General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Track Bike Conversion Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-15 7:03 PM

Subject: Track Bike Conversion
Hey guys, my question is pretty straightforward. I've looked at the rules and I can't figure it out. Can I convert a track bike to a sprint triathlon bike? Obviously brakes on both wheels would be added. I also will add pursuit bars and clip-ons. My main question is whether or not the gearing will be an issue. Will I need to find a free-wheel? Is this a ridiculous goal? I've got a road bike and I'd like to avoid A) revamping it for triathlon purposes and B) buying a triathlon bike.

Any help would be appreciated.

2014-10-15 9:00 PM
in reply to: Airstrike101

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Subject: RE: Track Bike Conversion
There are Fixie single speed frames which have brake mount holes on the frame and fork. They have no mounting hole for a rear derailleur. The rear dropout is 120 mm wide, so road wheels that take 130 mm spacing won't fit. There are elite track bikes specifically for track use that have no holes for brakes. Sorry to say a track bike just won't work for your application. A track bike would be better suited for an indoor trainer so you don't have to keep switching your road bike between indoor and outdoor use.
2014-10-16 8:26 AM
in reply to: Six000MileYear

Well, I never intended on adding a derailleur. The local races are flat and really don't require much of a gear change. They aren't distance rides either, so I don't think I would absolutely need to push a full time trial set-up. This bike has brake mounts on the rear and front. The meat of my question is less on the technical side of things and more on whether or not it would be a legal bike. I was just concerned about the legality of the fixed drivetrain.
2014-10-16 10:35 PM
in reply to: Airstrike101

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
It's legal.
I hope you will be able to handle all the attention of curious people.
2014-10-18 5:44 PM
in reply to: Six000MileYear

User image

Expert
I race track and Tris. Have raced on a fixed gear bike before. Pretty funny the looks and comments.

No rules exist against racing Tris fixed that I know of. Be careful of sharp turns on the course, easy to touch a pedal down in a sharp turn.

Last time I did this was on my old Litespeed Tachyon Tri frame I converted to fixed. Better geometry for racing Tris than my track bike, plus it has brakes. My track bike has no provison to accept brakes on it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Track Bike Conversion Rss Feed