General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wet Suit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-16 11:29 AM

New user

Subject: Wet Suit
I am a beginner. Doing an oly next summer. I am overweight female and would like to get your reviews on a good wet suit. Sleeves, no sleeves, brand?

Thank you
Krista

2014-10-17 7:25 PM
in reply to: 222073

User image

, Illinois
Subject: RE: Wet Suit
You'll get hundreds of different opinions on this. The recurring theme is that fit is most important. The second recurring theme is that the wetsuit provides some buoyancy, the more wetsuit you have the more buoyancy (less drag...more speed), go full sleeved. Those that argue against this will likely say the sleeves restrict motion. My suggestion is to wander around the internet, determine your budget, and look for coupon codes (Xterra) or other discounts. There are tons of threads on here but basically all boils down to fit and opinion. If there were one particular brand that was definitively better than than the rest then everyone would be using that brand and that is not the case. You'll probably easily count 6-8 different brands at any given race. I'm currently looking myself and recently came across a discussion on the other site where people were raving about the DeSoto T1 which is a 2 piece suit. I don't recall hearing too much about it on this site and I'm not sure why. The 2 piece provides better fitting options so that may be something to look into. My concern is getting the top off in transition, there must be a technique.
2014-10-20 3:21 AM
in reply to: 222073

Subject: RE: Wet Suit
^ec said it right. Fit and opinion, definitely. However, I will chime in that I am a smaller guy and I really like the TYR Hurricane line. Others that I've tried choke me. Plus, TYR just released a new version of the Hurricane, which means you can score the older models for really great deals or pick up the newer design and make your gearhead buddies jealous (:
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wet Suit Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wet Suit or Tri Suit for Big Guy

Started by coachrains
Views: 1568 Posts: 9

2014-02-19 1:36 PM coachrains

Tri suit and wet suit

Started by seanlove22
Views: 1553 Posts: 4

2011-07-25 12:24 AM Cubsrock444

wet suit question - camaro brand/F wearing M suit

Started by fourUNDERfour
Views: 634 Posts: 1

2009-06-01 2:17 PM fourUNDERfour

tri suit vs wet suit

Started by grdavison
Views: 6317 Posts: 4

2008-06-14 12:19 AM owl_girl

newbie-Tri suit vs. Wet Suit

Started by smdnyfl
Views: 1265 Posts: 7

2007-06-15 9:28 AM tri-chic
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 10, 2009
author : t3coach1
comments : 0
Looking to shave some time off and improve your swim efficiency during your races? We review the Rocket Skin Suit by Rocket Science Sports.

date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
comments : 1
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.
date : October 3, 2007
author : Diane1961
comments : 0
I step gingerly into the pond. I did not know water could be that cold and not be ice. Briefly I can see the bottom and then everything is black except for my pale hands extending from my black suit.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.