General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Life after triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-19 11:18 AM

Subject: Life after triathlon
I did not do any races this year even though I signed up for 2 HIMs. Earlier this year my husband was hospitalized for weeks and we spent months trying to save his leg which he had amputated in May. He is doing great now-in better health than he has been in years. During this time of in and out of the hospital, I was working full time and trying to raise our new little puppy which was only 4 months old when he got sick. Since then, I have gained 20 pounds and my arthritic hip has really gotten worse-mainly from the weight gain and the reduction in training which has really been a great "treatment". I expect in the next year or so I will be getting a hip replacement.So no running, period.
Currently-this weekend is the first weekend in 6 years that I have not gotten ready for a iron distance race. Greiving a bit...grateful for a lot! Thsi year wi the first one in 14 that I haven't raced at all.
What I am struggling with is changing my conception of myself. What I know I can do well is "going long". I am slow but I can keep going.
Maybe I will never do another tri. I dont want to think that. I dont want to think that my "best" is already been. Sounds very selfish, especially after what me and hubby has been through. I know that we got through that tough time cause I knew how to keep it going and just having great endurance to get to the other side.
What do I do now? Garden? Walk the dog? Go camping?
I work full time, have no kids- just my little year old bullmastiff.
I loved racing long as it was a huge stress reducer, helped to burn calories so I can eat more than 1000 cal a day and I could "out run the devil". I can run shuffle/walk about 60 min which has improved from a 30 min run earlier this summer. I can ride about 35 miles so oly distance is doable. I will focus on that this next year.
Just trying to re-do my self concept and find other wonderful things to do with all this free time. I am so blessed to have a healthy hubby and am really healthy overall with the exception of a bad hip. I know there is life after tris-what do you guys do????

2014-10-19 11:27 AM
in reply to: Cayenne

Subject: RE: Life after triathlon
Sorry you are having a rough time. Sounds like you don't know for sure that triathlon is out - lots of folks exercising on joint replacements out there. Meantime, I would look at steroid injections in your hip, if you haven't already. Most people respond very well to those, and could squeeze you a couple of extra years out of a creaky joint.

For me, I would focus on swim/bike. Much easier on the joints. Great part about three sports, even if hurt/injured, can usually find one you can do.
2014-10-19 11:40 AM
in reply to: modiolus

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I have kinda been thinking about this a bit lately. I think this stems from the fact that my last race of the year is in 3 weeks or so and that I plan to diversify a bit beyond SBR for the "off season" (I want to get back to doing some MTB and skeet shooting). Some of my reflection is based on my running mortality. I know that when I can no longer do this is will be because of a running injury probably brought on by the wear and tear of training over the years. My thinking now is that I would enjoy doing more biking, probably join the local bike club and do some of their group rides. I will continue to swim, but as I did this competitively for numerous years, I have no want to make my involvement any more than what it is now..
2014-10-19 3:39 PM

User image

Regular
It sounds like running is out, but if you can still swim and bike you could aquabike.
2014-10-19 5:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Well, that's all good stuff.  I could be satisfied with that.  I'd probably add sitting by the pool, ribs on the smoker, sipping a beer or two.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-10-19 5:20 PM
2014-10-19 5:19 PM

Originally posted by Cayenne

I did not do any races this year even though I signed up for 2 HIMs. Earlier this year my husband was hospitalized for weeks and we spent months trying to save his leg which he had amputated in May. He is doing great now-in better health than he has been in years. During this time of in and out of the hospital, I was working full time and trying to raise our new little puppy which was only 4 months old when he got sick. Since then, I have gained 20 pounds and my arthritic hip has really gotten worse-mainly from the weight gain and the reduction in training which has really been a great "treatment". I expect in the next year or so I will be getting a hip replacement.So no running, period.
Currently-this weekend is the first weekend in 6 years that I have not gotten ready for a iron distance race. Greiving a bit...grateful for a lot! Thsi year wi the first one in 14 that I haven't raced at all.
What I am struggling with is changing my conception of myself. What I know I can do well is "going long". I am slow but I can keep going.
Maybe I will never do another tri. I dont want to think that. I dont want to think that my "best" is already been. Sounds very selfish, especially after what me and hubby has been through. I know that we got through that tough time cause I knew how to keep it going and just having great endurance to get to the other side.
I work full time, have no kids- just my little year old bullmastiff.
I loved racing long as it was a huge stress reducer, helped to burn calories so I can eat more than 1000 cal a day and I could "out run the devil". I can run shuffle/walk about 60 min which has improved from a 30 min run earlier this summer. I can ride about 35 miles so oly distance is doable. I will focus on that this next year.
Just trying to re-do my self concept and find other wonderful things to do with all this free time. I am so blessed to have a healthy hubby and am really healthy overall with the exception of a bad hip. I know there is life after tris-what do you guys do????

Outside of family, work and SBR, I have very little time left, but if I could free up a chunk of time, I could find lots to do. I do garden, but even now I can plant more food than my family can eat without any significant effort, and I'm not really into flowers and other plants. I would swim if all I could do was low impact sports, but even if I couldn't swim, I'd have to find something physical to do.

Outside of that, I love woodworking. I have most of a shop in my garage and can make just about anything with what I have, and there are an endless amount of projects to work on. From small stuff like jewelry boxes, to larger furniture pieces. Either following a plan or designing one, finding the materials, making the cuts, putting it together, finishing it. I could start in the morning, forget to eat, and have the sun be setting before I knew it.

I also play the guitar, bass guitar, ukulele, and the piano and can kill a ton of hours on any one of those instruments on any given day, and I could even pick up more. I've always wanted to take on the violin.

I wouldn't mind learning a language or two.

I love to read, and I would even attempt to write. I would take a shot at short stories or even a novel if I honed my skills and had some serious time to devote.

This stuff is just off of the top of my head. There is a ton to do in life. You sound fortunate enough to have the time to do it.

2014-10-19 5:37 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

There sure is a lot to do in life. Lots of great things, actually. It is just a bit foreign right now. This weekend, I planted a bunch, walked to dog several times at the park, went to a neighbors and sat around the fire pit with a couple beers. Had a great weekend! We loved the fire pit so much we jsut came back from Lowes with one. Gonna fire it up in a few.
Now all I have to do is come to some understanding what amount of training will keep me healthy. Gotta finally get a grip on the eating thing now that thousands of calories are NOT being burned. Some will be burned, but not the volume I am used to.
I started training decades ago with weight training and I can still do that, I can do lots and I will. Just weird not packing my bike etc for a race this weekend.
Good luck all with the last races of the season! I hope to get the weight down a bit over the winter and get in oly shape in the spring. Maybe a hip injection will be the ticket as well although my ortho doc said it looked too far gone for that. Second opinion wouldn't hurt.
2014-10-20 9:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Swim. Encourage your hubby to try swimming assuming the risk of infection has passed and he has nothing else to worry about.
2014-10-20 10:13 PM
in reply to: #5061200

User image

New user
Sanford, Florida
I wish you all the best with your new life. There are great fun things to do and life is beautiful regardless.

Have fun and do what makes you happy.

It's normal to have a little identity crisis when something falls away like that.
2014-10-21 6:33 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Left Brain

Well, that's all good stuff.  I could be satisfied with that.  I'd probably add sitting by the pool, ribs on the smoker, sipping a beer or two.

I agree, but would add golf....lots of golf.

For the OP....Triathlons are a means to an end for me. What I mean is I participate in races to force me to workout everyday for my health. I am a MOP'er and very happy with that. Your goals are your goals. Completing a HIM or a sprint does not define you. Getting up, working out in whatever form your body allows and testing yourself are all good accomplishments and goals. I think doing what your body allows is an accomplishment in and of itself.

Edited by hessma 2014-10-21 6:35 AM
2014-10-21 9:27 AM
in reply to: hessma

User image

Pro

Originally posted by hessma
Originally posted by Left Brain

I agree, but would add golf....lots of golf. For the OP....Triathlons are a means to an end for me. What I mean is I participate in races to force me to workout everyday for my health. I am a MOP'er and very happy with that. Your goals are your goals. Completing a HIM or a sprint does not define you. Getting up, working out in whatever form your body allows and testing yourself are all good accomplishments and goals. I think doing what your body allows is an accomplishment in and of itself.

And fishing.....fishing is just good for you.

2014-10-21 9:54 AM

User image

I've been reading this one a couple times a day since you posted it.

I've done a handful of HIMs and a couple IMs. Started getting slower and couldn't go as far and that got shorter and shorter as time went on.

Turned out I had kidney cancer.

Got that taken out and doc says it would probably be a good idea not to run any more. That almost didn't bug me because I hate running but I really like the race day atmosphere. Paying for races kept me going and training and staying healthy. It's a motivator for me, "Hey I paid for the race, so... Gotta train"

I've switched over to pretty much exclusively cycling. I really like my bike so this isn't a great pain but now I'm signing up for century rides with the same "I paid for it so I've gotta do the training for it" Sometimes it works, mostly it does.

But make sure to notice any symptoms of getting in a poor me rut and starting to shut out the rest of the world. That happens a bit with bit medical stuff. Races and organized rides helps with that too.

Bunch of rambling but I do completely understand what you're talking about

2014-10-21 9:59 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I've been thinking more about "life after triathlon" for the last year or so since I turned 60.  I know the sand is running out of the hourglass and that I won't be able to keep doing this stuff forever.  In particular, my need for recovery time is increasing.  I don't think at this point I could put in the volume of training required to do anything longer than an Oly without running myself into the ground.

I went thorugh some life threatening health issues about 15 years ago, so I feel lucky and blessed just to still be doing this stuff.  I appreciate the opportunities I've had and could give it up with no regrets if I had to.

I'm lucky that I've got a number of other less-strenuous hobbies and interests to spend my time on.  I've pretty much made triathlon my priority for the past couple of years and am looking forward to spending more time on my other hobbies in the near future. 

I'm thinking about cutiing back on the number of triathlons next year, maybe doing only three, but doing one or two masters swim meets instead.

Mark

2014-10-21 11:42 AM

Thanks guys for all the great suggestions! I haven't swum in months due to a disc herniation and swimming was the worst thing-worse than running. But much better now so I can get back in the pool.
I have been looking at a 10K or so around here this winter so that would be fine. It is going to take a bit of time redefining my self image. The last many years I knew I could blow of steam on a 100 mile ride or a 10 mile run. And I knew I was really fit and could take alot of punishment.
This year has been a fat zero for me training wise with the hubs in the hospital and alittle sweet puppy needing 24 hour care(it seems). Work is very demanding, as we all know, and the training at the very least helped with that.
I think life is in phases. For me, there was a weight lifting phase and I was tough there, competing in powerlifting-lasted several years.
Then the Get married and gain weight building a house phase-got up to 250# but was still active.
Then the triathlon phase-lost the weight, trained super hard and did things with this body I never dreamed. Don't remember what is is like to go on vacation and not prep for a race as well.
Now I see a "Balance" phase coming-a good balance of weights, short distance tris, fetching the golf ball for the hubs, vacay with the puppy! Sounds great actually. I guess I am an extremist a bit-but this body says to go hard, but rest hard too.
I think I will be OK....I just need to watch the calories
So for folks who are in the kick phase-do so with gusto. Go long when you can cause it teaches you about life-it sure is a marathon. Even when you aren't really running it anymore!
2014-10-21 3:42 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Champion
MA

When I went through something similar to you. A BT friend shared a blog post that had this in it:

It is never easy to redefine yourself, especially when something that has characterized you for many years. I realized that finding other tangible goals has eased the transition. We are always evolving; it is up to us to keep up...from blog of Joanne Ziegler

I raced from 2004-2011 and progressed from racing a lot, to focusing on an IM every year, plus if timing worked out doing cyclocross in the Fall. 

For me the races kept me focused on training. With training I kept my weight in check, I was doing something for me, and found it a great way to learn more about myself.  The sport was big part of my life. In 2010 I had some medical issues that progressed rapidly so that my knee is bad. I had big surgery with hopes I could continue to run for a few years. I had other medical issues as well. Now I can't walk and keep up with normal pacing walking. I'm trying to put off getting knee replacement until I'm closer to 60.  My last tri was IMFL in 2011, the following year both my parents died within 3 months and I spent much of the year helping while in hospice, and finally found out what was wrong with me, I was on a picc line for 8 months. 2012 I could have started again back training with focus on AB but that didn't inspire and motivate me like tris especially IMs. This year I rode my bike maybe 3 times. I used to love to ride my bike. Not sure why I don't ride just because it is fun, I suspect it is partly to do with the competitive part of me and knowing I will be slower/lower power and that might not be as rewarding or as fun as racing.

It has been a struggle. I still miss my tri life.

What I do now, we have two dogs that have puppies we raise, I have started quilting again, and started a long arm quilting business.

2014-10-21 6:38 PM

I would get the second opinion. Part of what I do is inject joints with steroids, and I have seen benefit in joints with end stage arthritis. Response is variable - some folks get lots of pain relief, some very little. But it's quick and easy, and worth a shot. Won't do anything to help the underlying pathology, but can really cut down on the pain and inflammation. Helps hold off the hip replacement for a while.

However it shakes out, best wishes. I feel lost at times when I can't race. I think tincture of time, as well as staying active with friends/family, is the answer.

2014-10-26 8:53 AM
in reply to: KathyG

Thanks Kathy. I have been following you a bit in the past and remember all this with the exception of your parents passing....so sorry to hear that.
Change is hard especially having to "give up" the activities that help you define you in a good way. But...we all have to change and grow. Frankly, our little puppy is a year old now and a great baby. If I had been racing, I would have missed her growning up and forming her personality. Time well spent. Just not me time-her time.
At times, hubby can walk faster that I can when the hip/back act up, and he has one leg! In reality, I have been passed at a race by amputees so that aint that tragic!
I quilt too and would love to know about your business-pm me if you take business through the mail!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Life after triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New York Times sez mid-life crisis = triathlon Pages: 1 2

Started by Corncub
Views: 2591 Posts: 28

2010-10-27 2:44 PM ToeKnail

My Picture is in USA Triathlon Life

Started by Marvarnett
Views: 1300 Posts: 23

2007-03-16 7:12 PM KiminON

Life Time Fitness Triathlon Registration

Started by chzzpt40
Views: 463 Posts: 1

2006-10-22 3:49 PM chzzpt40

Triathlon saved this dudes life

Started by ott13979
Views: 922 Posts: 7

2005-10-21 2:46 PM ott13979

so who were you pre-triathlon life? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by turqy
Views: 2270 Posts: 51

2005-07-18 8:20 PM Det
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 0
Well it is mid-life crisis time. I could get a mistress but I still think my wife is hot. Or I can abuse my body like I was still 19. Triathlon world here I come!!

date : May 7, 2008
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 2
Thousands of spectators lined the shore and bridges overhead. When the announcer said, “Welcome to the best day of your life,” the possibility was still there for all of us.
date : September 4, 2005
author : Michael
comments : 5
But just when I was beginning to think that life is consumed by only darkness, just out of my sight, there it was...A glimmer of light.

date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
“Too bad there’s not anything like this for triathletes.” There are a million books and articles on how to train. One of the toughest parts of triathlon training is how to fit them into everyday life.
date : April 17, 2005
author : Daniel Clout
comments : 5
I was humbled last year. My body shut down on me just before two World Championship events. I was originally in top form to medal in both, but my strength was sapped from me.

date : September 2, 2004
Sometimes life just isn’t fair! We all have situations come up from time to time that test our dedication to triathlon training.
comments : 1
I take for granted getting to train and how fortunate I am to have the health that I have. Life…it doesn’t seem fair and it’s not always fair.

I had a great experience being a volunteer, but used the time to educate myself on anything that could allow me to have a better race or pass something on to the readers at BT.