General Discussion Triathlon Talk » oh no, not enough time! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-21 3:06 PM

naperville, Illinois
Subject: oh no, not enough time!
Bib numbers were just posted for my upcoming Ironman and I am suddenly overwhelmed with panic. I have done 5 100 mile rides, but the longest I have done in the last 6 weeks is 65 because the weather turned very sour. I have been doing a lot of miles running, and ok with the swimming. I am very worried about the bike leg. I feel so unfit and not ready for this. Does everyone panic like this one month out, and if so, what do you do to get your mind back in the I can do this side again?

2014-10-21 3:28 PM
in reply to: Raansnel

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: oh no, not enough time!

Pretty common to feel that way.  I've got an Oly in 2-1/2 weeks (my A race for the year).  I've been faithfully following a 20-week training plan but as I get closer, I'm getting the emotional urge to cram more workouts in so I'll be "ready". 

I just keep telling myself that I need to trust my training.  It's hard to do, but if you've done your training all along, the last few weeks aren't going to make that much difference anyway.

Good luck.

Mark

2014-10-22 6:13 AM
in reply to: #5061848

naperville, Illinois
lol, yes, thats exactly it - wanting to cram
2014-10-22 9:16 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Which race? If a flat course then indoor trainer rides would be good enough.

How fast were your 100 mike rides? And what do you plan between now and then

2014-10-22 9:25 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Raansnel

Bib numbers were just posted for my upcoming Ironman and I am suddenly overwhelmed with panic. I have done 5 100 mile rides, but the longest I have done in the last 6 weeks is 65 because the weather turned very sour. I have been doing a lot of miles running, and ok with the swimming. I am very worried about the bike leg. I feel so unfit and not ready for this. Does everyone panic like this one month out, and if so, what do you do to get your mind back in the I can do this side again?

Which Ironman are you doing? Florida? B2B?

Very common for all athletes heading into an Ironman, did I do enough? Wait that other athlete rode more 100 mile rides, am I fit? Panic training has no place for Ironmans, it will only serve you as a disservice. Trust your training and keep the frequency and specificity up. 3 rides of 1.5-2 hours per week of specificity is much better then one big long ride each week.
2014-10-22 5:32 PM

The last thing you want to do is attempt to make up for lost training time. Honestly if you are tapering and your last ride was 65 miles, you sound like you're in good shape especially considering you've done several 100 mile rides in the past so mentally you know you can do it. Trust me you're better off being a little undertrained than being overtrained for an IM. Just take it easy on the bike the first half. You might surprise yourself!!

2014-10-23 12:43 PM
in reply to: mcstrangelove

naperville, Illinois
Originally posted by mcstrangelove

The last thing you want to do is attempt to make up for lost training time. Honestly if you are tapering and your last ride was 65 miles, you sound like you're in good shape especially considering you've done several 100 mile rides in the past so mentally you know you can do it. Trust me you're better off being a little undertrained than being overtrained for an IM. Just take it easy on the bike the first half. You might surprise yourself!!

I hope so!
2014-10-23 12:54 PM

User image

Expert
lake forest, California

Definitely triathlon races is one test you can't cram for-

What's done is done- training is in the books

Time to enjoy the ride

2014-10-24 6:50 AM
in reply to: #5061970

naperville, Illinois
doing AZ. knocking out big miles yet this week, including a 100 miler, then it is taper and hope for, er, expect the best. yikes.
2014-10-24 6:55 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by bcagle25
Originally posted by Raansnel Bib numbers were just posted for my upcoming Ironman and I am suddenly overwhelmed with panic. I have done 5 100 mile rides, but the longest I have done in the last 6 weeks is 65 because the weather turned very sour. I have been doing a lot of miles running, and ok with the swimming. I am very worried about the bike leg. I feel so unfit and not ready for this. Does everyone panic like this one month out, and if so, what do you do to get your mind back in the I can do this side again?
Which Ironman are you doing? Florida? B2B? Very common for all athletes heading into an Ironman, did I do enough? Wait that other athlete rode more 100 mile rides, am I fit? Panic training has no place for Ironmans, it will only serve you as a disservice. Trust your training and keep the frequency and specificity up. 3 rides of 1.5-2 hours per week of specificity is much better then one big long ride each week.

^^All of this.^^

Everyone panics before their first and feels like they didn't do enough / aren't ready.  This isn't a test in school...You can't cram for it.  You've done what you've done, and that's what you've got to work with.  Ben's advice of 3 short-to-medium distance rides per week being superior to one long ride is spot-on.  A successful race is going to be the result of not doing anything dumb the next few weeks (like trying to cram training!), and a good race plan based on your fitness level and abilities with smart execution.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » oh no, not enough time! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Not enough time to train - what to do?

Started by LPJmom
Views: 1488 Posts: 17

2013-01-18 10:10 PM chayes

Is There Not Enough Time?

Started by yankee99999
Views: 1189 Posts: 7

2012-08-21 7:55 PM djrigby9

Oh, oh! I want in -- marathon prediction time

Started by trishie
Views: 1575 Posts: 18

2012-03-06 9:37 PM twquigmd

oh noes!!!

Started by orphious
Views: 1500 Posts: 3

2010-09-10 8:02 AM bcart1991

Cold = Not enough fuel?

Started by lexus1299
Views: 1373 Posts: 9

2007-11-23 9:59 PM AdventureBear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 13, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
I just did a sprint triathlon and want to sign up for my first olympic in six weeks. Is this enough time to train?

date : March 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
The doctor says not to run again. Ever. Needless to say, I’m not taking this very well. Can I recover from this? Where should I go from here?
date : November 28, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 5
Protein: How much is enough? Weight Management: How much exercise is enough? Also discussed is the link between weight and taste buds.

date : June 25, 2010
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 4
Ever wonder what’s best to eat during long runs, bike rides or other exercise that lasts more than 60 to 90 minutes?
date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?

date : May 7, 2008
author : katzchen55
comments : 3
My thanks to the triathlete community for being there when I need you. That’s the beautiful thing about triathletes. None of us are all right, and no one expects anyone else to be.
date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
comments : 0
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.

date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.