General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Never been to TX-doing Austin this weekend Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-21 8:51 PM

Regular
Tempe, AZ
Subject: Never been to TX-doing Austin this weekend
Hey Texas Peeps....I am traveling from AZ this weekend to race in Austin 70.3. I have never been to TX so was hoping to see if any of you recommend some good places to eat in Austin, preferably BBQ. Where would you go after a race in Austin if you could only pick one place?

Also...I am driving to Dallas on Monday to see a friend. I am a Cowboys fan and would love to know of a few good bars to watch cowboys games. Any advice appreciated!

Thanks

2014-10-22 6:07 PM
in reply to: amills1210

User image

Conroe, Texas
Subject: RE: Never been to TX-doing Austin this weekend
Originally posted by amills1210

Hey Texas Peeps....I am traveling from AZ this weekend to race in Austin 70.3. I have never been to TX so was hoping to see if any of you recommend some good places to eat in Austin, preferably BBQ. Where would you go after a race in Austin if you could only pick one place?

Also...I am driving to Dallas on Monday to see a friend. I am a Cowboys fan and would love to know of a few good bars to watch cowboys games. Any advice appreciated!

Thanks

Well, if you were going to Houston I could hook you up for sure, maybe even San Antonio, but I know nothing of Dallas or Austin as far as food goes. My friend JackieP, a member here is from Austin, currently in Florida on business, but I'm sure she would be more then happy to point you in the right direction. I will post a link to another thread and see if we can get her here.
2014-10-22 8:55 PM
in reply to: amills1210

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by amills1210

Thanks

Good luck in the race. I volunteered on the bike course for that race a couple of years ago.

#1 Franklin BBQ (be prepared to wait in line, sometimes 5 hours long)
#2 Salt Lick (quite a drive out of town, but worth it)

You didn't ask, but I love Torchy's Tacos. Great for breakfast and also lunch or dinner. Multiple locations.

Dallas is a big place. What part of Dallas will you be visiting? I have a couple of friends that live in different parts and I'm sure I could get an answer on that one too.
2014-10-22 9:06 PM
in reply to: jackiep

http://www.fedmanwalking.com/content/austins-top-10-bbq

There are also a few places in Dallas that originated in Austin (Torchy's Tacos, Chuy's - Mexican, Hopdoddy's - burgers)
2014-10-23 4:18 PM
in reply to: mx119

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Just remember that BBQ joints in Texas actually run out of meat.  I know Franklin's runs out and I assume J. Mueller runs out as well.  By the time you finish the race, the best places may be out of que.

Salt Lick is a good choice and doesn't run out, but it is BYOB - so if you like a beer with your BBQ, you'd better pick it up on the way.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Never been to TX-doing Austin this weekend Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Talk to me about Austin, TX. Pages: 1 2

Started by JorgeM
Views: 3336 Posts: 40

2009-07-08 4:57 PM TriMikeP1973

Please Read! Especially Austin Tx folk

Started by orion
Views: 1606 Posts: 17

2008-08-12 9:28 AM tinkerbell57

Looking for a good swimming coach in Austin, TX

Started by LonghornBuckeye
Views: 965 Posts: 5

2008-03-31 2:28 PM markmcd

OUr 1st Tri - 3 weeks - cap of tx tri in Austin labor day

Started by jaxthedog
Views: 813 Posts: 2

2007-05-10 10:12 PM snausa

Anyone in Austin, TX

Started by rcjeffers
Views: 1303 Posts: 5

2005-07-16 3:50 PM CitySky
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 7, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
Learn how to top off your muscles with energy during your race weekend taper! Carbo-load correctly and alleviate the possibility of GI distress by choosing the correct foods and when to eat them.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
comments : 0
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle