The Athletic Club of Columbus
42F / 6C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 29m 56s
Overall Rank = 164/10404
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 43/576
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:05, two waffles w/ peanut butter and some water. Got dressed and out the door around 5 to pick up my family.
Event warmup:

Arrived around 5:40, a little earlier than expected. Walked around and checked out the new start/finish line area.
Run
  • 1h 29m 56s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I PR'd by over 2 minutes and reached one of my personal goals of running a sub-90min half. That said, this one was more of a fight throughout to hold pace. Between miles 3 and 4 I got a pretty sharp side cramp that I was able to run through until it let up around mile 6. I started to fall off the pace group around mile 9 because of general fatigue ... I was just losing some steam. Grabbed some gatorade at the mile 10 aid station, took one sip and dropped the cup because my stomach said 'no way'. I was still holding solid paces between 10 and 12, but my legs were much heavier, turnover had slowed down and I was really fighting it. Finally kicked into my closing gear around 12.8 and forced myself to run until the wheels fell off (4:57 avg over the last .3)! Hit the line, saw I had broken 90 minutes according to my watch, and had a big sigh of relief.

A-goal: sub 90min, 6:52 min/mile pace
Actual: 1:29:56, 6:52 min/mile pace

All miles were below 7min expect the first which was right on 7:00.
What would you do differently?:

Training consistency and focus over the past 12 weeks left room for improvement. I passed up a lot of speed work routines that may have helped. Also dealing with some foot pain from running in shoes long past their life cycle. Raced on brand new shoes that only had 4 miles (1 workout) on them ... bad planning on my part.
Post race
Warm down:

I was freezing during the race, which got worse when I stopped. Wrapped a space blanket around me and wandered through the recovery area. Stretched lightly, drank a lot of fluids (water, chocolate milk) and had some snacks.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inconsistent training routine

Event comments:

This was a new setup for the Columbus Marathon. New start/finish lines, course changes throughout. I felt like this event did not live up to the standards that I have come to expect (and appreciate) over the previous 4 years. Case in point, when I finished, mind you behind 163 other racers, I was told that the finisher medals weren't ready yet and that nobody knew where they were. No big deal, really, but it is just an example of some of the disorganization this year. Not sure if I'll be back next year.

Last updated: 2014-10-13 12:00 AM
Running
01:29:56 | 13.1 miles | 06m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 43/576
Overall: 164/10404
Performance: Good
Course: Around downtime Columbus. Mostly flat with some rolling hills throughout
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-10-19 1:47 PM

Subject: Columbus Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbus Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Columbus Half Marathon

Started by Lora109
Views: 1460 Posts: 5

2010-10-19 1:40 PM Lora109

Columbus Half Marathon

Started by spain412
Views: 1005 Posts: 4

2010-10-18 11:57 AM ahohl

Columbus Half Marathon

Started by Jungle Jenn
Views: 606 Posts: 1

2009-02-17 2:57 PM Jungle Jenn

Columbus Half Marathon

Started by jacasa
Views: 1558 Posts: 2

2008-10-20 5:46 PM David tri's

LaSalle Bank Columbus Half Marathon

Started by gsontag
Views: 1381 Posts: 4

2007-04-18 12:04 PM wsm9363
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.