World Triathlon Corporation
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 14h 22m 45s
Overall Rank = 1876/
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 94/124
Pre-race routine:

Warning as always, my race reports are long.

IM Chattanooga was the 2nd IM of the year with Mont Tremblant being 6 weeks prior. The goal was for Chattanooga to be my A race. Despite a nagging hip injury which limited my running in between Ironmans, I felt good on the recovery and training weeks in between the 2 races.

We drove 1/2 way Wednesday and the remainder Thursday. The days leading up to the race were the normal pre-race stuff...check in, packing bags, driving the ride and run courses, gear drop off, etc.
Saturday night, Bill and Barb cooked their somewhat traditional pre-IM chicken parm dinner. I popped 2 Tylenol PM at around 8:30 that night but had a really hard time falling asleep. I laid in bed trying to use every trick to fall asleep, but it wasn't working. I finally took another Tylenol PM and probably fell asleep a little after 10:00 pm. Alarm was set for 4:00 am and I was up to start the force-feeding (coffee and an English muffin w/ PB and jelly). We left the house around 5:00 am to get dropped off at the transition area.
Brad and I easily found the SNB and SNR bag drop before heading to get body marked and pump up our tires. Bottles and Garmin on the bike and that's about it (nutrition went into the bento box the day before). The little piece at the end of the tube (that allows you to pump air in) broke off on Brad's tube. We had plenty of time to fix it, but I would have been frazzled had it happened to me.
We double checked our T1 and T2 bags before regrouping with our spectators and then me, Brad and Mitch boarded the bus to the swim start. Once at the swim start, we hit the port-o-potties before walking to the end of the line along the fence. We probably arrived to the end of the line around 6:15 am. We weren't there too long when the line was being moved up as people were squishing in. That happened a few more times before we got to the start. We were able to see some friends as they arrived (Kari, Jeff, Zoya and Laura). It was great to see Jeff that morning before we got in the water. Between leaving the house and hanging out in the swim start line, I had a HS waffle and a Kind Bar and sipped on a bottle of Roctane.
I was trying to make conversation with Brad and Mitch, but was pretty nervous. I hate the feeling race morning from when you get up to when the gun goes off. But I mentioned to Brad that I'd be concerned if I wasn't nervous.
Event warmup:

The AGers were supposed to go off around 7:30 am. At around 7:10ish, we put on our swim skins (Mike Reilly made the announcement in the transition area earlier that it was 77* and a non-wetsuit swim). I popped a GU at around 7:15ish and peed in the grass in my swim skin.
Before we knew it, we were saying our goodbyes to Mitch as the line was moving. The closer we got, we could hear Mike Reilly and the music. We dropped our morning clothes bag and then they separated the line of wetsuit swimmers and non-wetsuit swimmers. We got to the arch and Brad and I said our good lucks to each other and gave each other a kiss. With Imagine Dragons "On Top of the World" playing and tears in my eyes, I jumped off the dock and into the Tennessee River.
Swim
  • 49m 12s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

We knew from the practice swim the day before that the current was ripping and it was going to be a fast swim. Prior to the race, Brad and I had a strategy to "aim for the tip of the island" when we were swimming...pretty much swimming as close to the middle of the river as possible. 1) the current would be faster and 2) the river curved so it was the most direct route to swim in the middle versus follow the buoy line.

It was nice having white swim caps (versus green or pink) since we were All World Athletes. It meant I was able to see Brad and hang on his feet for just a little longer. I went out fast and probably stayed with him for 200-300 meters before losing him. With it being point to point, I had no idea where I was on the course. I saw the yellow buoys that were counting up in numbers. I remember seeing the island and kept our strategy in mind. All of a sudden, I noticed the buoys were now orange and I assumed we were at 1/2 way of the swim. I glanced at my watch and saw it was 28:XX. I figured if I kept the same pace, I'd be thrilled with a 56-57 minute swim.
I tried to find feet to draft off of, but the river was pretty wide and people seemed spread out. It really didn't feel like we were moving as fast as we were. There was some chop from boats the second half of the swim. I am sure they were very small waves, but just seemed bigger since the first half of the swim was calm.
I kept looking for the area where the practice swim started from the day before since I knew from there, it was only about 4 minutes to the stairs. I finally saw it and glanced at my watch. I was elated and freaking out seeing it was 43-ish minutes!

I made the one and only turn at the red buoy to go left towards the stairs. The stairs were a little crowded and I wasn't really sure when I crossed the mat to start the swim so I wasn't certain how close to 50 minutes I was. I knew I didn't want to miss breaking 50 by a second or two and was in a rush to get up the stairs and over the mat. Once I crossed, I was pretty sure it was a sub-50 minute swim, a PR that will stand for a while, if not forever.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Was a great swim for me. I was focused and swam with effort the entire time.
Transition 1
  • 05m 19s
Comments:

My transitions always seem slow so I made it a point to hustle for T1. I ran the entire way along the river and then up the ramp to the transition bags. I saw Sissy and heard her screaming about my sub-50 minute swim. I grabbed my bag, ran into the tent and dumped it out. This time around, unlike in MMT, I was a little more prepared. My shorts were the right side out. My bike shoes were unvelcroed and my socks were rolled up inside. The volunteer I had was great and put my food and GU in my back pockets as I finished getting ready. I crammed about 1/2 a HS waffle in my mouth while getting ready. I ran out of the tent putting my helmet, gloves, arm coolers and sunglasses on while I ran/got sprayed with sunscreen.
Found my bike no issues and ran to the mount line, seeing Sissy's arms in the air along the way.

Nothing. Good transition for me. I actually moved with purpose.
Bike
  • 7h 32m 40s
  • 116 miles
  • 15.38 mile/hr
Comments:

What happens when you swim a sub-50 minute IM swim, but are a slower biker? You're passed a ton the first 20ish miles.

Within the first minute or so of getting on the bike, I saw Brad pass me which means I must have passed him in T1. We wished each other luck and rode on. I kept having to remind myself to ride my race and follow my plan as so many people zipped by me. My legs felt good and I was enjoying the ride. The weather was on the cooler side for that time of year and the skies were overcast.

I started to eat about 15 minutes in with my timer set to beep so I'd eat every 30 minutes after. I had 2 bottles of Roctane and water in my aero bottle I was sipping on. I also had the Base salt lick to have every 20 minutes or so. The hills didn't seem that difficult the first lap. I kept having to hold back and ride the power number Kim and I talked about. I stopped to pee 3 times the first lap and ended up squatting behind the port-o-potties each time since there were 7-8 people in line. Before special needs, Jeff passed me and we chatted for a little about the swim, how we were feeling and the huge number of people with flats on the side of the road. It turned out someone had dumped oil and tacks on the bike course. Ironman did a great job of cleaning the oil up and having us go around the hazard. There were probably about 30 flats, but I heard they had staff out there to clean up the tacks too. Having Jeff pass me was fantastic! I knew his demon was the swim and when I heard his time and saw him on the bike, I knew he was having a great day.

Pulled into SNB to get more food, 2 frozen bottles of Roctane and my spare tube/C02. The first loop, I drank about 1.5 bottles of Roctane and an unknown amount of water. It was great seeing our support crew and friends in that area. My legs still felt good, but my head started to hurt and my stomach wasn't feeling great. I had taken 2 Tylenol the first loop and felt I was ok to take 2 Excedrin Migraine somewhere on the second loop. Unfortunately, it never helped. From about 1/2 way on the bike until the end of the day, my head was throbbing and my stomach was unsettled. I knew I couldn't stop eating and it was somewhat of a chore to continue to eat knowing it bothered my stomach. I decided to back off the Roctane (and the Base) thinking maybe the sugary drink was contributing to my stomach issues.

The second loop was definitely more of a suffer fest for me and was about 9 minutes slower than the first loop. I was on target or slightly over my watt goal, but was not as fast as I would have thought. The hills again didn't seem memorable, but it felt like all you were doing was shifting up/down the hills. Joann and I leapfrogged most of the ride and it was nice to see a familiar face. I stopped once on the second loop to pee (again behind the port-o-potty) before hitting the final stretch to T2.
My head and stomach were still an issue and I continued to loop down at my feet/pedals to stretch my neck. In some races in the past when it's hot and/or sunny, I get a bad headache. But it was neither hot or sunny on race day which was weird. I did spend more time in aero and I am wondering if that partnered with the aero helmet caused the headache.

I was within my watt goal, but felt I would have been faster.

Was fairly consistent with the lap splits (time ant watts):
1st and last 10-ish miles: 41:02 vs. 41:34
1st loop vs 2nd loop: both 127 watts (3:00:57 vs. 3:09:01)

Perhaps take Excedrin Migraine sooner when I felt the onset of the headache. I debated on wearing the aero helmet or my regular helmet and made the decision on Saturday after seeing the overcast weather forecast for Sunday.
Transition 2
  • 05m 54s
Comments:

As always, I was happy to be done with the bike and to hand it to a volunteer. I saw Joann's husband, Mark, as I was heading to my bag and the tent. I was not feeling great so I walked to my bag and the tent. The volunteers were great and filled my water bottle and put the rest of my stuff in my T2 bag.

I wasn't feeling great and wasn't in too much of a hurry.
Run
  • 5h 49m 40s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

The plan was to run the flatish 8 miles of each loop and do a run/walk on the hillier part of the course.
Shortly after the transition area, there's a pretty good climb, which I walked (and was where our family was). I got an update on Brad (always great to hear he is on the run course) and told them I wasn't feeling great. Before mile 1, I saw some friends which was a great pick me up. I was able to run most of the path along the river. I took a GU around mile 3 and walked for a little after to let it settle. I then found myself taking more walk breaks as my stomach wasn't feeling great. I turned my interval timer on to hold me more accountable (run 6'/walk 2'). I did an ok job with the intervals, but walked the uphills as it further upset my stomach and I didn't want to anger my hip (so far, I was pain free). It started raining around mile 4 and was soon a steady downpour. I didn't really mind it.

I made my way across the river and hit the hillier parts. By this point, my head and stomach were still hurting. I abandoned my plan to eat every 3 miles. When I did eat, it further bothered my stomach to the point I'd have to stop and would be doubled over until the pain went away. I was trying to take in what I could at each aid station...coke to help settle my stomach, Perform, chicken broth, bananas, oranges.

Joann caught me around mile 11 and I told her I was continuing to have head and stomach issues. We actually leapfrogged for nearly the rest of the race as she kept having to pee. I made my way across the pedestrian bridge and saw Brad, Sissy, Barb, Ernie and Lisa. Brad had finished and I am sure there were other places he would have rather been, but it means so much to see him and others at the mid-way point. It gives me something to look forward to and is a huge pick me up, even if I was feeling like crap. I told him my issues and he said for me to get a cup of Perform at every aid station and I would be fine on that.

I stopped at special needs and took the GU because I'm too cheap to throw it away. I did a run/walk combo (no set intervals) on the river path and then on the highway back before crossing the river. I was hoping to be off of the river path before it got dark and was able to do that. I hit the port-o-potty on the stretch along the highway and felt a little better. I saw Brad, Sissy and Mitch around mile 21 and apologized for being out there so long.

Crossing over the river and knowing the hills ahead of me was mentally hard. I was in a world of hurt with my head and stomach (ironically, my legs felt ok). And I am guessing I wasn't as energetic as I could have been if I had been able to keep eating. Joann and I walked Barton hill and I had plans to run the down hills. I got to the top of the hill and when I started slowly running, had to stop because of my stomach. It was so disheartening and frustrating to want to run, but not be able to. Every so often, I would find myself doubled over holding my knees waiting for the wave of pain to pass.

Every Ironman run, I suffer. But I didn't even feel like myself on this run. I wasn't making eye contact or really acknowledging spectators cheering and was really in a dark place. I didn't have the feeling of wanting to quit. I knew I could finish, but was doing the math of my slow walking miles and how much longer it would take me. I knew if I could just run, I'd be done sooner, but I just couldn't do it.
I made the final turn onto the pedestrian bridge and could hear the finish line. I told myself I would run with the final downhill. I didn't want to start running too early and then have to walk. I knew the finish line was close and would start running once I saw the lights. Laura Cortina was on this stretch and it was so great to see her there!

I was in the chute and high 5-ing a few people, but was really scanning the crowd looking for Brad and our group. It helped that there was only bleachers on the left side. And Sissy with her arms straight up in the air is very easy to spot. I slowed down a bit to enjoy the finish line, had my hands in the air pointing 1 and 2 fingers showing it was #12 and crossed the line with a huge smile. The finishers chute is always pain free.

Perhaps more MMT forcing myself to run.
Post race
Warm down:

A volunteer helped me and I said all I wanted was to sit or lay down. He found me a seat and I immediately started crying. I haven't suffered like that on an Ironman course in a long time. And there was a little more added pressure knowing I had to finish so Brad and I both had #12 in the books (on top of that, quitting races is not something I do).
Brad found me and we got some pictures with the 2 of us and then some with Jeff (so proud of them both...Jeff having crushed his first IM and Brad with his PR).
I found Ernie and Lisa along with Joann and her family outside the finishers area. It was so nice to have their support on the course and to leap frog with Joann most of the day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Headache and stomach issues.

Part of me is disappointed in my race. I take that back. I am disappointed in my race. I was angry and upset for not having the day I know I am capable of. I was angry for the feeling of letting people down - people who put their energy, time, love and support into me and race day. I know I have a better race in me. This year wasn't without challenges...an IM 6 weeks prior and dealing with a hip injury since mid-July. I am trying to cut myself some slack and not beat myself up over it, but it's hard sometimes when you have higher expectations for yourself than the final outcome of the day. That being said, my first few years of Ironman racing, I'd be thrilled with a 14:22 finish time. Live to fight another day.

Event comments:

For a first year race, this was fantastic! Yes, the bike course was 116 miles vs. 112, but the venue, course and volunteers were amazing!

Looking forward to some downtime, figuring out my hip issue and getting stronger and more flexible in the offseason.

Last updated: 2014-06-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:49:12 | 4224 yards | 01m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/124
Overall: 189/
Performance: Good
Suit: swim skin
Course: point to point downriver
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:19
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:32:40 | 116 miles | 15.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 96/124
Overall: 2011/
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Lollipop shaped. Or as Brad said, "corndog". South for about 10 miles, then 2 loops, then north for 10 miles back to Chattanooga.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 05:54
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:49:40 | 26.2 miles | 13m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 94/124
Overall: 1876/
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loops with the 1st 8 miles of each loop on the east side of the river (flattish) and the last 5 miles of each loop on the western side (hilly)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-10-17 1:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Reston
Subject: Ironman Chattanooga

2014-10-17 2:39 PM
in reply to: #5060919

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman Chattanooga
congrats on battling through a tough day. Great race report!

I also totally understand the pain of being a fish. The fast swim means watching all the fast bikers go by.
2014-10-20 8:58 AM
in reply to: #5060919

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
K - I love this race report! I do not love that you had a did not feel good or that you are not happy with your race. But I love your honesty and openness, your desire to race and do better, and the fact that you have improved upon the small things that will count when your next race comes and it all comes together. #12 in the books. Enjoy the off season and I am excited to race with you again in July in Placid CONGRATULATIONS!!!
2014-10-21 9:30 AM
in reply to: hdhtri

User image

Veteran
Reston
Thanks, Heidi! It means a lot coming from such a great friend and amazing athlete. Definitely looking forward to IMLP next year with you, Amy and Brad. And enjoying some downtime with the off-season now.
2014-10-21 11:23 AM
in reply to: kwed

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
GREAT job!!! Thanks for posting your report.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Chattanooga Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Chattanooga

Started by meyding
Views: 1728 Posts: 2

2014-10-05 4:08 PM Sous

Ironman Chattanooga

Started by clemson05
Views: 1703 Posts: 2

2014-10-05 4:02 PM Sous

Ironman Chattanooga

Started by austhokie
Views: 1765 Posts: 4

2014-10-06 6:54 AM austhokie

Ironman Chattanooga

Started by WoodrowCall
Views: 2866 Posts: 11

2014-10-10 12:09 PM mtnbikerchk

Ironman Chattanooga

Started by Chris.1333
Views: 2068 Posts: 5

2014-10-05 4:10 PM Sous
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.