General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another Wheel Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-20 3:08 AM

Subject: Another Wheel Question
I almost feel bad re-hashing this Q for the umpteenth time, BUT after a quick search, I didn't find what I was looking for, so...

New Flo 60/90 combo

OR

Used Zipp Firecrest 404/808 combo in perfect condition. These are the slightly older ones with the silver hubs, but new enough that they have the dimples and firecrest shape. Price difference notwithstanding.

It seems most of these "Flo Vs." threads pit new Flo's against super old (pre-firecrest) Zipps, etc., so...what would you go for and why? Any discernible difference in speed or performance?

2014-10-20 4:36 AM
in reply to: ballisticmonkey3

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Another Wheel Question
Originally posted by ballisticmonkey3

I almost feel bad re-hashing this Q for the umpteenth time, BUT after a quick search, I didn't find what I was looking for, so...

New Flo 60/90 combo

OR

Used Zipp Firecrest 404/808 combo in perfect condition. These are the slightly older ones with the silver hubs, but new enough that they have the dimples and firecrest shape. Price difference notwithstanding.

It seems most of these "Flo Vs." threads pit new Flo's against super old (pre-firecrest) Zipps, etc., so...what would you go for and why? Any discernible difference in speed or performance?

I don't believe anyone actually has data on aero performance. Especially data with a frame and rider. I have a feeling they would be pretty close. The Zipp would probably win.

CHeck the weight. While not that important, I suspect your decision will be the sum of small differences. I suspect the Zipps will be ligther
The Zipps are UCI legal if ever you decide to do a UCI sanctionned race. Not many people do, but you never know

The only downside of the zipp, is that if it has a carbon braking surface and your training wheels are aluminum, you have to swap pads. If you train and race with them, no problem

The Flos would have a warranty, the Zipps probably not. See if both/either would have a crash replacement policy. Especially if you use them for training.

As much as I like the Flos, the Zipps are cooler but this isn't fact, it's an opinion

2014-10-20 5:45 AM
in reply to: marcag

Yeah, it's mostly the weight that bothers me. I know aero trumps weight, but since the price difference here is so small, I figure lighter is probably better (and as I recall, the difference is 1 lb and 2 oz., which is a lot.). Zipps definitely don't have a replacement policy. I suppose the only thing I am really worried about is the actual rim shape- I've heard that the Flo's actually are faster than the older, non FC Zipps and I wanted to make sure this would not be the case with the FC's.
2014-10-20 5:50 AM
in reply to: ballisticmonkey3

User image

Of those two, flip a coin, catch the coin and close your hand before you look at the coin.

Whichever side you want it to come up, buy that set of wheels.

2014-10-20 6:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ballisticmonkey3

Yeah, it's mostly the weight that bothers me. I know aero trumps weight, but since the price difference here is so small, I figure lighter is probably better (and as I recall, the difference is 1 lb and 2 oz., which is a lot.). Zipps definitely don't have a replacement policy. I suppose the only thing I am really worried about is the actual rim shape- I've heard that the Flo's actually are faster than the older, non FC Zipps and I wanted to make sure this would not be the case with the FC's.

I wonder who knows that for sure. The only way to know that is to measure, with a bike, with a rider.
There was an independant company in Germany that tested a bunch of wheels last year and the FCs did come out on top.
They also tested them on a bunch of different bikes. FLOs were not in the tests.

Also look at the difference between pre and FC

This chart, as does the German tests, shows the FC does really really well at that higher yaw angle.

Edited by marcag 2014-10-20 6:29 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another Wheel Question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

tri wheel questions - race v. training wheels

Started by ff27
Views: 2669 Posts: 17

2009-02-09 12:55 PM rc63413

Disk/aero wheel question

Started by jszat
Views: 926 Posts: 7

2006-07-18 10:51 AM amiine

Disc/ deep rimmed wheel questions

Started by MobAlTri
Views: 908 Posts: 11

2005-08-23 9:06 PM MobAlTri

Newbie wheel question

Started by dgunthert
Views: 594 Posts: 4

2004-08-03 10:41 AM tbone

bike wheels question

Started by trilori
Views: 676 Posts: 6

2004-05-24 8:27 AM sherrick
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job

date : August 7, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Looking to rent or try-before-you-buy race wheels for your next triathlon? Coach AJ checks out the service at RaceDay Wheels.
date : December 15, 2008
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?

date : August 5, 2008
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.