General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about Pool Swim Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-16 11:25 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Question about Pool Swim Tri
Hey all,
This is my first pool-swim tri and I have NO experience with diving into the water especially while wearing goggles. I practiced it at the local pool yesterday but kept ending up with my goggles being knocked off or filled with water.
My questions:
Do they allow you to get into the pool and kick off the wall to start when it's your turn?
If not, is there a technique I can use to dive while not knocking my goggles off?

Thanks for any help on this,
Amy

2014-10-16 11:35 AM
in reply to: ttpharmd

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: Question about Pool Swim Tri
In my days as a swimmer in high school, this was one of my biggest issues. I've tried a number of ways to keep them on. One thing to work on is when you dive in put your head down (your chin into your chest) and hold your arms tight against your head, that helps a lot as your head will then deflect the flow. Another thing you can do is pull the edge of your swim cap over the top of your goggles. I've never tried that one personally, but have seen other swimmers do it. Also look at how bulky your goggles are, the smaller they are, the less drag they will induce.

The thing about starting is that every once in a while it's going to happen. If it's not a sprint race (I mean like a 50 or 100yd race) just stop, tread water for a second, and put them back on. I swam the 500 in high school and had to do that more than once, and still ended up winning some of the time. Just don't touch the bottom or you may get DQ'ed.
2014-10-16 11:39 AM

I have never done a pool tri but I don't see them making you dive. To be honest I would not be surprised if they made everyone start in the water.

2014-10-16 11:41 AM
in reply to: 3mar

Originally posted by 3mar

The thing about starting is that every once in a while it's going to happen. If it's not a sprint race (I mean like a 50 or 100yd race) just stop, tread water for a second, and put them back on. I swam the 500 in high school and had to do that more than once, and still ended up winning some of the time. Just don't touch the bottom or you may get DQ'ed.

My son had a coach that would throw in sets where they would not wear their goggles. So that they would be comfortable swimming a race if their goggles came off.
2014-10-16 11:42 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I have done one pool swim tri. It was a very friendly event and with a timed, staggered start. One swimmer took off every 15 seconds. They allowed two swimmers in the water at the wall at one time (the person taking off next and the person on deck). That gave everyone approximately 30ish seconds to get in the water and get ready to go before they had to take off.

Good luck with your race!!
2014-10-16 11:57 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Originally posted by drfoodlove

I have done one pool swim tri. It was a very friendly event and with a timed, staggered start. One swimmer took off every 15 seconds. They allowed two swimmers in the water at the wall at one time (the person taking off next and the person on deck). That gave everyone approximately 30ish seconds to get in the water and get ready to go before they had to take off.

This was my experience too--- time trial start.

You had to enter feet first-- no diving.

Mine have all been set up serpentine style (up one side of the lane, back the other side, and move across lanes across the pool. Some are set up where you stay in one lane and there are lane counter.

2014-10-16 12:07 PM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
The only tri I've been able to dive in is a reverse tri where the swim is indoor and last (read: cold outside). Usually pool tris around here use a 15 second staggered start where everyone is required to get in the pool then push off the wall when they say go.
2014-10-16 12:27 PM

I have done multiple pool swim tri's & never once have they let the racers dive into the water. The 2 formats I have done have both been in water starts. Either time trial start where the starts go over ever XX seconds or the other format was a wave start; 2 people in a lane for all lanes with waves commencing every 15-20 minutes.
2014-10-16 2:23 PM

User image

New user

Thanks everyone! I feel less anxious now knowing I'll most likely NOT be diving. :-)
2014-10-16 2:37 PM

User image

Originally posted by ttpharmd

Thanks everyone! I feel less anxious now knowing I'll most likely NOT be diving. :-)

On the website for the race, there is probably a description somewhere about the start.
2014-10-16 4:33 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

I've done a couple and like everyone else, mine have been jump in starts (no diving).  With that being said, I've had luck in masters class by employing what 3mar mentioned...tuck your chin and keep your arms tight against your head.  If you look up, the goggles will become unseated.

2014-10-16 4:48 PM
in reply to: JoelO

I have not done pool triathlon. I did however dive quite often as part of a master swim club.

If you do end up diving, the solution of the cap over the glasses tend to work for me. Regardless of whether you apply that technique, you should make sure you put the goggle first and then the cap after. This way the cap covers the elastic band and adds pressure on the goggles making them more stable.

It is a little less comfortable than the opposite however. The goggles will apply more pressure on your head which you might feel.
2014-10-16 4:59 PM
in reply to: Antoine tri

User image

They have one here every 6 months (next one is Saturday) and they let you get in however you wanna get in, diving is faster but its up to you. They are fun and interesting to watch as you see everything from the dog paddle to the backstroke.
2014-10-16 6:09 PM
in reply to: sirdizzy

I have done 4 pool triathlons in the past, and none of them allowed you to dive in head-first. You can jump in to start, but the ones I've done required you to go in feet first. If that is the case, then just put your hand over your goggles so they don't get knocked loose.

And make sure your shorts are tied on so you don't end up with a wardrobe malfunction....
2014-10-16 7:55 PM
in reply to: #5060492

User image

As others have said, the one I did prohibited diving. The timing mat was on the deck and people went every 15 seconds. You self seeded by estimated swim time (we were numbered in order -- faster swimmer was 1, etc.).
2014-10-17 7:20 AM
in reply to: jeremyscarroll

Assuming it is serpentine I wouls spend some time working on you flip turns so that you end up under the roaps in the next lane. (I assume they allow flip turns)

2014-10-17 8:07 AM
in reply to: jeremyscarroll

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by jeremyscarrollYou self seeded by estimated swim time (we were numbered in order -- faster swimmer was 1, etc.).

I think just about all pool swim tris do that.  Problem is pool tris are inherently very first timer/beginner/newbie friendly and people tend to have no clue what their realistic swim times are and generally overestimate their swim ability.  There's a lot of "I think I can swim 1:40/100m" that turns into "Apparently I can only swim 2:20/100m."

If everyone seeded themselves properly then in theory no one should pass another person.  That will not be the case.  Prepare to be frustrated with the pool swim.

2014-10-17 8:19 AM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Sidney Porter Assuming it is serpentine I wouls spend some time working on you flip turns so that you end up under the roaps in the next lane. (I assume they allow flip turns)

If the OP is already comfortable doing flip turns I would check to see if they are allowed. Some do, some don't. Also check on passing rules. Some allow anywhere, some only at the wall.

2014-10-17 8:47 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by jeremyscarrollYou self seeded by estimated swim time (we were numbered in order -- faster swimmer was 1, etc.).

I think just about all pool swim tris do that.  Problem is pool tris are inherently very first timer/beginner/newbie friendly and people tend to have no clue what their realistic swim times are and generally overestimate their swim ability.  There's a lot of "I think I can swim 1:40/100m" that turns into "Apparently I can only swim 2:20/100m."

If everyone seeded themselves properly then in theory no one should pass another person.  That will not be the case.  Prepare to be frustrated with the pool swim.

I laugh at the whole time/100 that people post or say they can do. There are rarely in context, many people don't know if the pool they swim in is a yards or meter pool. Then there are a good amount of pools that were not built correctly, a couple inches long or short. One around here is about 14" short, what we used to call a fast pool Most staff members at pools will tell you its an Olympic size when it is clearly a 25 meter or 25 yard pool.

Then there is how you define your 100:
fastest 100 ever
diving start, or pushing start?
average 100 in a set of 10
avg for a 500, 1000, 1.2mile, 2.4 mile???

I've never done a pool swim tri, but I would imagine it would be very frustrating.
2014-10-17 9:21 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

My experience has been the opposite-- in two of the pool tris I did, I seeded myself properly (came in right at the time I gave when I registered), but everyone around me started faster and had to pass me at the beginning. In the end I don't think they finished much faster (and some I passed near the end), but for my next tri I purposely seeded myself further back.
2014-10-17 9:26 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Haymarket, VA

The two local sprint series that I participate with are almost all pool swims.  They don't allow you to dive, they have you slide in and then push off the wall.  One of them is two way traffic in a single lane and allows flip turns, the other is one way only traffic in the lane and no flip turns.  Both have you self seed, however one actually asks for a verification of your time (previous race results, or coming to their time trial).

2014-10-18 10:39 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Veteran
Great White North
It depends. Most of the pool swims in the first part of the season have a faster more experienced field (few decent open water venues until after July 1).

Once in a continuous feed I got my own lane because the next guys didnt want to get lapped every 150 metres.
2014-10-20 3:20 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

New user

My experience turned out to be like yours Jennifer. It was a time-trial start, serpentine style. Before the race, I asked around the line and positioned myself towards the middle-back of the pack. In the beginning, people were frantically swimming and passing me...only to end up hanging on the wall gasping for breath towards the end. People started ahead of me that should have been in the back and people started behind me that should've started in front of me. It was also pouring down rain so each gulp of air I took in had some water in it too. It was crazy to say the least! :-)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about Pool Swim Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

pool tri swim question

Started by dwhelms
Views: 1156 Posts: 8

2012-04-06 11:03 AM dan king

Pool Swim Tri Question

Started by jtm3
Views: 992 Posts: 9

2009-05-04 10:34 AM strostertag

Sprint Tri - Pool Swim Question

Started by Trail_Runner
Views: 1241 Posts: 17

2008-03-06 6:01 PM tim_edwards

Pool swim tri question

Started by drdi
Views: 756 Posts: 5

2006-04-06 10:18 AM huskyboy

Another pool swim Tri question

Started by schwartz1
Views: 888 Posts: 6

2006-02-08 10:21 AM phoenixazul
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : June 10, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 0
Training for a Tri!!! I get to treat my body as if it were a field mule while my wife runs circles around me and splashes water up my nose at the pool. Whoohoo give me some more!!
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.

date : September 4, 2004
author : priscilla
Good swimming is relaxed swimming. Relaxed swimming depends on practicing the best techniques and the best body position.