of 2

2014-10-21 1:53 PM
in reply to: EKH

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: Trainer Recomendations
Originally posted by EKH

Originally posted by 3mar

As I'm reading these I started to do some Google research as well. Although I think there would be benefits to spending the extra cash on a fluid trainer, I won't be using it very often where I live (especially going into the winter which is 6 months of just about perfect weather). So I really want to stay under $200 and I found a couple options. It looks like it is either a wind trainer or a mag trainer at that price point. The CycleOps wind trainer caught my eye. Any input on that? I realize it's noisy, but that's not much of an issue for me. It sounds like wind trainers are smoother than magnetic trainers and offer variable resistance when going faster. Any input on wind vs magnetic?

If you want to stay under $200 you need to look at Travel Trac Comp Fluid trainer at Performance bike for $139.99. Great trainer at a great price also got a good review from DC Rainwater.

^^^^ http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1111869_-1...

I have this before it was Travel Trac, same design though. I think I have been using it for 6 years with no problems. I'm sure the Cycle ops and KK are nicer but if you are on a tight budget or just can't justify the higher price, you will not be dis-appointed with this.

2014-10-21 2:46 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Franklin, TN

I have the Kurt Kinetic fluid.  One thing to keep in mind...If you want to use Trainer Road and their virtual power feature for workouts (assuming you don't have a power meter) you'll need a trainer that is on their supported trainer list.  You can check which trainers they support for virtual power here... http://www.trainerroad.com/equipment-checker

2014-10-21 4:09 PM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

I also bought a KK road machine recently and I'm very happy with it so far. I got it used from a guy who had barely used it-- paid him $200 and it's like new. My buddy gave me a wheel to use on the trainer. I've only used it a couple times so far, but I know I'll get good use out of it this summer.

I don't have a speed/cadence sensor so I can't use TrainerRoad yet-- not sure I will (the speed/cadence sensor is cheap, but then there's also the membership to TR). I like numbers but I do tend to get obsessed, and I still have a long ways to improve in cycling that I can do by feel. I don't think I need virtual power numbers now.
2014-10-21 4:29 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by jennifer_runs
I don't have a speed/cadence sensor so I can't use TrainerRoad yet-- not sure I will (the speed/cadence sensor is cheap, but then there's also the membership to TR). I like numbers but I do tend to get obsessed, and I still have a long ways to improve in cycling that I can do by feel. I don't think I need virtual power numbers now.

Golden Cheetah will do it for free.
You will be amazed at how quickly you can progress when training with virtual power.
2014-10-21 5:42 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by brucemorgan

Originally posted by DanielG Find a used CycleOps Fluid 2 or a Kurt Kinetic fluid of any model. Buy it. You'll never outgrow it.

Just about everyone with either of these is very satisfied.

I have one of each of these.  Given the choice, I would go with the KK.  The Cycleops works great but I've had to send it for replacement twice due to leaking.  That said, they replaced it no questions asked - the first time I even told them that I had bought it second hand off ebay.

2014-10-21 6:09 PM
in reply to: EKH

User image

New user
Green Bay, WI
Originally posted by EKH

DC Rainmaker has some good reviews on different trainers. It really helped me make my decision when my last trainer went belly up and I had to buy a new one.

I took his recommendation and got the travel trac fluid + at performance bike and I really like it.

2014-10-22 8:40 AM
in reply to: ec1974

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by ec1974

Another thing to take into consideration is that you'll need a trainer tire. You can probably find one for $25-$30 but if you're still going to be riding outside most of the time you'll have to switch tires or buy a spare wheel with the trainer mounted. Not necessarily a huge deal because the wheel doesn't have to be great quality but an additional cost nonetheless unless you want to keep changing tires back and forth.

I didn't realize you needed a different tire too. Is that because the trainer will wear it down? Or do you get one that is made of a different material made for trainers?

Also, if you use a different wheel, how do you tune the rear derailleur? Are the gears on different wheels typically close enough or do you have to adjust it every time?
2014-10-22 9:29 AM

User image

I didn't realize you needed a different tire too. Is that because the trainer will wear it down? Or do you get one that is made of a different material made for trainers?

Also, if you use a different wheel, how do you tune the rear derailleur? Are the gears on different wheels typically close enough or do you have to adjust it every time?

You don't NEED one but road tires will wear out fast on a trainer. Heat and all that. Yes, the tire is made for a trainer.

Some rear wheels might need slight barrel adjustments but mostly no adjustment is needed at all when you switch wheels.

As an aside and as a completely opportune moment for me, I happen to have a spare 10 speed wheel and trainer tire that I have no use for since I went to 11 speed. If you're interested

2014-10-22 9:34 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I don't use a trainer tire, I just use an older regular tire that isn't suitable for regular use anymore.  Keep in mind that once I switch to the trainer for the winter, the bike is likely staying there for months at a time.

I have used good, regular tires on the trainer when it was only going to be one workout.  Some people say the trainer chews their tires up, I don't seem to have that issue.

2014-10-22 9:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by ec1974 Another thing to take into consideration is that you'll need a trainer tire. You can probably find one for $25-$30 but if you're still going to be riding outside most of the time you'll have to switch tires or buy a spare wheel with the trainer mounted. Not necessarily a huge deal because the wheel doesn't have to be great quality but an additional cost nonetheless unless you want to keep changing tires back and forth.
I didn't realize you needed a different tire too. Is that because the trainer will wear it down? Or do you get one that is made of a different material made for trainers? Also, if you use a different wheel, how do you tune the rear derailleur? Are the gears on different wheels typically close enough or do you have to adjust it every time?
You don't "need" a different tire, some tires will wear more quickly than others.  Since I do a majority of my riding on the trainer I use a dedicated trainer tire that has lasted the past 5 years and is still going.  If you are only going to use it sparingly and you ride a Gatorskin tire (or even GP4000s) I wouldn't worry about switching tires.  Other tires I cannot vouch for on trainer life.  I do know that my old (2007 era) worn out Rubio Pro Slick tire lasted 2 sessions before the cords were showing and there were little rubber pieces all by the trainer.  It was a soft tire and always picked up road debris.

I used a different wheel for a bit too.  When I swapped wheels I had to fine tune the derailleur via the barrel adjustment, no big deal.  I also bought the chainwhip and lockring tools to move the cassette from one wheel to the other, painless to do after watching a youtube video.

Edited by Donto 2014-10-22 9:44 AM
2014-10-22 10:36 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Dang...every time I think I've got this sport figured out, there's another thing.

Well, I'm going to use the trainer probably once a week regularly, and then whenever it rains. So weeks like this, where we are getting some tropical disturbance thing and it's going to rain for five days straight, I will use it for 2 or 3 workouts in a row. I'm using the stock tires that came with my 2014 Felt B16, I'm not sure what they are.

For use once a week, do you think I should get a trainer tire, or might it be ok? I'm hesitant to mess with the tuning of my rear derailleur. I have yet to get the "touch" and just mess it up.

I looked it up and the wheels are: Vittoria Zaffiro Slick, 700 x 23c

2014-10-22 10:37 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by DanielG

You don't NEED one but road tires will wear out fast on a trainer. Heat and all that. Yes, the tire is made for a trainer.

Some rear wheels might need slight barrel adjustments but mostly no adjustment is needed at all when you switch wheels.

As an aside and as a completely opportune moment for me, I happen to have a spare 10 speed wheel and trainer tire that I have no use for since I went to 11 speed. If you're interested

Can you inbox me what you are looking for for the wheel?
2014-10-22 10:58 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Personally I would just use the tires you have.

2014-10-22 11:54 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by axteraa

Personally I would just use the tires you have.

Based on personal experience with a Kurt Kinetic, I don't both with a trainer tire I just use an old tire (usually a Gatorskin) on a dedicated trainer wheel.  That Gatorskin gets very slick over time and there is no way I'd ride outside with it. When it wears out fully I may buy a trainer tire, but if I happen to have an old tire I'll just use that.

When swapping wheels there is some misalignment / twiddling needed with the rear derailleur.  Usually I have my tri bike on the trainer, so I can change the bar end shifters from index shifting to friction shifting and that's that.  With brifters you may have to twiddle the cable adjuster barrel.

I once got lazy and didn't want to swap wheels, and just put my race wheels with race tires (Michelins) on the trainer.  And then I just left it there for a  few more rides.  And then found the noticeable wear line on the tire, much more than I expected.  I wouldn't do that again.

2014-10-22 12:10 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Donto

Originally posted by ec1974 Another thing to take into consideration is that you'll need a trainer tire. You can probably find one for $25-$30 but if you're still going to be riding outside most of the time you'll have to switch tires or buy a spare wheel with the trainer mounted. Not necessarily a huge deal because the wheel doesn't have to be great quality but an additional cost nonetheless unless you want to keep changing tires back and forth.
I didn't realize you needed a different tire too. Is that because the trainer will wear it down? Or do you get one that is made of a different material made for trainers? Also, if you use a different wheel, how do you tune the rear derailleur? Are the gears on different wheels typically close enough or do you have to adjust it every time?
You don't "need" a different tire, some tires will wear more quickly than others.  Since I do a majority of my riding on the trainer I use a dedicated trainer tire that has lasted the past 5 years and is still going.  If you are only going to use it sparingly and you ride a Gatorskin tire (or even GP4000s) I wouldn't worry about switching tires.  Other tires I cannot vouch for on trainer life.  I do know that my old (2007 era) worn out Rubio Pro Slick tire lasted 2 sessions before the cords were showing and there were little rubber pieces all by the trainer.  It was a soft tire and always picked up road debris.

I used a different wheel for a bit too.  When I swapped wheels I had to fine tune the derailleur via the barrel adjustment, no big deal.  I also bought the chainwhip and lockring tools to move the cassette from one wheel to the other, painless to do after watching a youtube video.

Are you changing the cassette so that you don't have to worry about the tuning?
2014-10-22 12:47 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

No, I had to fine to the barrel adjustment as the two wheels had two different hubs so things were a tiny bit different.  Since most of my miles were on the trainer, I didn't feel like buying another cassette as my cassette was already a close ratio type (13-25 10spd, now 12-15 11 spd), which works best on a trainer, so I opted to swap the cassette.  Literally takes less than 30" to do once up to speed with the process.  This way my cassette and chain are wearing together, not that its that big of a deal.

I now have 2 wheel sets, Felt TTR2's and just acquired FLO's.  On the TTR I rebuilt it with a FLO hub when I went 11 speed and the FLO is obviously using the same 11spd hub. When I recently swapped the cassette and put the FLO's on I didn't have to do any fine tuning to the derailleur since the hubs are the same.

2014-10-22 1:07 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Ok, I think I'm getting this. I have my old aluminum road bike with gator skins that I was planning on selling. It is a 10-speed same as my felt and just for the heck of it, I swapped out the rear wheels and put it on the trainer. Seems to work ok. The shifting seems fine too. Is this some faux paus, or is this alright to do. If it's ok to do, now I have to weigh keeping the old bike just for the rear wheel, or buying a dedicated wheel and tire for the trainer.
2014-10-22 2:24 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

I don't understand all this swapping out stuff.  I assume you have extra tires for your bike...if you don't it's probably a good idea to have a set handy.  I purchased Continental GP 4000s for my DA4 and took the Victorrias off.  When it's time to put the bike on the trainer, I simply take the back tire off, install one of the Victorrias and I'm good to go. 

FWIW, Probikekit.com use to carry the GP4000s for less than $40/each but all I saw on their website were the GP4000s II...a bit more expensive.  Wiggle.com still carries the 4000s ... looks like they are $37.76/each.

2014-10-22 2:37 PM

User image

I have a different cassette (of the same gearing) on each of my wheels.

Get a chain checker.
When your chain hits .75, order a new one
After you get the new chain, the next time you go to clean your chain, just break it and put the new one on.

You won't have to change out your cassettes but about every other year or so.

It's when your chain starts "stretching" that your cassette really starts showing wear.

2014-10-22 2:50 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by 3mar Ok, I think I'm getting this. I have my old aluminum road bike with gator skins that I was planning on selling. It is a 10-speed same as my felt and just for the heck of it, I swapped out the rear wheels and put it on the trainer. Seems to work ok. The shifting seems fine too. Is this some faux paus, or is this alright to do. If it's ok to do, now I have to weigh keeping the old bike just for the rear wheel, or buying a dedicated wheel and tire for the trainer.
Buy a cheap set of tires to replace the gatorskins and sell the bike.  Use the Gatorskins for trainer tires and outdoor riding, replace with the other GS when the 1st one wears out.  Enjoy the trainer pain and suffering! 

Oh, I do all my trainer riding in the garage, in the FL summer 3 fans are barely enough for long stuff >1hr.  At one point this year I resorted to AM rides when it was "cooler" but leaving the garage door closed and opening the door to the house with a fan pushing in cooler AC air, much better.  I respected the wife's wishes and didn't put the setup in the front living room, that we don't even use!

2014-10-22 2:57 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

, Illinois
Originally posted by Jason N

As someone who also lives in an area where you can ride outdoors 95% of the time, my advice is to forget the trainer and just go for a run when it's bad outside.  If you're anything like me, your trainer will just collect dust.

Now if you are time constrained, or live in an area with bad roads, bad traffic, etc...then maybe it's worth it to you even though weather isn't an issue.  But man, I have to be crazy to ride the trainer when I have perfectly good training grounds outside.  Not to say that a trainer can't be as good, or better of a workout...it's just that the main reason I ride is because I enjoy it...not because it's my job to get faster/fitter.  If I'm not enjoying it...I likely won't ride.

Hands down, best advice given in this thread

2014-10-22 3:25 PM
in reply to: ec1974

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
From the post above, it seems like you already got a trainer, but if you didn't, you can go to bikebling.com and get the KK Road Machine for 279.00 shipped with coupon code 15off300.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer Recomendations Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

bike trainer recomendations??

Started by JustinK
Views: 1199 Posts: 10

2008-09-15 2:17 PM ras26

Wheel Recomendations....on a budget!!!

Started by jmickle11
Views: 6298 Posts: 14

2008-01-27 5:30 PM chile7473

Wetsuit recomendations

Started by Magella
Views: 495 Posts: 3

2007-04-02 1:50 PM Tri-It

Wetsuit Recomendations

Started by jmickle11
Views: 883 Posts: 3

2007-01-03 10:34 PM Ken.Mierke

recomendations for repair gear

Started by redbullgt337
Views: 568 Posts: 4

2004-07-28 2:30 PM domlazz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 25, 2012
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
This article will discuss the differences between TrainerRoad and PowerTap's power numbers and how to best use each of them.

date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.
date : November 5, 2010
author : FitWerx
Do you struggle to hold your power output indoors versus outdoors? The keys to this problem are due to lack of cooling and the flywheel effect.

date : February 4, 2009
author : mikericci
Here are our most popular questions for training during the off season. Everything from treadmills to heart rate monitors to core strength.
date : January 3, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
We review the Halo Swim Trainer and how it can help the 'high elbow catch' part of your swim stroke along with your swimming tempo.

date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.
date : December 3, 2008
author : dexter
comments : 15
What are rollers? How can rollers help your bike training? Learn how to use your first set of rollers without doing too much bodily harm to yourself.

date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
As the Holiday season approaches and temperatures steadily drop, triathletes become faced with a difficult decision, to ride or not to ride.