General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Overtraining in the long run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-15 3:07 PM

User image

New user
Sanford, Florida
Subject: Overtraining in the long run
Hi guys and girls,

Today I'm having a rest day and am reading on the internet about overtraining.

Back in Holland my physio therapist had some heart rate based low profile 'training' for me on a stationary bike and also heart rate monitored breathing exercises (increasing hrv)

This has been well over a year ago and I thought it was about time to go full out again. Unfortunately this could not be further from the truth.

Over the past 2 months I have been working out again, but not a lot. (Wayyyyyy less than I used to do). I have been feeling so-so and have to add extra rest day to feel OK again.

Yesterday I did a 32 minute heavy training session in heart rate zone 4 and today I'm literally couch bound again! Just as bad now as about 8 months ago in my recovery proces.

I am ashamed to say that training 3.5 hours a week (!) is too much for me and I feel like a 70 year old and am afraid that I'll never be able to go full out again in my life. It really makes me depressed.

So I would like to be getting some coaching, but I don't know where to turn to for that. I don't want to go to a regular doctor, cause I've had some BAD experiences and misdiagnosis.

2014-10-15 4:49 PM
in reply to: Martine1975

Subject: RE: Overtraining in the long run
There is a difference between 'over-training' and 'too much too soon.' Please don't read another over-training article.

Much more likely, you've simply gone too fast too soon for too long. Yesterday, you pushed harder than your current fitness permits and you're paying for it today. It's a balancing act. Pushing yourself makes you stronger, but pushing yourself too much limits your overall progress b/c you end up on the couch recovering. Keep going, don't fret it. Nothing wrong with being sore and tired. That is how you get stronger and faster. But next time. . . perhaps dial down that session a bit so you don't end up completely wrecked the next day.

2014-10-15 6:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Martine1975
So I would like to be getting some coaching, but I don't know where to turn to for that. I don't want to go to a regular doctor, cause I've had some BAD experiences and misdiagnosis.

Based on your other posts, if it were me or someone close to me, I would do a massive reset.

a) go see a "regular" doctor and have a full blood profile done. Iron, Electrolytes, thyroid, B12, glucose......these tests give black and white results. No hocus pocus. A full bllod/urine profile doesn't lie. Eliminate the possibility of something wrong here.
b) ditch the articles and the watch for a while. No testing, no zones, no training plans, VO2....
c) go for a 30min run, 30min bike, 30min swim, alternating every day. No zones, no hard efforts, just do this every day or 5, 6, 7 times a week, whatever works for you from a schedule perspectived
d) Slowly increase that. Once you get to to 7 hours a week, Consider training plans, coaches, zones......not before.

If a 1 hour workout has you on the couch for days, no matter how hard the workout is, something is wrong and you need to rethink things
3.5 hours per week max is not normal

We are in October. Reset, regroup and by the new year you can start fresh.

2014-10-15 6:15 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Denver, CO

Martine, I know how frustrating it is to feel like you'll never get back to what you used to be able to do.  I started tri training in March after being able to do almost nothing (literally, like not even being able to stand for more than 15 min.) for 2.5 years.  That 2.5-year period involved pretty significant chronic back pain and 2 cartilage repair surgeries in the same hip.  It was really scary and frustrating when I started training after getting the pain under control.  There would be days, sometimes up to a week, when my hip and/or back hurt enough that I couldn't walk, swim, or ride my bike without pain.  My cardio fitness was awful too.  I found that not expecting the world immediately was absolutely key.  If I hurt, I'd take time off until I didn't hurt anymore.  If I was getting too winded or getting cramps, I'd slow down, and I HAD to stop comparing my workouts to other people's.  Taking things slowly and gently has enabled me to do my first 2 tris this year and I'm now training for a half marathon in the Spring and more tris next Summer.

It's really important to set your goals and measure your improvement based on where you are right now, rather than on what you "should do" or "should be able to do" or "used to be able to do."  At least now you know that what you did was too much.  Next time, go shorter and/or easier.  Somebody here on BT (sorry, can't remember who) said to base the intensity of your workouts on what will allow you to still work out the next day.  It's definitely a learning process.

Hang in there!  You can do this, maybe not all at once, but you can do it.

2014-10-15 6:59 PM
in reply to: #5060225

User image

New user
Sanford, Florida
I should be able to train at least 10 hours a week, cause I was able to do that up until 2012 next to a very demanding full time job as an trauma nurse.

After my break down in 2012 I have been turned upside down physically. Blood tests, CT scans, Endoscopy, everything.

Doctors gave me different diagnosis from overtraining syndrome stage 3 to fibromyalgie and ME.

Major part of 2013 I was so tired that I was able to only go to the shops. In January 2014 I moved from cold Netherlands to warm Florida and here I really started to recover.

I felt normal again, energetic, lively, motivated and I wanted to train again so me and my BF signed up for a gym.

Everything that I've been training I logged here on BT. So you can see for yourself that I am left with a capacity of a 70 year old woman.

And that is kinda hard to digest.
2014-10-16 5:48 AM

New user
Key West
I don't know how old you are, but if you are over 50, then there may be a hormonal component going on here. I say that because I had a tremendous slowdown (lack of energy and strength) when my hormones basically went to ZERO (thanks to a complete hysterectomy.) Anyway, after starting replacement therapy that is correctly balanced with bioidentical hormones I feel much better and have enough energy to train and compete strong. That said, I do think that you need to build the engine by slowing down and building a mileage base before you crank it up with speed work. Also, living and training in the Florida heat and humidity zaps some energy from you, so maybe if you are a high volume sweater ( I am) you want to make sure you are getting enough electrolytes during your workout.

Just some thoughts. BTW I am 60 and just ran a HM. Not only did I win my age group but I was 82 out of 380 overall. The point is that just because you are old, doesn't mean you still don't have it. Granted, I am a LOT slower than I was in my 30's, but I am coming to terms with that. Hang in there.

2014-10-16 8:14 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Martine1975 I should be able to train at least 10 hours a week, cause I was able to do that up until 2012 next to a very demanding full time job as an trauma nurse. After my break down in 2012....

So, perhaps the 10 hours per week + a demanding job was actually way too much and you SHOULD NOT be able to do that.

I agree with Marcag - try 30 mins of each, 2x per week of each, and start to go from there.

After any sort of break you can't realisticly expect to bounce right back to where you were before, especially after a break like the one you seem to have had.

Relax, take it EASY, and work your way back to a comfortable amount of training. Pushing it will probably send you right back down the path you were on before.

And, I also agree with no longer reading overtraining articles

2014-10-16 8:52 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Champion
MA

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Originally posted by Martine1975 I should be able to train at least 10 hours a week, cause I was able to do that up until 2012 next to a very demanding full time job as an trauma nurse. After my break down in 2012....

So, perhaps the 10 hours per week + a demanding job was actually way too much and you SHOULD NOT be able to do that.

I agree with Marcag - try 30 mins of each, 2x per week of each, and start to go from there.

After any sort of break you can't realisticly expect to bounce right back to where you were before, especially after a break like the one you seem to have had.

Relax, take it EASY, and work your way back to a comfortable amount of training. Pushing it will probably send you right back down the path you were on before.

And, I also agree with no longer reading overtraining articles

I agree that you should start to train very gradually and do not do hard zone 3 or higher work until you have been able to do workouts consistently for few months.

I went from doing Ironman training to struggle with training and being super fatigued not recovering plus having major knee issues that got worse very quickly.  I went to over 10 docs to figure out what was wrong with me and finally was able to figure out what was wrong but diagnosis and treatment isn't very straight forward. 3 years later, I'm no where to where I was before. I nap daily, fatigue easily and struggle to keep up walking with my family....pretty significant change from Ironman training of up to 15-17 hours a week. Now I don't s/b/r, but play soccer once a week. I'm goalie so I don't run. It has been emotionally challenging as what I'm able to do has changed so drastically.

You need to figure out what your body can handle and trust yourself.

2014-10-16 9:05 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Martine1975 I should be able to train at least 10 hours a week, cause I was able to do that up until 2012 next to a very demanding full time job as an trauma nurse. After my break down in 2012 I have been turned upside down physically. Blood tests, CT scans, Endoscopy, everything. Doctors gave me different diagnosis from overtraining syndrome stage 3 to fibromyalgie and ME. Major part of 2013 I was so tired that I was able to only go to the shops. In January 2014 I moved from cold Netherlands to warm Florida and here I really started to recover. I felt normal again, energetic, lively, motivated and I wanted to train again so me and my BF signed up for a gym. Everything that I've been training I logged here on BT. So you can see for yourself that I am left with a capacity of a 70 year old woman. And that is kinda hard to digest.

I apologize that I don't have time right now for a thorough response, but I'll offer these thoughts...

What you did 4 years ago is irrelevant.  You always need to train based on where you're at now with a mind on where you want to go.  Where you were in the past doesn't matter very much.  This would be true even without the questions over whether you were doing too much 4 years ago.

You say you only trained a couple hours this week, did a zone 4 session, and feel wrecked the next day.  First, how are you determining your zones to define that zone 4 effort?  Secondly, I didn't see where you said what kind of session it was (swim, bike, run, or other), but if you're that wrecked that you can't do anything the next day, you did too much.  You either need to reduce the intensity of the session or reduce the duration of it.

ETA:  You're not overtraining.  You're under-recovered, likely because you applied too much training stress at one time (think duration x intensity).

Edited by TriMyBest 2014-10-16 9:07 AM
2014-10-16 9:18 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
From your profile: My life here in Florida is awesome and working out is even better. Getting back on track after being ill for 2 years. The sun is shining AGAIN! I love cooking, reading and of course triathlonning.

You were ill for 2 years. I am not sure how much exercise you did during that time but if I had been ill for 2 years, I would not have been able to work out very much either. Heck, even being healthy and active, I can't imagine how tired I would be doing a 100 mile bike ride now, but during IM training a few years ago it wasn't that hard! Point is, your body adapts, sometimes quickly, to workload. But the flipside is also true- you lose those adaptations over time, even in the best of circumstances. Throw in a serious illness and I am actually really impressed that you have gotten back into it so quickly. I know it is really frustrating being where you once were but you have to cut yourself some slack. I'm with the others on here who suggest easing into it. There is no point in doing a hard interval/Z4 session right now.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Overtraining in the long run Rss Feed