General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calf cramps/charlie horses Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-16 10:02 AM

User image

Greenville, South Carolina
Subject: Calf cramps/charlie horses
Training for IMFL on Nov1. Yesterday trained fairly light brick in the PM and run in the morning. I have had a couple of bouts of bed time leg cramping in the last few weeks. Last night a bad one hit while resting my leg on the coffee table I moved and could feel the muscle get pinched, then got hit with a scream-producing painful cramping in the muscle that relaxed out but then came back and hit again. I finally relaxed it out, but my calf is still sore from it when I woke up this AM, I did my swim workout and after a 1,500 or so set, it came back and hit me again, I walked it out in the pool and resumed the swim but it reoccurred. Also got a small one in my other calf. Is this a nutrition thing? Eating bananas for potassium and I took a salt stick tab this morning, even though I really hadn't worked out hard yesterday. I am concerned about running on it right now due to the soreness. Any helpful thoughts?

2014-10-16 3:12 PM
in reply to: DavidKSC

Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: Calf cramps/charlie horses
If it is nutritional...

How is your magnesium intake? Most people associate cramps with low potassium, but it could be low magnesium as well.

I used to have horrible leg cramps and restless legs at night. Started taking a Magnesium supplement at night (Natural Calm drink) and use a spray on magnesium oil on hard training days. This does the trick and I haven't had those cramps since starting this. Plus it helps you sleep too :-)! Just be careful to start slowly with a small dose and work up until you have any GI upset, then back off and you have your dose.

Potatoes are also very high in Potassium, just FYI.

Also things to look at are hydration, change in intensity etc...but above is what worked for me. Hope it helps!
2014-10-17 10:12 AM
in reply to: #5060462

User image

Greenville, South Carolina
Thanks for the tip on Magnesium. Will look for that drink - where did you get it?
2014-10-19 3:02 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
I buy it at Sprouts, but am sure Whole Foods has it as well. Otherwise, you can always order it off of Amazon :-)! That's where I get the spray Magnesium oil too. Hope it helps!
2014-10-19 11:39 PM
in reply to: runspingirl

User image

I had this very issue this season. I started taking the Zinc, Calcium, Magnesium pills (the 3 in one kind). It helped a little but what really did the trick was to get on the calf machine at the gym and do strength exercises. Not light ones but ones that really pushed me to my limits. If I skipped this for 2 weeks, I'd get the night leg cramps and also cramps during hard bike intervals. This makes sense since most of the time cramps are from dehydration or just weak/tried muscles. Harder the workout, the more your muscles get destroyed (but they heal afterwards of course). Build them up with strength exercises and you'll have more tissue left in tact to finish your workout.
2014-10-20 10:25 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Rehydrating well can help (and bananas can be good for you anyway).  But, otherwise, probably not nutritional--so salt tabs, magnesium supps, etc are probably not your best bet.  Try to go easy on the offending muscles when training for a few days, refuel well and get good rest and recovery.  I'm often able to 'train through' those kind of cramps when I get them, but it depends how bad the cramping has been.  Swimming can be problematic beacuse 'pointing the toes' can help set-off the cramps (sleeping with a sheet tucked in too tight at the bottom of the bed can do something similar at night) and can often require me to put extra focus into trying to keep my leg muscles relaxed.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calf cramps/charlie horses Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Calf pain 2 days before half ironman

Started by lpavel
Views: 2407 Posts: 9

2013-11-04 3:57 PM FranzZemen

Calf Cramping during long swims???

Started by Mitchparadise
Views: 1485 Posts: 7

2014-10-17 11:22 AM TJHammer

Calves Cramping During the Swim?

Started by johnyutah5
Views: 7028 Posts: 18

2013-02-05 7:37 AM KateTri1

Compression Calf Sleeves

Started by Porfirio
Views: 3104 Posts: 7

2010-10-06 1:07 AM bryancd

calf injury while training for first HIM

Started by grega2s
Views: 953 Posts: 2

2008-08-16 2:23 PM mattb1
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 30, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
As I was pulling my wetsuit off while standing in the water, my left calf cramped such that my foot was pointed, the muscle was rock hard, and I could not pull my foot out of point for 30 seconds.

date : August 5, 2010
comments : 4
Calf pain can have multiple causes. In your case, the most likely cause seems to be from a calf muscle strain. If you have had Achilles problems you can be predisposed to a calf injury.
date : August 22, 2009
I'm experiencing tightness and pain in my calf muscles including my left achilles tendon. The tendons seem to really stiffen when sitting or sleeping. I'm not doing anything new.

date : January 5, 2009
I have a pain deep in my calf about five inches below the knee. A sports doctor did not feel anything wrong in the muscle, and there was no bruising. The tender spot can still be felt on massage.
date : September 17, 2007
Muscle cramps occur in 67% of triathletes. This article discusses several theories on the causes of cramps and what to do if you get one and how to prevent cramps.

date : September 13, 2007
I woke up with a huge painful cramp in my right calf. I do not think I was dehydrated. Can you offer clarity on what may have happened? Should I back off tomorrow's workout?
date : June 21, 2006
author : Team BT
Standing Calf Raises strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : April 9, 2005
comments : 1
I am training for my first IM and lately I have been getting cramps in my calves. I am a heavy salt sweater and I was wondering if that has anything to do with it?