General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vaccine Injury - "Sirva" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-21 4:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
Subject: Vaccine Injury - "Sirva"
Well, forget plantar F, went into CVS for a flu shot today, and now Im 99% sure I have "Sirva" (Shoulder injury from Vaccination)
They gave me the shot very high up on the shoulder, in the joint area, and now cant move the arm almost at all. I think it went into the bursa.
It seems this can be permanent. Would sure love to hear a success story, but so far not finding any. So, public service announcement, if you get the flu shot, make sure you take notice of where they are swabbing your arm. I had no idea walking in there this would happen!

2014-10-22 4:55 AM
in reply to: mxr746

Subject: RE: Vaccine Injury - "Sirva"
This one reports on a similar issue and full resolution of symptoms but took around 3 months it seems

http://www.jabfm.org/content/25/6/919.full

Reminds me of a tetanus shot i had when i was a kid - felt like he hit the 'bone' when he went in. Upper arm swelled lots and needed a sling but was good to go after about a week or so.

Good luck -
2014-10-22 8:48 AM
in reply to: chewymix

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
Originally posted by chewymix

This one reports on a similar issue and full resolution of symptoms but took around 3 months it seems

http://www.jabfm.org/content/25/6/919.full

Reminds me of a tetanus shot i had when i was a kid - felt like he hit the 'bone' when he went in. Upper arm swelled lots and needed a sling but was good to go after about a week or so.

Good luck -

Thank you for that link chewy! Very good info there. Im 6' 140 lbs, so Im guessing the needle length didn't help either. The bandaid is directly over the shoulder joint. I guess its time for the spin bike....ugh...
2014-10-23 4:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Crossville, TN
My wife had a sterile abscess from a tetanus shot once. They had to pack her arm with gauze until it healed from the inside out. I about can't get a Dr. to give a shot anymore. They say they could do more harm than good. I hope you recover quickly.
2014-10-23 7:21 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I'd try the ice and Advil route for a few days, and if it doesn't resolve, see a doctor and find out what's going on. Just don't get another shot! Would hate to think it's permanent, but if it is......isn't that malpractice????

I hate shots (ever since having a bad reaction to a typhoid vaccine) and have had some very painful effects from injections into the muscle--in those cases the doctor/nurse blamed it on me being too tense when the needle went in, which in my case was probably true. injections like tetanus and Japanese encephalitis also commonly cause a lot of soreness, even spasm or muscle weakness in some people, but it's temporary. Not a doctor but can't figure out why a flu shot would be anywhere near a bursa--sounds like either it's actually muscular, or the person giving the shot didn't know what they were doing.
2014-12-17 12:16 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
Originally posted by Hot Runner

I'd try the ice and Advil route for a few days, and if it doesn't resolve, see a doctor and find out what's going on. Just don't get another shot! Would hate to think it's permanent, but if it is......isn't that malpractice????

I hate shots (ever since having a bad reaction to a typhoid vaccine) and have had some very painful effects from injections into the muscle--in those cases the doctor/nurse blamed it on me being too tense when the needle went in, which in my case was probably true. injections like tetanus and Japanese encephalitis also commonly cause a lot of soreness, even spasm or muscle weakness in some people, but it's temporary. Not a doctor but can't figure out why a flu shot would be anywhere near a bursa--sounds like either it's actually muscular, or the person giving the shot didn't know what they were doing.

Just a quick update, went to see the ortho and they took some x rays. The Doctor said that this has been happening much more frequently lately as he never used to see these injuries from vaccines, and the week I was there he saw 3 of us. He said everything should be back to normal in about 8 weeks, and he was right. Its doing much better this week. He said the shot went into the bursa, and then the entire area gets really inflamed from the injection. Still not happy sleeping on the shoulder, but strength is coming back very well lately. So, yeah,, just keep an eye on where they swab that arm if you're still getting a shot folks.

2020-04-30 7:02 PM
in reply to: #5061868

Hi there this just happened to me 2 weeks ago. It was a Tdap shot and it was too high. I’m still in pain after a cortisone shot. I was wondering how you are doing? Everything I read online looks like sirva is going to take months or even years to heal. I haven’t been able to work out this is killing me.
2020-05-19 1:30 AM
in reply to: Jenniferrunning

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vaccine Injury - "Sirva" Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Gardasil Vaccine

Started by runner
Views: 1701 Posts: 15

2008-08-20 9:31 PM runner

Advice - Injury

Started by sally888
Views: 1328 Posts: 5

2004-10-09 5:35 PM dhyte

personal injury on the bt boards

Started by autumn
Views: 1551 Posts: 5

2004-09-09 11:18 AM domlazz

running injuries

Started by bretcko1
Views: 1824 Posts: 7

2004-08-14 11:20 PM joeinco

Bike Injury Question

Started by Adam_NH
Views: 1530 Posts: 7

2004-07-15 5:02 PM Adam_NH
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 30, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
*The past few weeks I have had this dull, sometimes sharp pain around my ankle. It's on the front of my ankle (which is weird). I get the most pain when swimming.

date : January 25, 2013
This article covers a variety of injuries that can lead to knee pain.
date : December 22, 2011
comments : 2
Three sports medicine Doctors discuss the results of our user injury poll

date : January 9, 2010
author : Dr. Mark Klion
Dr. Mark Klion, NYC Triathlon co-medical director, gives an in-depth discussion on overuse injuries from triathlon training and what do for prevention and healing.
date : February 11, 2009
comments : 0
I have a pain on the far left side of my left foot, all the way to the left and a little in front of the heel. It hurts after I run for 45 minutes or so. It hurts pretty badly for the next 48 hours.

date : February 11, 2008
As I begin to ramp up my training I was wondering if there is any evidence of strength training or weight lifting for reducing injuries?
date : May 8, 2007
Do you have any ideas about why my body does not fully heal these many muscle injuries and is having an especially difficult time healing my calf?

date : October 31, 2004
author : tmwelshy
To prevent a mental breakdown before you even get to the starting line, use the winter months to set goals, build your base, vary your workouts, cut back on training and throw in some variety.