? Is this similar to adding clip on aero bars?
date : June 4, 2008
The bottom of my feet, more specifically the arches, have been sore off an on for a couple of weeks. Should I be worried? Anything I should do to prevent this?

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.