General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My experience at the USAT Level 1 Coaching Clinic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-15 3:51 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: My experience at the USAT Level 1 Coaching Clinic
I finally had the chance to write up my experience in Portland last month at the USAT Coaching clinic. I wrote this for my website but thought I would share here with BT considering we have a handful of coaches that went a few years ago, some looking, and some curious.

Well I just returned from my 2-day experience that is the USAT Level I Coaching Clinic. I have put this off for 4 years and finally bit the bullet. Before I go into my experience let me explain my reasoning for why I trekked across the country spent a handful of Benjamin’s to sit through something I haven’t really bought into based on what I have heard from everyone that has gone in previous years. I almost didn't go after an email discussion with a very successful coach prompted this blog

Get into the system: I really dislike the saying “being in the system” but it’s required to be in the eyes of USAT if you want to work with juniors/elites, a demographic I am interested to be apart of, especially given this is where the future of the sport is. Ideally being able to possible coach developing and/or ITU athletes and the Olympics would be a dream.
Networking/Engagement: 40 people attended the clinic and we had 3 presenters. This gave me the chance to meet other coaches, show my face, and network, collaborate ideas, etc.
Insurance: Need I say more?
Vacation: Visit some old Wisconsin friends that moved to Portland

I went in skeptical but wanted to keep an open mind. I was not going and planning on sitting in the back and just listening. I aimed at my best to ask questions, try to get some discussion going, think critically, and try not to "drink the kool-aid" as so many are known to do at these clinics.
·
The presenters:
Jesse Kropelnicki (QT2 Systems):
Ian Murray
Shelly O’Brien

Here is your cup of Kool-Aid, drink if you dare. Now let’s dive in.

Day 1
"Adding and developing my approach and philosophy"

Jesse Kropelnicki
Topics
- Exercise Physiology
- Triathlon Nutrition Strategies
- Sport Psychology and Mental Skills
- Running Skills and Economy Training
- Coaching as a Business

Overall I enjoyed Jesse’s lectures and discussions. I have followed him for a while and read a lot of his material that he posts to his blog, and have interacted with many of the QT2 systems athletes, so I know what to expect. While I don’t agree with everything he says, he has provided great value into my education within the sport.

Given the 90 minutes Jesse had to speak on exercise physiology I was surprised at how well he was able to get content in, but more specifically, relate it directly to triathlon. After spending 3 years of my undergraduate work focused on this topic, working in a human performance lab, and mentoring with a great exercise physiologist (Carl Foster) for 2 years I didn’t expect too much, but Jesse delivered very well.

Jesses presentations on "Running Skills and Economy Training" was very good. Ironically I was reading and had Jay Dicharry's "Anatomy of a Runner" book out while Jesse spoke and felt that I was getting confirmation of both views on running. Biomechanics were covered well with some physiology. Jesse brought some videos along to show where triathletes typically have problems (biomechanically) with runner and how to improve a runner as well. Above all else, just exposing potential and actual coaches to this and learning to "train the eyes" is valueable for many. He also showed some great tools to use to help show the biomechanics of runners and how these tools can be used with coaches and their athletes. Sometimes, more then anything, these visual tools provide great feedback to the athlete.

The presentation on " Sport Psychology and Mental Skills" was good and I was happy to see this part of triahtlon coaching covered, as even Jesse himself stated, a topic often not covered by with coaches and their athletes. Unfortunately I felt that he lectured us more then anything, and most remained quiet during the presentation which had me wonder how many were paying attention to this topic.

Jesse’s personal story of how he has built up his coaching business is impressive. While I understand that if you want to be a full-time coach it does become a business (of sorts) I have always been irked by the combination of business and coaching together. In MY views if you are coaching and investing in athletes your priority and goal should be athletic success and growth, and sometimes I feel that "business" steps in the way, but that is another topic for another time. One thing that really stuck out was his shift in priorities from athlete to coach. “When you put your athletes ahead of yourself in training, then you are coaching” and this was a big take home for me. If your athletes are not your top priority you are coaching “on the side”. This stuck was something that stuck with me and I had to really give some good thought as I progress forward. Jesse said when he first started coaching he wanted to coach professional athletes. He took time, and a great investment but he is doing that now, and very successfully too. His progress over the years is a prime example of success being a long-term investment.

What I was surprised most by was not the content that I learned (that isn’t to say I didn’t absorb a great deal of content as I have just explained), but the communication between Jesse and all of us. Communications is vital in an athlete-coach relationship. Not just talking to each other, but how everything is communicated. For the athlete it is important to give as much feedback and honest information to the coach. For the coach is imperative to communicate clearly and in the best way to the athlete, for them to understand you. Jesse had a very clear and articulate way of communcating to us if we were his athletes, and I was able to take alot away from this.

After listening to Jesse speak for 8 hours, yes you read the right he spoke for 8 hours! I was able to develop my coaching philosophy and gained a deeper understanding on a couple key topics. I also learned how to make remote coaching far more interactive and beneficial for both the athlete and coach. Yes there is a hige difference of being physically there for an athlete and coaching from remote, but those differences are being minimized as technology grows. I would have gone to this clinic solely to listen and collaborate with Jesse.

Day 2:
"Banging My Head Against a Wall, With Moments of Clarity"

Ian Murray
Topics
- Triathlon Specific Strength Training
- Cycling Skills
- Swimming Skills

The first words Ian spoke were for us to not have bias as attendees. He challenged us to think with our own minds and not to just take in everything he and everyone else was saying (i.e Don’t drink the Kool-aid). This was refreshing to hear since so many presenters inform their audience and they just take it as expert advice without ever thinking critically themselves and use it to apply forward without really constructing their own "school of thought".

Ian’s presentation on cycling skills seemed more of a “learning how to ride a bike” then anything else. No advanced ideas and or training theories were covered. In fact, no specific mention of training with power/HR, outside of zones was even touched beyond the basics. But again this is a level 1 clinic so I didn’t expect too much in that department. But as I have said before application is the key to succesful coaching and this was an area I thought content could be presented more in-depth or better. The presentation was more or less building very basic cycling skills, basic equipment choices of the such.

If you are going to present on strength training you damn well better know the topic, this is not specific to strength training, but every topic in general for whatever you may be speaking on. At least, in this case, well enough to know and understand basic movement patterns, such as an RDL, which to my surprise was not known by the presenter (I had to go up in front of the clinic and demonstrate a basic RDL pattern). Furthermore, why are you telling people to turn a Bosu ball upside down to work on their stability? Wasn’t the basis of strength training for it to be as specific as possible??? Just put the athlete on one foot to work on their stability, there is no need to add in extra tools and use them in incorrect fashions, most triathletes cannot stand on one leg well anyway, so lets not try to complicate things too much. Maybe with my formal education on this topic and passion for it I am a bit more skeptical then most, but I thought USAT could do a lot better on this topic with someone more specific and specifically in the field, or maybe I am just ranting here.

Shelly O’Brien
Topics
- Periodization and Planning
- Practical Application

While the clinic had stayed on schedule for the most part, Shelly’s topics were cut short a bit because of questions asked and the slight tangents taken. She did manage to keep us on track and get as much as she could covered to her best ability.

This was where I thought I would cringe alot, but I was surprised. I was expecting to hear about the traditional and basic linear model of periodization and be "taught" about the 3:1 work rest ratios that I have heard USAT educating for years. Instead O'Brien explained the different models of periodization, and even went into the conjugate models, and even touched on the polarization model too (another form of periodization) which I was told is covered extensively in Level 2.

Time was starting to wind down and we did not get a chance to really get into the "practical application" portion of the clinic. From my understanding we were supposed to be given a couple of athletes and construct a seasons plan for them. I am not sure how much "practical application" can be given inside a classroom in 90 minutes, but I know what the aim was for this. I had to remind myself this is served as a starting point and not a "end all, be all" lesson forward.

Overall the USAT Clinic is far better then the ITCA certification (an online certification) that I debated taking simply to save costs for many reasons. Specifically for myself, now have 3 other coaches to bounce ideas off and interact with, Jesse/Shelly have been great for this! I also now have several different avenues to go with coaching as I am “in the system” of USAT.

Thoughts and comments:

1. Why on earth was the most discussion on coaching as a business, and the insurance policy but silent when the few topics of actual coaching pedagogy came up? This frustrates me to no end and makes me wonder about some people’s intentions, but I digress.

2. Surprises: Going in I thought that I would hear and be told to use the 3:1 work : rest ratio and then blocks should be done in 4 week intervals. However, I wasn’t told this and i
Well I just returned from my 2-day experience that is the USAT Level I Coaching Clinic. I have put this off for 4 years and finally bit the bullet. Before I go into my experience let me explain my reasoning for why I trekked across the country spent a handful of Benjamin’s to sit through something I haven’t really bought into based on what I have heard from everyone that has gone in previous years.

3. Different Level 1 Clinics: I know this was a "beginner" coacing clinic but I think USAT could provide more value for their future coaches buy dividing this clinic into 2 or 3 different future directions based on where the applicant/coach wants to go: 1. Coaches that want to build through the USAT model (More advanced coaching clinic) or have been coaching before. 2. Those that want to be a part-time or coach for their local club and do not have interest in advancing certs. USAT can stll get their money, and be able to provide more valueable and effective clinics to their participants.

So if you are going to take the USAT Level I clinic I would suggest a few things first and/or after.

If you are not in a hurry, wait. Why? Develop a philosophy, talk to coaches of varying levels, and develop a sense of and an ability to think critically. Then go into the clinic. You will not be blinded by the lectures and can engage in the material more then just “soak it in”. How’s that glass of Kool-Aid?
Ask “why?”: I love asking this question. It forces an actual answer and usually will evolve into a discussion other then a basic “yes” or “no” answer that gives the recepiant no valueable informaiton. It challenges the speaker and gives the audience more depth to the content and have them understand “why” and “how”.
It’s a certification: This does not entitle you to coach in fact you didn’t need the certification to go to be a coach. I once heard a quote “The moment you think you know everything is the moment you begin to fail”. Think of this clinic as a starting point NOT and ending point. Continue your education further your development, each and every day.
Get a mentor: All the knowledge you can obtain is NOTHING if you don’t know how to apply that knowledge. A mentor can be very beneficial for this. Fortunately going in I have already been under the guidance of a couple of mentors for the past couple years. These mentors and my interactions with them were huge as I felt I brought a lot more to the table and I could think critically and ask “why” and sift through the BS that was presented.

This covers most of my thoughts and experiences at the clinic. Overall I thought it was a good investment of time and money (that pays off very quickly), but like everything else could still develop to be more about coaching then learning how to coach. I will let the next couple years dictate the speciic path of where my coaching progression goes as I currently am working with AG athletes and am starting to work with youths as well. I will continue my mentorships and continue to reach out to other coaches as well.

How full is that glass of Kool-Aid?

Edited by bcagle25 2014-10-15 3:52 PM

2014-10-15 9:48 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: My experience at the USAT Level 1 Coaching Clinic
Thanks for sharing! Interesting read.
2014-10-16 8:21 AM
in reply to: Mimir98

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Mimir98

Thanks for sharing! Interesting read.

When did you attend the clinic?

EDIT: Here is a link to the blog I mentioned earlier of another USAT attendee a few years back.
2014-10-16 8:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Good read indeed.  Thanks for sharing.

2014-10-16 9:20 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Thanks for sharing your experience, Ben!

Shelly was one of the presenters at my level 1 clinic in 2011.  It sounds like she presented an updated version of the same session as 2011.  In my session, she didn't present the 3:1 model either.  She emphasized that periodization is a concept, not a model.  I'd be curious about where you've heard that USAT promotes a specific training structure like that, because my experience has been the exact opposite.

I also think that many people don't understand what the Level 1 cert is and isn't (this even seems to include some of the coaches who hold the cert!).  I've always viewed it as the equivalent of someone who has completed med school and is now in residency.  Theoretically, they should have most of the knowledge to enter the field, but they still have huge knowledge and skills gaps that need to be filled by practical experience, continuing education, and mentoring by experienced physicians (or in this case, more experienced coaches.)  It's the beginning of the line, not the end.

2014-10-16 9:25 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Thanks for sharing your experience, Ben!

Shelly was one of the presenters at my level 1 clinic in 2011.  It sounds like she presented an updated version of the same session as 2011.  In my session, she didn't present the 3:1 model either.  She emphasized that periodization is a concept, not a model.  I'd be curious about where you've heard that USAT promotes a specific training structure like that, because my experience has been the exact opposite.

I also think that many people don't understand what the Level 1 cert is and isn't (this even seems to include some of the coaches who hold the cert!).  I've always viewed it as the equivalent of someone who has completed med school and is now in residency.  Theoretically, they should have most of the knowledge to enter the field, but they still have huge knowledge and skills gaps that need to be filled by practical experience, continuing education, and mentoring by experienced physicians (or in this case, more experienced coaches.)  It's the beginning of the line, not the end.

Don, I am trying to pinpoint where USAT changed paths on the 3:1 approach, but I have heard people who have taken the cert in 2008-2010 claiming this, see my link to MVA's blog where he goes into his experience. But yes Shelly really drove home that periodization is a concept, NOT a model, I think many think about this backwards.

Yes, all presenters and Megan all said this is the beginning not the end of your education, I just hope most really take that point home with this. I think this is the disconnect with part-time and full-time coaches. Some continue education both with USAT CEU's, collaborating with other coaches, reading, writing, getting in the trenches, etc. some others will use this course as their template to go off.

I think a good way to describe this course is a beginner clinic for coaches to coach beginner/intermediate athletes. Level 2/3 go more in-depth into the "high-performance" athletes. Though I haven't been to Level 2, I do intend do in a couple years time.

2014-10-16 9:44 AM

User image

over a barrier
I attended the USAT 1 Clinic in 2008 or 2009 (chicago), its been so long can't recall and 3:1 was not discussed as 'the way' to coach by any means.

Bobby McGee, Ian, and Bob Seebohar were the presenters that I remember.

2014-10-16 10:09 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Hey Ben - the link in your second post didn't work.

Thanks for the very detailed, thorough, and even-handed write up of your experience at the USAT Level I clinic. As I mentioned in the other recent thread on this topic your experience seems to closely mirror my own: some great, some good, a little not-so-good. FWIW I almost elected to not join "the system" based on input that you and others shared back at the beginning of the year - funny how things work out, right? ;^)

Like most things in life it is fair to say the USAT coach development process probably still needs a little work, but I do think they are working hard to listen to feedback and make it better. For example in our clinic it was also fairly well beaten into our heads that much of what was presented were not models or templates for action, but rather simply concepts around which appropriate strategies could be developed. Also like you I was actually surprised at the depth that some of the best presenters could reach on their topic in such a short period of time, but overall I viewed the whole clinic as a broad and comprehensive overview: for me it seemed to be a great point of departure, not a destination in and of itself. I think that is a near-perfect balance for a beginning certification clinic in any discipline.

While the content alone might be considered enough, I also agree that by far the the best part of the clinic was the contacts and relationships with both very good coaches as well as others that were in the same boat as me, and everyone else in between. Several of those relationships have continued to grow over the past year and have been a tremendous help as I wade forward in developing my own practice. Thanks again for taking the time to write this up.

2014-10-16 10:12 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Ben, have you completed the testing step yet? As you learned the test is for all practical purposes "open book." My experience was that while it would have been very easy to simply electronically search the study material PDFs and check the box, I found that actually reading all of the material cover-to-cover and studying for the test to be infinitely valuable in reflecting on, contextualizing, and synthesizing the material presented in the clinic. This process took me about a month of additional daily work to get to the point where I could confidently take the test and pass it. As I have also stated before I have zero sports physiology background, so especially interested to hear your (or other's) feedback on it.
2014-10-16 1:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Ben,

Thanks for posting.  Good insight for someone in my position who is already coaching but on the fence about whether it is worthwhile to pursue the USAT cert.

2014-10-16 1:17 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
Originally posted by bcagle25
Originally posted by Mimir98Thanks for sharing! Interesting read.
When did you attend the clinic?EDIT: Here is a link to the blog I mentioned earlier of another USAT attendee a few years back.
2008 or 2009 in Clermont, FL

2014-10-16 1:22 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Great writeup, Ben. Thanks so much for the information and reflections.

Ian Murray is very well respected in the tri world and I had occasion to get to know him in LA. He is truly the nicest guy ever and does have some really impressive ... experience, skill sets, etc., but just for me, I wasn't hugely impressed with how he performed or communicated about bike fittings (supposedly comprehensive) or strength training. But many people far more experienced and well informed than I have great respect for him, and I believe there's genuine reason for that.

In building triathlon as a sport in Indonesia it's getting really interesting trying to approach the coaching, training, information dissemination, officiating, race directing sides of it. Good to have your perspective of the USAT 1 certification in terms of where we're looking to direct people or what resources we want to use/invest in.

2014-10-16 2:31 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Great writeup, Ben. Thanks so much for the information and reflections.

Ian Murray is very well respected in the tri world and I had occasion to get to know him in LA. He is truly the nicest guy ever and does have some really impressive ... experience, skill sets, etc., but just for me, I wasn't hugely impressed with how he performed or communicated about bike fittings (supposedly comprehensive) or strength training. But many people far more experienced and well informed than I have great respect for him, and I believe there's genuine reason for that.

In building triathlon as a sport in Indonesia it's getting really interesting trying to approach the coaching, training, information dissemination, officiating, race directing sides of it. Good to have your perspective of the USAT 1 certification in terms of where we're looking to direct people or what resources we want to use/invest in.

I have heard great things about Ian, and admittedly I might have been a bit hard on him, I just thought he could have presented his material a bit better. But I did disagree on a lot of his stuff (mostly strength stuff), but that is my area of specialty, his is triathlon. If we actually sat down and conversed I think we could both benefit each other greatly. I have heard others speak highly about Ian, and those are from people I trust. Possibly this was just not the best avenue for me to make such a statement but I digress.

More specifically I would like to know what others that attended the USAT Level 1 clinic thought about my comments and possible solutions to make the clinic more effective for everyone involved.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My experience at the USAT Level 1 Coaching Clinic Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

USAT Level 1 class

Started by Blastman
Views: 1763 Posts: 16

2014-10-15 12:44 PM TankBoy

USAT Officials Clinic/First Race Observations Pages: 1 2

Started by bcagle25
Views: 2535 Posts: 34

2014-07-25 12:48 PM mike761

USAT Level I clinic ?

Started by asj10
Views: 922 Posts: 4

2010-04-27 7:53 PM KSH

USAT Coaching Clinic anyone?

Started by cam224
Views: 669 Posts: 3

2010-01-15 11:11 AM cam224

Dates for USAT level 1 classes

Started by moabrunner
Views: 535 Posts: 1

2009-09-16 7:16 AM moabrunner
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2012
author : USATriathlon
comments : 1
This USAT Rules Clinic will help you avoid penalties. Topics discussed will be rules of the transition area, drafting penalties, the drafting zone, challenging penalties and more.

date : May 7, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 1
If you have running problems or just want to improve your running, this video will serve to show you how a ChiRunning clinic is conducted and the philosophy behind it.
date : August 31, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Kevin Koskella of www.TriSwimCoach.com gives his introduction on how he became a swim coach.