Other Resources My Cup of Joe » I have a first world problem. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-10-14 9:58 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: I have a first world problem.

Yesterday I learned that I need to use all of my PTO/vacation hours by Dec. 31 or I lose them and don't get paid out for them. Long story short it was not explained in on-boarding whatsoever (started a new job in April) and I've been intentionally saving up for a few big trips next year. So now I'm faced with needing to burn off 116 hours, or 14.5 days, or nearly 3 weeks by the end of this year. I'm planning on extending my Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks, but I still need to find about a week to kill. So I'd like to go on a little vacation, but am having a hard time narrowing down a location. Goals would be to relax on a beach, read some books, have a few cocktails and explore/enjoy a local culture. I have a valid passport but am not opposed to staying in the US if I find the right place.

Criteria:

• Warm weather/beach
  • Prefer all-inclusive resort, but not strictly a "honeymooner" type of place. All-inclusive not a "must" but I do enjoy those.
  • Not Jamaica
  • Safe for solo travel
  • Direct flight from a major hub like Atlanta, Denver, Dallas, Chicago. I am thinking 4-5 nights total, so multiple layovers and taking 2 days for travel each way is not in my wheel house this time around (otherwise I'd have booked a trip to New Zealand already!).

Any great experiences you would recommend or have always wanted to try?

2014-10-14 10:09 AM
in reply to: lisac957

New user
Key West
Subject: RE: I have a first world problem.
You didn't say exactly when you want to go but I assume pretty soon. Although it is still technically Atlantic Hurricane season, I might suggest these three locations:

Belize
Costa Rica
St. Lucia

All great destinations with beautiful water, weather, beaches and good deals right now. I can't recommend a particular resort, been too long since I have been, but I am sure a little research some will pop up.

I live in Key West and would say come here if you haven't been but it is starting to get crazy here with a bunch of big events, like Fantasy Fest, etc., so more of a party mood and less relaxing on the beach, unless you go out on the water snorkling or other water sports everyday.
2014-10-14 10:11 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
St. Thomas or Grand Cayman. Heck anywhere Caribbean except Jamaica would be nice.
2014-10-14 10:52 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
just jealous.
2014-10-14 11:09 AM

User image

i did Hilton Head for spring break a couple of years ago - bought one of those packages off lastminutetickets - or something like that - stayed at the Holiday Inn - really nice room, walking distance to beach or pool; lots of nice places to eat - can't remember what airport I flew into - maybe Savannah, but it was a decent sized one with lots of flights
2014-10-14 11:39 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

I have heard Belize is amazing. Costa Rica is unbelievable. If you choose Costa Rica, I would suggest staying by a volcano/rain forest. You can hike, white water raft, ride horses and soak in the hot springs. That sucks you can't carry over time. 

2014-10-14 12:29 PM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Punta Cana!! I think I am going back there in March with the wife
2014-10-14 1:30 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I really liked the Mayan Riviera in Mexico - good food and drink (mmmm limey margaritas), and you can pick nearly any kind of resort that floats your boat especially all-inclusive.   We stayed at a nice place with a lazy river.  The water was awesome, we could even do some decent snorkelling right at our resort.  I particularly liked doing the Chichen Itza tour - a bit of a trek but worth it. There are other similar tours to smaller or lesser-known  Mayan ruin sites along the water but I really wanted to do the one we did. 

I've been to the Dominican three times and enjoyed it every time but I definitely liked Mexico better. 

2014-10-14 9:29 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by lisac957

Yesterday I learned that I need to use all of my PTO/vacation hours by Dec. 31 or I lose them and don't get paid out for them. Long story short it was not explained in on-boarding whatsoever (started a new job in April) and I've been intentionally saving up for a few big trips next year. 

Have you talked to your boss?   I've generally found that bosses are pretty amenable to working around corporate policy on certain occasions.  I had a previous boss that let me bank some days "off the books" ... with the caveat that there were no guarantees if he was no longer my boss by the time I needed to use them.

I've also taken that approach with my direct reports.

That said, enjoy your vacation!  Try Hawaii if you haven't already.  We loved the west side of Oahu (Ko Olina.)

2014-10-15 8:53 AM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Veteran
Berkley
My SO and I have used Costco Travel a lot for our trips. They have really nice packages that you can take a look at.
2014-10-15 9:11 AM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by moondawg14

Yesterday I learned that I need to use all of my PTO/vacation hours by Dec. 31 or I lose them and don't get paid out for them. Long story short it was not explained in on-boarding whatsoever (started a new job in April) and I've been intentionally saving up for a few big trips next year. 

Have you talked to your boss?   I've generally found that bosses are pretty amenable to working around corporate policy on certain occasions.  I had a previous boss that let me bank some days "off the books" ... with the caveat that there were no guarantees if he was no longer my boss by the time I needed to use them.

That said, enjoy your vacation!  Try Hawaii if you haven't already.  We loved the west side of Oahu (Ko Olina.)

Actually yes after I posted this, my boss said she has the authority to roll over 40 hours into 2015, but they have to be used by the end of March. That policy is typically only supposed to be used for a major life events (wedding, having a baby, etc. - and requires VP approval) but since we weren't explained the policy she said she can make an exception. So that's a possibility.

I actually LIKE this policy where you have to use your vacation days, and I totally get it (if only I'd have known!). The company wants/needs employees to unwind and use this super generous benefit, as they clearly care about work/life balance. And it's not a badge of honor to accumulate so many vacation days you have to forfeit them - that is really frowned upon here. Very different culture than my last position!

2014-10-15 9:22 AM

User image

Pro

I'm trying to travel sometime between Dec 9 - 23... Let me know if you want a buddy!

I've got a few ideas... ok, well, really, too many ideas.

2014-10-15 7:39 PM

User image

Elite
We are fresh back from a week in Rio. ''Twas fun. We had our daughter as translator and tour guide, but she worked Monday through Friday. We were mainly baby sitting the Grand Geezerette but we still did the beach and the good restaurants. We rented a condo a block from the beach, we ate breakfast and lunch in the condo and ate out for supper. We hit the major tourist attractions but not too hard. The exchange rate is good right now R$2.5 to the US$1.Or fly into the old city of Salvador and hire a car to drive you to one of the posadas right on the beach. Praia do Forte is really nice.TW
2014-10-15 7:57 PM
in reply to: tech_geezer

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Cozumel. Depending on the resort, cheap. Also, some of the best SCUBA in the world. If you aren't scuba-certified, you can get certified down there.

My wife and I are planning a trip down there over New Year's Eve (my birthday), and we're spending less per night (all inclusive) than I did for my hotel in Madison for IMWI.
2014-10-16 9:03 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
If you don't have your heart set on going international, there's never a bad time to go to Hawaii, in my opinion. Great beaches and loads of culture once you get out of the tourist ghettos. I lived in Honolulu for two years and if I were in a similar situation with that amount of time and lived innthe US, I'd be on the next plane there!
2014-10-16 9:09 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Hot Runner If you don't have your heart set on going international, there's never a bad time to go to Hawaii, in my opinion. Great beaches and loads of culture once you get out of the tourist ghettos. I lived in Honolulu for two years and if I were in a similar situation with that amount of time and lived innthe US, I'd be on the next plane there!

I agree. I spent a few months in Kauai and would recommend it highly. Its supposedly the most natural and undeveloped of the Hawaiian islands. So many amazing beaches, not crowded at all, plenty of sea turtles to play with.

2014-10-16 11:09 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

My wife and I are planning a trip down there over New Year's Eve (my birthday), and we're spending less per night (all inclusive) than I did for my hotel in Madison for IMWI.

Totally agree on the all-inclusive. For my last trip (Jamaica) I spent around $150/night for a mid-range all-inclusive and it blew my socks off. Yeah it's not 5-star restaurant food, but it had local flavor, tasted good, drinks were flowing freely - not sure what more you can ask for

2014-10-16 12:01 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Let me know how to go to Hawaii without going bankrupt & wife and I are there
2014-10-16 12:08 PM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by TJHammer Let me know how to go to Hawaii without going bankrupt & wife and I are there

Tim,

Not sure if you and your wife would be into this but a great way to travel is to get involved with something like wwoofing, which is how I got to stay in hawaii for so long. I basically lived on an organic farm and worked something like 2-3 hours a day in the mornings, growing and harvesting fruits and veggies, and the rest of the time I got to do whatever I wanted. They give you room and board in exchange for this little "work" stint. I prefer to travel that way actually because I get bored at resorts/hotels and I always bond with the people I live with on these trips.

2014-10-16 5:10 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by trijamie

Originally posted by TJHammer Let me know how to go to Hawaii without going bankrupt & wife and I are there

Tim,

Not sure if you and your wife would be into this but a great way to travel is to get involved with something like wwoofing, which is how I got to stay in hawaii for so long. I basically lived on an organic farm and worked something like 2-3 hours a day in the mornings, growing and harvesting fruits and veggies, and the rest of the time I got to do whatever I wanted. They give you room and board in exchange for this little "work" stint. I prefer to travel that way actually because I get bored at resorts/hotels and I always bond with the people I live with on these trips.

I'm sure the wife would love the idea as long as I'm the one out there working lol
Seriously though, actual organic farming/harvesting sounds interesting
2014-10-16 7:39 PM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by TJHammer
Originally posted by trijamie

Tim,

I'm sure the wife would love the idea as long as I'm the one out there working lol Seriously though, actual organic farming/harvesting sounds interesting

It totally is interesting and fun. I work in an office environment so any excuse to get out in the sun and get my hands dirty in a beautiful tropical place is all good in my book. I'm actually looking into a donkey farm on an island in Italy for my next one, lol

2014-10-17 2:13 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

My dad ends up with that issue every year, but since he doesn't like to actually GO anywhere he typically just starts his Christmas vacation time as early as he needs to in order to use up all his use or lose.  He is always carrying over the max his company will allow (something like 5 or 6 "days").

I second the votes for Hawaii.  Kona is lovely. :D  Perhaps a cruise?

The military works slightly differently.  We can carry over up to 75 days at the end of the fiscal year, and we get 30 days a year (this sounds like a lot, but weekends count...i.e. if I do a Friday to Monday that is FOUR days, not two...so in reality, 30 days is comparable to "4 weeks" in any civilian job).  It usually takes a few years of scrimping on your vacation days to build up to that point, but then the benefit after that is you *have* to take all 30 days every year or you lose some.  I like having the bank because while most years I don't go on a lot of trips every now and then I do...one fiscal year I used up 45 days of leave!!!!  That included Kona and two unexpected trips home for grandmother funerals, but still...that is a LOT of time off!

Option B: People sometimes nickel and dime their leave away...I knew someone that took every Monday off so he could always have three day weekends.  He didn't go anywhere...just worked around his house or whatnot. :D  I considered it during peak IM training!  So, don't underestimate this method...can be nice to have a few half days or long weekends at home...or even short weekend getaways.

2014-10-17 3:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by jldicarlo

My dad ends up with that issue every year, but since he doesn't like to actually GO anywhere he typically just starts his Christmas vacation time as early as he needs to in order to use up all his use or lose.  He is always carrying over the max his company will allow (something like 5 or 6 "days").

I second the votes for Hawaii.  Kona is lovely. :D  Perhaps a cruise?

The military works slightly differently.  We can carry over up to 75 days at the end of the fiscal year, and we get 30 days a year (this sounds like a lot, but weekends count...i.e. if I do a Friday to Monday that is FOUR days, not two...so in reality, 30 days is comparable to "4 weeks" in any civilian job).  It usually takes a few years of scrimping on your vacation days to build up to that point, but then the benefit after that is you *have* to take all 30 days every year or you lose some.  I like having the bank because while most years I don't go on a lot of trips every now and then I do...one fiscal year I used up 45 days of leave!!!!  That included Kona and two unexpected trips home for grandmother funerals, but still...that is a LOT of time off!

Option B: People sometimes nickel and dime their leave away...I knew someone that took every Monday off so he could always have three day weekends.  He didn't go anywhere...just worked around his house or whatnot. :D  I considered it during peak IM training!  So, don't underestimate this method...can be nice to have a few half days or long weekends at home...or even short weekend getaways.

This is something I do with half of my six weeks of vacation... Starting in late May through August I take Fridays off... It's really nice to have three day weekends all summer long... Whether it's for training purposes, house projects or just an extra day to sleep in..... One warning though, it's hard to go back to five day weeks when it runs out...

Edited to say I work in an office environment and "dial in" to check on things on these Fridays at least a couple times per day... 

Edited by TriMike 2014-10-17 3:34 PM
2014-10-17 7:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Reno

Originally posted by moondawg14

Actually yes after I posted this, my boss said she has the authority to roll over 40 hours into 2015, but they have to be used by the end of March. That policy is typically only supposed to be used for a major life events (wedding, having a baby, etc. - and requires VP approval) but since we weren't explained the policy she said she can make an exception. So that's a possibility.

I actually LIKE this policy where you havet to use your vacation days, and I totally get it (if only I'd have known!). The company wants/needs employees to unwind and use this super generous benefit, as they clearly care about work/life balance. And it's not a badge of honor to accumulate so many vacation days you have to forfeit them - that is really frowned upon here. Very different culture than my last position!

Our company lets you accumulate a cushion of 2x your yearly vacation before you quit accumulating. This suits me. I like to keep a decent "bank" for "justin case", and I always have days available.

It just dawned on me that in March, I think I jump up a week in annual vacation. Sweet!

Edited by bootygirl 2014-10-17 7:17 PM

2014-10-21 2:20 PM
in reply to: bootygirl

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

CABO!?!?!?! I went with a group of girls... and we didn't have an all inclusive, but there were plenty of those available. Lazed about by the pool(s) or beach by day... went whale watching... sea lion watching... etc etc... went into town (you can call a cab... very easily) for dinner. Cute little shops.

ALLLLTHOUGHHHHH... they just did have a hurricane blast through ... so I don't know what the state of affairs is down there. You may be able to book something super cheap!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » I have a first world problem. Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Worlds first Trillionaire

Started by tuwood
Views: 1331 Posts: 8

2013-10-04 4:34 PM Brit Abroad

Gimmie your "best" first world problems Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by switch
Views: 27128 Posts: 331

2016-01-13 8:19 AM Left Brain

real world problems

Started by LJR
Views: 919 Posts: 1

2008-09-26 1:32 PM LJR

World's first eyeball tattoo

Started by krludwig
Views: 1548 Posts: 16

2008-03-04 4:18 PM ranger5oh

having a hard day - must forfeit registration for first oly :( :( :(

Started by autumn
Views: 1568 Posts: 17

2005-02-16 10:49 PM mitrigirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : February 16, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
Some athletes call it runners' trots; others call it diarrhea. Whatever the name, few athletes openly discuss the topic yet many secretly suffer. Here’s some information about this stinky topic that m
date : June 30, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Are your brakes not slowing you down enough? Are your wheels rubbing on them? This video will cover the basics on adjusting your own bicycle brakes.

date : May 19, 2008
author : peteo
Well it is mid-life crisis time. I could get a mistress but I still think my wife is hot. Or I can abuse my body like I was still 19. Triathlon world here I come!!
date : January 16, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
My symptoms have been present off and on for almost two years. Is this a surgical problem, or should I just keep managing it for as long as I can?

date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : July 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Proper Bicycle Fit and Treatment of Common Cycling-related Medical Problems