Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-10-20 4:40 PM
in reply to: STony G

User image

Expert
lake forest, California
Subject: RE: M DOT Tattoo

Originally posted by STony G Don't shoot me, but what is a "m dot?

M DOT is the Ironman brand logo (it's the M with the dot on top)

2014-10-20 5:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

I always took the position that if I was going to tattoo an "M" shaped corporate logo on my body, then the Golden Arches of McDonald's would be more appropriate.  After all I've been chowing down on Big Macs long before I started triathlon.

However, I don't frequent McD's anymore, except when on a road trip and it's the only trustworthy option. So the Golden Arches are well behind me. Further I did get a tattoo on my shoulder last year (a compass shape), so an M-dot wouldn't be my first and only tattoo.  And next month I plan to finish my 10th Ironman. It just may be time for an M-dot for me.

Edited by brucemorgan 2014-10-20 5:45 PM
2014-10-20 6:54 PM
in reply to: #5061037

M DOT is the Ironman brand logo (it's the M with the dot on top)
Thank you so much
2014-10-20 10:00 PM
in reply to: clemson05

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Most people can tell which one I did based on the design. Some mistake it for an Olympic tat though.
2014-10-21 6:23 AM
in reply to: Jimmycolorado

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Fortunately, the best tattoo for triathletes has long been discovered and accepted by the powers at large.

(tattoo.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
tattoo.jpg (87KB - 65 downloads)
2014-10-21 7:50 AM
in reply to: STony G

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

Your body, your call.

My wife commented "I guess you will get a tattoo now that you completed an Ironman.

My response: "Nope. I did it for me and not to advertise to the world I did one".

No problem with people that have one but not my thing.

2014-10-21 9:29 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Chris, I think that was updated to this:

LOL!

2014-10-21 9:56 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
ahh you are right. That's the great thing about the tattoo, you can just keep adding to the greatness.
2014-10-21 4:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Overland Park, KS
I got a triathlon tattoo after my first HIM - swim, bike, run image. I added the M Dot and 140.6 after I completed a full.
2014-10-22 5:12 AM
in reply to: crazylife99

Never, ever in my life did I think I would get a tattoo. For starters, what kind of image would I want permanently etched onto my body and where and why??? Plus I am a mid life mom of five with a professional career as a lawyer. Would a tattoo be career limiting. No one in my family has a tattoo. Our family just isn't like that.

Well, then I decided to give an Ironman a try. When I crossed the finish line (three broken ribs, fractured elbow, severe contusion on hip from a bike crash at mile 70), I completely understood why one would get a tattoo to memorialize the accomplishment.

I got a small tattoo on the inside of my left forearm. It's a small Mdot with "grit and determination" encircling the image. It's personally meaningful not only for the pride I have in finishing and what it took to finish but because three weeks later (managed to wedge another marathon in as well) I started chemo for stage four nonHodgkin lymphoma. I knew I had cancer and wanted to prove that one can be sick and still accomplish something personally extraordinary. I entered treatment knowing it was going to suck the life energy out of me. I needed to have a reminder that there was a day not too long ago when I was strong and healthy and that I could reclaim health.

So for me, my IM tattoo is way beyond the IM event and reminds me that I can get through great adversity with grit and determination. I am strong and am reminded that I can do whatever I put my mind to. It's in no way an advertisement for a branded event.

I love my tattoo and can't believe I have a tattoo. Life takes people to some crazy corners sometimes.
2014-10-22 9:50 AM
in reply to: sthoresen

Originally posted by sthoresen

Never, ever in my life did I think I would get a tattoo. For starters, what kind of image would I want permanently etched onto my body and where and why??? Plus I am a mid life mom of five with a professional career as a lawyer. Would a tattoo be career limiting. No one in my family has a tattoo. Our family just isn't like that.

Well, then I decided to give an Ironman a try. When I crossed the finish line (three broken ribs, fractured elbow, severe contusion on hip from a bike crash at mile 70), I completely understood why one would get a tattoo to memorialize the accomplishment.

I got a small tattoo on the inside of my left forearm. It's a small Mdot with "grit and determination" encircling the image. It's personally meaningful not only for the pride I have in finishing and what it took to finish but because three weeks later (managed to wedge another marathon in as well) I started chemo for stage four nonHodgkin lymphoma. I knew I had cancer and wanted to prove that one can be sick and still accomplish something personally extraordinary. I entered treatment knowing it was going to suck the life energy out of me. I needed to have a reminder that there was a day not too long ago when I was strong and healthy and that I could reclaim health.

So for me, my IM tattoo is way beyond the IM event and reminds me that I can get through great adversity with grit and determination. I am strong and am reminded that I can do whatever I put my mind to. It's in no way an advertisement for a branded event.

I love my tattoo and can't believe I have a tattoo. Life takes people to some crazy corners sometimes.

One can only say "... wow .... " to this

Hope you get well soon!

2014-10-22 9:55 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by sthoresen Never, ever in my life did I think I would get a tattoo. For starters, what kind of image would I want permanently etched onto my body and where and why??? Plus I am a mid life mom of five with a professional career as a lawyer. Would a tattoo be career limiting. No one in my family has a tattoo. Our family just isn't like that. Well, then I decided to give an Ironman a try. When I crossed the finish line (three broken ribs, fractured elbow, severe contusion on hip from a bike crash at mile 70), I completely understood why one would get a tattoo to memorialize the accomplishment. I got a small tattoo on the inside of my left forearm. It's a small Mdot with "grit and determination" encircling the image. It's personally meaningful not only for the pride I have in finishing and what it took to finish but because three weeks later (managed to wedge another marathon in as well) I started chemo for stage four nonHodgkin lymphoma. I knew I had cancer and wanted to prove that one can be sick and still accomplish something personally extraordinary. I entered treatment knowing it was going to suck the life energy out of me. I needed to have a reminder that there was a day not too long ago when I was strong and healthy and that I could reclaim health. So for me, my IM tattoo is way beyond the IM event and reminds me that I can get through great adversity with grit and determination. I am strong and am reminded that I can do whatever I put my mind to. It's in no way an advertisement for a branded event. I love my tattoo and can't believe I have a tattoo. Life takes people to some crazy corners sometimes.

I'm thinking the rest of my day will be pretty damn easy after reading that.  Thanks!

2014-10-22 4:15 PM

Subject: ---

Edited by mcstrangelove 2014-10-22 4:16 PM
2014-10-23 1:49 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

Awesome. thank you for that story!
2014-10-23 5:58 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Amazing story. This is very inspiring. I hope all is well with you now.
2014-10-24 10:27 AM

User image

Regular
Virginia

OK, you get the total bad-a$$ award for the day.  Even on a message board with a bunch of bad-a$$es.

2014-10-24 12:37 PM

User image

Never wanted one. I can see the 140.6 tat but I have no admiration for the mdot lawyers and have no desire to be their walking billboard.

I think they're hurting triathlon, imagine how annoying it would be if the term "marathon" was trademarked and it wasn't ubiquitous. That's exactly what's wrong with triathlon branding. There is nothing that I know used to describe both the fact it's a triathlon and longer than olympic like any running race director can instantly use. Long Course and 140.6 are hardly catchy.

Great for lawyers, crappy for athletes.

Edited by chris948 2014-10-24 12:38 PM
2014-10-24 1:26 PM
in reply to: #5061037

User image

I would get one if I got thru a HIM bc I don't think I can do a full but I think putting something to note it was a half is still OK and a big accomplishment.
2014-10-24 1:42 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by Jimmycolorado ive seen people around with the mdot tattoo on their calves. Do people get them if they do a 70.3 or just a full ironman?

Some people do...they're called posers 

2014-10-24 2:01 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Elite

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Chris, I think that was updated to this:

LOL!

That was my favorite thread in the history of slowtwitch.

2014-10-26 7:12 PM
in reply to: turtlegirl

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
Contrary to the general consensus here, I got my M-Dot and I love that I did. NO ONE that does not recognize the M Dot knows that it is a "logo" for WTC. What people DO know is "that triathlon in Hawaii". Then I explain that you have to qualify for that one and the three I did were the same distances, but not the World Championships. The M Dot represents the race...the distance...the achievement....triathletes are the only people who associate an M-Dot with WTC.

2014-10-27 6:15 PM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Originally posted by mrbbrad

Originally posted by Jimmycolorado ive seen people around with the mdot tattoo on their calves. Do people get them if they do a 70.3 or just a full ironman?

Some people do...they're called posers 

OH SNAP!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » M DOT Tattoo Rss Feed  

of 2