General Discussion Triathlon Talk » USATF Trail Half National Championship Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-17 11:33 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: USATF Trail Half National Championship

Anyone going to be racing in Bellingham at Lake Padden tomorrow at the USATF Trail Half National Championships?  Registration is open to any one.  I ran it last year and it was a lot of fun.  A very challenging course but also very beautiful.

Kind of exciting to have a race up here with an expo and press conference for the elites. 

2014-10-18 12:47 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Subject: RE: USATF Trail Half National Championship

I would have loved to come and do this, but it's crazy soccer season.  I registered for the Mega Fat in Olympia in January....if you love trail running, you should do it too!

2014-10-21 1:13 PM
in reply to: Medusa_Ann

User image

Seattle

Ah man, sad I missed this. Things have been crazy.

I'm looking to reorient to some trail stuff towards the end of December. Maybe even dabble in ultra???  Of course I had probably better get my micro-spikes on by then  

2014-10-21 3:42 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Mega Fat looks interesting.  Any idea what kind of elevation gains?

Lake Padden was brutal.  My Garmin had over 2,300 ft. of gain (was probably high).  There were some flat stretches but whatever was lost on the steeper ascents were impossible to make up on the descents because they were so steep and muddy.  I really thought I was going to cut significant time off my time from last year because of all the trail running I've done over the last year but alas it was a tough day.  I need a redemption race badly.

2014-10-28 4:46 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Medusa_Ann

I would have loved to come and do this, but it's crazy soccer season.  I registered for the Mega Fat in Olympia in January....if you love trail running, you should do it too!

I think I am going to do it! 

2014-10-29 9:35 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Originally posted by Asalzwed

That's awesome!  You'll likely finish an hour or two ahead of me.    I am on day 4 of my official training plan for it.

2014-10-29 1:57 PM

User image

Seattle

That's awesome!  You'll likely finish an hour or two ahead of me.    I am on day 4 of my official training plan for it.

are you doing the 25 or 50? 

2014-10-30 9:50 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

I am doing the 25.  Have never run that far to date.  50 seems like a million!  What about you?

Have you seen this?  http://www.trailfilmfest.com/store/p2/Film_Fest_Tickets%21_Fall_Nationwide_Tour%3A_October_-_December_2014.html

2014-10-30 12:14 PM

User image

Seattle

I am doing the 25.  Have never run that far to date.  50 seems like a million!  What about you?

Have you seen this?  http://www.trailfilmfest.com/store/p2/Film_Fest_Tickets%21_Fall_Nationwide_Tour%3A_October_-_December_2014.html

50 IS a million! Haha. I did see that and really wanted to go but I will be in Sacramento running a marathon!

I am sorta-kinda considering the grand teton half...speaking of trail things. I would love to double and run the Yellowstone Half as well (the following weekend.

I'm totally in love with the trails as of late.

2014-11-16 7:23 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

I ran the first 4.25 miles of the Mega Fat course yesterday (then returned the same way).  Narrow trails but in pretty good shape.  There are spots that are really muddy.  In that distance the elevation was only about 1200 but it felt like 3000.  Gonna be a long day in January when it is over 3000 in the 25k, but am loving the training so far.

2014-11-18 4:48 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Better hope it doesn't snow.  I did a 1500 foot climb this weekend in 3.5 mile and it was pretty frosty near the top.

I'm really starting to enjoy these climbs.  Finally found a gear that I can keep turning over without spiking my heart rate.  Also, got some Hoka Cliftons that make the jarring from the descent almost nonexistent.  Amazing shoes.

2014-11-25 4:36 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Originally posted by popsracer

Better hope it doesn't snow.  I did a 1500 foot climb this weekend in 3.5 mile and it was pretty frosty near the top.

I'm really starting to enjoy these climbs.  Finally found a gear that I can keep turning over without spiking my heart rate.  Also, got some Hoka Cliftons that make the jarring from the descent almost nonexistent.  Amazing shoes.

Tell me more about your experience with Hoka.  I tried some on and liked how they felt, but I could not get past how they looked AND the price point! I do see them at a discount at different online retailers now and then.  

I am finding it easier to fast hike up the steep parts still....but...still loving it.  9 miles this weekend to do....going to run at Pack Forest in Eatonville.

2014-11-26 12:07 PM

User image

Seattle

I hope it does snow!

I've been doing a lot of mountain running lately. Lots of ice two weeks ago and then lots of snow last weekend (maybe 12"?)

Are you in for the then, Steve? 

2014-11-28 4:30 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Tell me more about your experience with Hoka.  I tried some on and liked how they felt, but I could not get past how they looked AND the price point! I do see them at a discount at different online retailers now and then.  

I am finding it easier to fast hike up the steep parts still....but...still loving it.  9 miles this weekend to do....going to run at Pack Forest in Eatonville.

From the day I first saw the Hoka's I thought they were big, bulky, ugly shoes and I would never wear them.  What changed my mind about giving them a try was that at the ultra I did in August there were so many people wearing them and one model in particular was the newer Clifton which is very lightweight (about 7 ounces) and is much less bulky with a smaller footprint than their other models.

I had a hard time finding them in my size but finally got a pair and I am really liking them.  I generally prefer a softer shoe with more cushioning and that usually pushes me to more of a neutral shoe.  I need a little stability so I rotate two or three shoes with now the majority of my miles on the Hoka's.  I do not think that the Clifton's are suited for trail use other than dirt road/gravel path type stuff.  Hoka has just come out with a trail specific shoe which I know little about.

The Clifton's did not take too much getting used to but as I mentioned earlier they are amazing for downhill running.  I have worked on my form a lot with downhill running as I have been doing some long ascents which then means long descents.  The amount of jarring is a fraction of what it was in my normal trail shoes (Mizuno Hayate).  Worth at least trying.

2014-11-28 4:47 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I hope it does snow!

I've been doing a lot of mountain running lately. Lots of ice two weeks ago and then lots of snow last weekend (maybe 12"?)

I'm about 50/50 on committing to this.  There is another race (a 5k) the same day in Mt. Vernon that I've done the last three years all with subpar results so was thinking I'd finally get a good race in there but my running has not been going great in terms of 5k speed.  I did so much base and trail work with the longer races over the last three months that my strength has increased dramatically but at the expense of my speed.  My last two recent 5k's were much slower than I thought they would be even though I felt much stronger.  I've been doing weekly track sessions for the last month trying to get some speed back but just not feeling it.

On the other hand, I've done some long hill climbs (last one 3.5 miles straight up) with great results and think that the Olympia race would be better suited to my current conditioning.  I'll probably see how December goes and decide then.  I guess I'm more 70/30 on doing this.  

2014-11-30 10:25 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

I hope it does snow!

I'm about 50/50 on committing to this.  There is another race (a 5k) the same day in Mt. Vernon that I've done the last three years all with subpar results so was thinking I'd finally get a good race in there but my running has not been going great in terms of 5k speed.  I did so much base and trail work with the longer races over the last three months that my strength has increased dramatically but at the expense of my speed.  My last two recent 5k's were much slower than I thought they would be even though I felt much stronger.  I've been doing weekly track sessions for the last month trying to get some speed back but just not feeling it.

On the other hand, I've done some long hill climbs (last one 3.5 miles straight up) with great results and think that the Olympia race would be better suited to my current conditioning.  I'll probably see how December goes and decide then.  I guess I'm more 70/30 on doing this.  

I did a killer trail run on Saturday--Hugo Peak at Pack Forest to start with, in the snow.....then through more old growth forest and on some roads with pretty severe weather by that point.  It was great!  Hope you do decide to do the race.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » USATF Trail Half National Championship Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

USAT AQUATHLON NATIONALS

Started by swbkrun
Views: 1465 Posts: 8

2012-02-09 5:02 PM fgholloway

Northwest Trail Run 5-29

Started by Medusa_Ann
Views: 847 Posts: 1

2008-05-25 11:00 AM Medusa_Ann

North Face Trail Run

Started by swbkrun
Views: 1367 Posts: 4

2008-05-16 6:20 PM ggtriguy

downtown seattle running trails?

Started by JBrashear
Views: 1262 Posts: 2

2007-08-06 10:20 AM Medusa_Ann

Grren River time trail or Chilly Hilly again?

Started by Nob
Views: 874 Posts: 1

2006-03-03 10:09 PM Nob