General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer Recomendations Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-10-21 5:20 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: Trainer Recomendations
In honor of the yet-to-be-named tropical event, disturbance, whatever you want to call it, on the way to South Florida that has been giving us strong thunderstorms, and will continue to through this weekend, I am thinking about picking up a trainer. 95% of the time I can ride outside all year round, so I just need something for times like these when we get 3 days straight of heavy rain. From what I have seen, trainers range from $75-$300 and up. So what is the difference in design? What do you pay for when you get a more expensive one? Like I said, I won't be using it often, so I want to get away as cheap as possible, but not get something that will either fall apart, or is so rickety that I hate using it. But I certainly don't need one that simulates races, etc. Any advice?

2014-10-21 5:34 AM
in reply to: #5061636

Subject: RE: Trainer Recomendations
Noise and road like feel are the main differences. Fluid trainers tend to be quieter and give a more similar road like feel. If you're not going to use it that much and a trainer that's slightly noisier I would just get a decent magnetic trainer. Check Amazon for reviews but I bet you can get a decent one for under $100
2014-10-21 6:13 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
DC Rainmaker has some good reviews on different trainers. It really helped me make my decision when my last trainer went belly up and I had to buy a new one.
2014-10-21 6:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
If you are in this for the long haul, you may want to consider a few hundred dollars more and buy a really good trainer like a Kurt Kinetic with virtual power

When it's dark out, when you are time strapped, when the weather sucks or you simply want to do a 1hr, very high quality VO2 workout, you can't beat a trainer.

Also a great way to gauge performance improvements. I know you like that :-)

Edited by marcag 2014-10-21 6:18 AM
2014-10-21 6:19 AM

User image

Find a used CycleOps Fluid 2 or a Kurt Kinetic fluid of any model.
Buy it.

You'll never outgrow it.

2014-10-21 6:30 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by marcag

If you are in this for the long haul, you may want to consider a few hundred dollars more and buy a really good trainer like a Kurt Kinetic with virtual power

When it's dark out, when you are time strapped, when the weather sucks or you simply want to do a 1hr, very high quality VO2 workout, you can't beat a trainer.

I do love my data....

So what exactly are you paying for when going from the <$100 trainer up to the Kurt Kinetic? Is it quality things smoothness and noise? Or do the higher end trainers come with other extras that you pay for?

2014-10-21 6:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by 3mar

Originally posted by marcag

I do love my data....

So what exactly are you paying for when going from the <$100 trainer up to the Kurt Kinetic? Is it quality things smoothness and noise? Or do the higher end trainers come with other extras that you pay for?

With a Kinetic you are getting
- a very high qulity product. I believe it's a lifetime warranty
- a relatively smooth ride. Very simple, the faster you go, the more resistance the trainer puts out. You control the resistance by your cadence and gear selection

Kurt (and others) have a speed to power formula that is quite precise. The speed you can generate for a given power is close to flat no wind road conditions
2014-10-21 7:00 AM

User image

Veteran
I went with the cheap-o cycleops magnetic trainer at the beginning and still have it today (about 3 years later.) The trainer itself works fine but I am looking to upgrade. I don't care so much about the noice, although it is pretty noisy, but my problem is I can spin it out without too much effort. The KK or a good fluid can't be spun out. If I put down about 300 watts on mine I am in my biggest gear with no more resistance. I have heard the KK holding 1000 watt sprints without spinning out. Just a thought for you.
2014-10-21 7:06 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
As I'm reading these I started to do some Google research as well. Although I think there would be benefits to spending the extra cash on a fluid trainer, I won't be using it very often where I live (especially going into the winter which is 6 months of just about perfect weather). So I really want to stay under $200 and I found a couple options. It looks like it is either a wind trainer or a mag trainer at that price point. The CycleOps wind trainer caught my eye. Any input on that? I realize it's noisy, but that's not much of an issue for me. It sounds like wind trainers are smoother than magnetic trainers and offer variable resistance when going faster. Any input on wind vs magnetic?
2014-10-21 7:15 AM

User image

Oviedo, Florida
I have the Cyclops Fluid 2 and absolutely love it. Well... I love it and hate it. The trainer if fantastic, but it absolutely kicks my butt.

After my last HIM I was really disappointed with how things went on the bike. I felt like I was taking it easy, but I suffered greatly on the run. I think adding in some more quality sessions on the trainer will really help. Doing periodic TT on the trainer is also a great way to mark your progress.

I've had my trainer for about 2 years and it's still going strong.
2014-10-21 7:53 AM
in reply to: DanielG

Originally posted by DanielG

Find a used CycleOps Fluid 2 or a Kurt Kinetic fluid of any model.
Buy it.

You'll never outgrow it.

As others have stated look for a quality fluid trainer. I have a KK, so I am slightly biased toward their models but go with a fluid trainer. Go used if you want to save a few dollars. My wife purchased one for me as a Christmas gift a few years ago. We both agree it was the best idea she had for a gift. It works out great for both of us since we have two kids & are plenty busy. On the surface it might seem that you won't use it often so getting a wind trainer would be fine. However I think a quality trainer is one of the best investments you can make for training. I am willing to bet you will find yourself using it more often than you expected. I never planned to use it outside of the winter months. Now I use it year round.

2014-10-21 7:57 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
I have a tendency to go cheap and regret it after, and it sounds like this is one of those situations where you are best spending the extra money up front. I will go for the fluid trainer. I'm thinking the CycleOps Fluid 2 as that seems to be the most popular. Thanks everyone for your input!!
2014-10-21 8:15 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by 3mar I have a tendency to go cheap and regret it after, and it sounds like this is one of those situations where you are best spending the extra money up front. I will go for the fluid trainer. I'm thinking the CycleOps Fluid 2 as that seems to be the most popular. Thanks everyone for your input!!

I have 2 of the CycleOps Fluid 2s and found both of them on craigslist for less than half of new.  After a couple years, my first one started leaking fluid.  Call the manufacturer and they covered the unit under warranty even though I said it was purchased used.  They charged a little for the replacement unit, but not much.

Trainers are like other workout equipment - many people think it would be great to have, but a lot of them are just taking up space.  Thus, good deals to be had on slightly used equipment.

2014-10-21 8:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Picked up a Elite Turbo Muin and ordered a sensor to do the same. Once I get the official system working I will do a review. So far its super quiet & smooth(direct drive trainer). It also fits my sons Jr road bike.

I will have my other trainer at work for lunch hour sessions with my powertap.
2014-10-21 8:24 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by 3mar I have a tendency to go cheap and regret it after, and it sounds like this is one of those situations where you are best spending the extra money up front. I will go for the fluid trainer. I'm thinking the CycleOps Fluid 2 as that seems to be the most popular. Thanks everyone for your input!!
For $250 on this GL ad you get everything, KK Fluid with Pro flywheel, block, mat, top tube bra, bag and some DVD's.  Over in Ft Myers there's this KK & block for $100 but no pix.

I can tell you that KK customer service is top notch.  I have an older gray road trainer that I bought on CL and the L bolt stripped out on it, was a known issue.  I called and they over-nighted me a new upgraded bolt.

2014-10-21 8:50 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Originally posted by 3mar

As I'm reading these I started to do some Google research as well. Although I think there would be benefits to spending the extra cash on a fluid trainer, I won't be using it very often where I live (especially going into the winter which is 6 months of just about perfect weather). So I really want to stay under $200 and I found a couple options. It looks like it is either a wind trainer or a mag trainer at that price point. The CycleOps wind trainer caught my eye. Any input on that? I realize it's noisy, but that's not much of an issue for me. It sounds like wind trainers are smoother than magnetic trainers and offer variable resistance when going faster. Any input on wind vs magnetic?

If you want to stay under $200 you need to look at Travel Trac Comp Fluid trainer at Performance bike for $139.99. Great trainer at a great price also got a good review from DC Rainwater.

2014-10-21 9:22 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by DanielG Find a used CycleOps Fluid 2 or a Kurt Kinetic fluid of any model. Buy it. You'll never outgrow it.

Just about everyone with either of these is very satisfied.

2014-10-21 9:30 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by brucemorgan

Originally posted by DanielG Find a used CycleOps Fluid 2 or a Kurt Kinetic fluid of any model. Buy it. You'll never outgrow it.

Just about everyone with either of these is very satisfied.

IME Cycleops has excellent customer service.  My Fluid 2 started to drip oil after about 4 years of solid use.  After only a few minutes on the phone with their customer service department, they agreed to ship me a replacement unit no questions asked.  

2014-10-21 9:47 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Donto

For $250 on this GL ad you get everything, KK Fluid with Pro flywheel, block, mat, top tube bra, bag and some DVD's.  Over in Ft Myers there's this KK & block for $100 but no pix.

I can tell you that KK customer service is top notch.  I have an older gray road trainer that I bought on CL and the L bolt stripped out on it, was a known issue.  I called and they over-nighted me a new upgraded bolt.

Although those are both really good deals, either would be quite a hike for me to drive.
2014-10-21 9:49 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Even with all the store in the Miami area, I'm having a really hard time finding a KK or CycleOps fluid trainer in stock.

The only fluid trainer I've been able to find is the Giant Cyclotron Fluid trainer. I haven't seen anyone comment on this one. Any input on it, good, bad or otherwise?
2014-10-21 10:09 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

I think the KK is more popular around here, probably due to REI selling them. And yeah, don't go cheap on things like trainers. Penny wise pound foolish.

2014-10-21 11:02 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

, Illinois
I picked up a Cycle Ops 2 fluid trainer last weekend on Craigslist for $140 with a mat. I didn't really want the mat but he was moving and looking to get rid of stuff. I think without the mat I could have gotten him to $125. My thinking was that this is used exercise equipment and we all know how much the average person uses home exercise equipment. I wouldn't buy from someone that is an avid cyclist but there are plenty of people out there selling last years New Year's resolution.
2014-10-21 1:08 PM
in reply to: ec1974

User image

, Illinois
Another thing to take into consideration is that you'll need a trainer tire. You can probably find one for $25-$30 but if you're still going to be riding outside most of the time you'll have to switch tires or buy a spare wheel with the trainer mounted. Not necessarily a huge deal because the wheel doesn't have to be great quality but an additional cost nonetheless unless you want to keep changing tires back and forth.
2014-10-21 1:11 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
Just to echo others...I have a KK Fluid and LOVE IT! I got it from REI when they had a 20% off sale, so saved a ton of money for a brand new unit.

Hoping to get the power unit for it for my birthday this month!

I used to have a Cycleops Fluid trainer, but never liked it and barely used it. Sold it to a friend and got the KK - so glad I did!

After a bike crash in May, I was doing only trainer rides every weekend (and letting my husband do some training of his own on the weekends).
The kids can be playing/watching TV in the other room and the trainer is quiet enough that it doesn't bother anyone.

2014-10-21 1:17 PM

User image

As someone who also lives in an area where you can ride outdoors 95% of the time, my advice is to forget the trainer and just go for a run when it's bad outside.  If you're anything like me, your trainer will just collect dust.

Now if you are time constrained, or live in an area with bad roads, bad traffic, etc...then maybe it's worth it to you even though weather isn't an issue.  But man, I have to be crazy to ride the trainer when I have perfectly good training grounds outside.  Not to say that a trainer can't be as good, or better of a workout...it's just that the main reason I ride is because I enjoy it...not because it's my job to get faster/fitter.  If I'm not enjoying it...I likely won't ride.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer Recomendations Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

bike trainer recomendations??

Started by JustinK
Views: 1199 Posts: 10

2008-09-15 2:17 PM ras26

Wheel Recomendations....on a budget!!!

Started by jmickle11
Views: 6298 Posts: 14

2008-01-27 5:30 PM chile7473

Wetsuit recomendations

Started by Magella
Views: 495 Posts: 3

2007-04-02 1:50 PM Tri-It

Wetsuit Recomendations

Started by jmickle11
Views: 883 Posts: 3

2007-01-03 10:34 PM Ken.Mierke

recomendations for repair gear

Started by redbullgt337
Views: 568 Posts: 4

2004-07-28 2:30 PM domlazz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 25, 2012
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
This article will discuss the differences between TrainerRoad and PowerTap's power numbers and how to best use each of them.

date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.
date : November 5, 2010
author : FitWerx
Do you struggle to hold your power output indoors versus outdoors? The keys to this problem are due to lack of cooling and the flywheel effect.

date : February 4, 2009
author : mikericci
Here are our most popular questions for training during the off season. Everything from treadmills to heart rate monitors to core strength.
date : January 3, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
We review the Halo Swim Trainer and how it can help the 'high elbow catch' part of your swim stroke along with your swimming tempo.

date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.
date : December 3, 2008
author : dexter
comments : 15
What are rollers? How can rollers help your bike training? Learn how to use your first set of rollers without doing too much bodily harm to yourself.

date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
As the Holiday season approaches and temperatures steadily drop, triathletes become faced with a difficult decision, to ride or not to ride.