General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Aloha Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-16 2:31 AM

User image

Subject: Aloha
Hello,

I got into triathlons this past year a lot faster than I had planned. I've been swimming all my life & running for most of it but the bike is a completely new thing for me & it sure is tricky! I bought a bike in February with my then boyfriend now husband thinking I'd learn and eventually get into triathlons. Well he was given a free ticket to a sprint tri in April and we decided to do it together. By that point the mileage on the bike wasn't the issue it was poor nutrition because little did I realize that I loose far more electrolytes than the average person and was not fueled properly for such. So although I did slow but ok in my first tri I basically fell over at the end. Well a month later I was given a ticket to an Olympic distance tri. Well I said what the heck and went for it. The swim was easy & I was out of the water in the first 3rd of the pack and for me it was a slow swim because I had started in the back thinking I'd be the slow one. The bike killed me. I could barely do the distance but at least I had my nutrition sorted out that time and the run was pretty easy as well. I ended with a very poor time but at least I completed it. Since then I took a bit of time off for the wedding & honeymoon and starting my fall semester again but the last few weeks I've been on my bike more even if its just on my trainer to attempt to work on my speed and cadence as I've built up enough endurance to do the distance but my speed is horrible. I'd like to eventually work up to a 1/2 ironman distance but am starting from the basics again and strategically increasing to avoid injury and build a proper base for longer distances. Look forward to learning a lot from this community!

J

2014-10-28 9:34 PM
in reply to: JMO2014

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: RE: Aloha
Welcome aboard. Sounds like you have a lot of ambition - kudos to you. I say be patient with the bike. It takes alot of base miles to develop endurance . Your body simply needs to build more stuff to carry blood and oxygen around, and that takes time to develop.
You should give spin class a a try if you have access to one. I found those to be incredible to help me get my speed up on the bike.

Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Aloha Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Aloha all and much respect to you.

Started by paul walker
Views: 1661 Posts: 17

2006-11-14 7:40 AM paul walker

Aloha

Started by AirWreck
Views: 1384 Posts: 16

2006-03-02 10:45 AM AirWreck